• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente DVDs

Yes they did have a dramatic change on napster but let’s not forget the recent and huge victory for grokster. Which allow them to stay open, with out any restrictions. Maybe drm is here to stay but it’s going to be a long bumpy road. And quite a bit longer before it’s ever truly put into place. Not to mention how easily bypass able it will be, look at the mod chip trend that has been ruled legal as of late.

And as for the justifications and excuses I thought we were past that?

StonyVision said:
MonkeyK said:
StonyVision, your posts indicate my earlier post is correct. You are just trying to justify what you already know to be wrong.

Why?

Is it really the indignation that they can charge "so much"? Or is it simple convenience? Most software is not outrageously expensive, $20 for a DVD (most are available for less than this) doesn't seem like that much to me.

Are you equally outraged that a good auto mechanic can charge over $100/hour?
yes i am outraged thats why i work on my own stuff, and i never said the dvd at hand. he asked for a good discussion regarding all piricy, i thought id provide, and the thing is we dont dabble with dumb crap like a dvd, or takeing some ones pics or art, we go after stuff like adobe photo shop that they charge over $500 for because they know its mostly for commercial use. So simply piss on the individual who wants to get a start in graphics, i garuntee u with my life that they could simply cut the price of that by 1/3 and still make massive profit. As for movies we go for ones still in theaters, and i own about 100 dvd's of em that i liked.
I'm having a hard time getting what your point is now.

You did say you mostly copied movies, but you compare the price of a DVD to the price of going out to the movies and buying concesion stand snacks. Then you perform a quick market analysis of the price of photshop and conclude that it should cost about 1/3 of its current price.

Finally you make my point for me. You are outraged that a mechanic can cost a lot, so you don't use his service

The rest of your points are equally ellusive. I think you are saying that:
-the people that produce movies, music, software are greedy
-piracy doesn't cost them all that much money
-piracy forces them to make their prices more realistic
-piracy helps them
If I missed a main point, please let me know.

If you applied your same logic to the mechanic, you would go, come by later with a second set of keys and take your car. Why don't you do that?

Here's another question. How do you decide what you will try to crack? How do you decide what to take from what others have cracked? How do you decide which music or movies to take copies of?

Well im going to try to make this short sense im on my lunch break. MonkeyK, I already admitted what I did wasn’t right. And there’s no real justification for it. If anything I do stand by the fact that over the years pirating has played an intricate part in the evolution of electronics and software. Both good and bad. But as I stated earlier on ok, I admit im wrong, I stop. That doesn’t stop the Millions, yes millions of people that are currently pirating music, just hop on kazza, there’s 5.6 million people sharing over 26 terabits of information right now. What dose that have to do with movies, while music is the tip of the ice burg. The general reason people who pirate submit for there actions to bring about a legal and social change so society that would never have been accomplished through legal means. And regardless of what we would like to think, it has. Weather it helps or hurts is an entirely different subject. Hope on google, you will find just as many people who are analyzing the trends who say both ways. All of them creditable with valid points. To say this is simply a black and white matter any more wouldn’t befit the subject because once you employ the activity upon the masses (my train statement) it brings about social acceptability. Such is when it was wrong to drink during the prohibition days. It’s not what’s black and white, it’s what the people agree on to form our social boundaries. WETHER I AGREE OR DISAGREE IM NO LONGER GOING TO STATE. Not yelling, just establishing that. The proposal that the DRM will be a large battle to de-rail the train it truly laughable. It’s simply almost im possible to deploy such a thing. To have effect before the social change has arrcured, one would have to conclude it would have to be implemented va software side. Now is it just me or are these the sample people who are as moki pointed out reverse engineering software to begin with. This obstacle will be simply ripped apart with in a week of employing. Not to mention the fact of trying to employ it since as stated earlier grocksters software was ruled legal in its entirety. So what evidence could be produced to implement such a thing now? On the other had it could go hardwear and start limiting the abilities of dvd players, vcr’s, burning roms ect… But again how dose one make an effective product that deciphers the difference between copying with the intent to distribute and for personal use? Many claim im a scum sucking good for nothing sob who needs to die a horrible death. This I accept and, as before I do admit im wrong. But if you go through life believing that than people you know, probably people you love are scum sucking waists of life too. As always I propose that a real change is occurring, the government and companies have been trying to stop it for 10 years now and have failed in the most part. It’s larger than it’s ever been. People are always going to buy music cds, because they want the original booklets or the dvds because they want to see the extra features. I guarantee that will never change. And as before don’t get caught with your pants down. Also please don’t disregard the points of whether agreeing or disagreeing its simply what I for see coming in the future and I already admitted there’s no justification. Wow that wasn’t short at all I guess.

Why discuss this?
Why advertise you steal?
are you looking to have someone agree with you so you feel better?

s0ber said:
could someone pass the popcorn?
Screw the popcorn, just close this thread.

We've had enough pissing matches around here the past few days to fill up an Olympic sized pool. :p

MilesMingusMonk said:
s0ber said:
could someone pass the popcorn?
Screw the popcorn, just close this thread.

We've had enough pissing matches around here the past few days to fill up an Olympic sized pool. :p
It would be even more classy if we could agree to just drop it with having the little red lock next to the thread.

It looks like Stony and I are willing. Now it's up to the rest of us to self-regulate ans use self-restraint.

Cheers,
Dixie