• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gas Prices

Here in MA, gas is already at $3.30 a gallon for regular, and they're now saying that in the next few weeks it could reach as high as $5 a gallon. This is getting ridiculous. I commute to my co-op 40+miles one way, everyday. At $5 a gallon I think i'd rather ride my bicycle to work, and deal with never sleeping.

I wished I was paying $3.30 a gallon. We have crossed over $3.59 and by Thursday we will be near $4 a gallon. :(

With all the refineries in Houston I would think they'd be giving away a tanker of gas with every 10th sandwich purchased at Subway. What keeps the price so high there?

Aliens, dude.

Drill baby, drill!

Here in Australia fuel is $1.40 a Litre which equates to $5.85 a Gallon. Its a bloody outrage. :angry:

$1.15 per litre here. Equals $4.25 per gallon. Price recently jumped up from $1.00. Ugh.

So you delay the nation's dependence on foreign oil for a 100 years or so, keep the oil industry plump and rich, and still ignore investing in viable, clean, non-enviorment taxing, and eternally available sources of energy such as sun, wind, etc?

Sounds like a plan. BTW, this will start to get too political in 3...2...

Re: The Bakken oil field~

Snopes: Don't Repost Bullshit Without Them

I'm told if we hadn't let Detroit water down, delay, and effectively gut proposed higher mpg requirements back in the early Seventies, we wouldn't need ANY foreign oil today. No idea if that's completely true or not, but every time I see another bloated Excursaburbanade lumber by me with ONE person in it and a kickball sticker for "Muffy" on its rear glass, I heave a heavy, heavy sigh.

~Boar

This is the new reality. There isn't enough domestic oil supply to make a dent in oil imports. People talk about the billions of barrels of oil in this field or that. It's a drop in the bucket when you consume 20.7 million barrels a day. Besides, oil is a global commodity. We get most of our oil from countries in the western hemisphere yet still pay about the same as a European country that might get its oil from Libya.

In my opinion, the remaining oil should be used for critical things such as the military, necessary petrochemicals, and the aviation industry. We shouldn't be using the remaining supplies for automobiles.

I am a 60 mile a day commuter. Got a VW Jetta turbo diesel that gets about 42 MPG, which I really dig.

Saw diesel last night from $3.91 to $4.04 / gal. Yikes.....

When i got the car (2004), diesel was lots cheaper than regular grade gas. Sadly, those days are a memory......

Diesel here in Tucson is as high as $3.99 a gallon. My last fill up stopped the pump at $100.00 and I wasn't even full yet. On average I do 2 fill ups a month. The Cannondale is looking like it'll be pulled out of the garage soon.

Driving through Beverly Hills yesterday I saw $4.29 for 92, it's going to hit $5+ by Memorial Day. :angry:

I am a 60 mile a day commuter. Got a VW Jetta turbo diesel that gets about 42 MPG, which I really dig.

When i got the car (2004), diesel was lots cheaper than regular grade gas. Sadly, those days are a memory......

Which makes no sense as it takes less to refine diesel.

Which makes no sense as it takes less to refine diesel.

I don't know about that. A lot of the price for diesel comes from the more stringent diesel sulfur standards which increases refining costs. It wasn't that way until recently. From what I understand, the Federal excise tax on diesel is also more than gasoline. Also, with diesel, it really is all about supply and demand. When a refinery produces it's liquid distillates, it produces those in highest demand first...that is generally gasoline, kerosene and heating oil.

Supply and demand....

I don't want to get into a political type discussion about this, but its been years since supply and demand has made ANY difference whatsoever. Libya is in turmoil, and stops production. As a result, Saudi Arabia says "we will supply ANYTHING that libya doesn't (ABOVE and BEYOND our current export)". Price increases. That is not how supply and demand works, at least how I remember it.

I'm told if we hadn't let Detroit water down, delay, and effectively gut proposed higher mpg requirements back in the early Seventies, we wouldn't need ANY foreign oil today. No idea if that's completely true or not, but every time I see another bloated Excursaburbanade lumber by me with ONE person in it and a kickball sticker for "Muffy" on its rear glass, I heave a heavy, heavy sigh.

~Boar

I am one of those guys except I don't have a muffy sticker...my sticker says "Thanks for driving a Prius...I need your gas."

try a vehicle with a 127gal tank that gets 3mpg!! :laugh:

Me thinks boating this summer will be reduced - but at least the trade off is food on the table.

Any diesel just hit $4 a gallon up here. I'm with Tom... I bought my truck on '00 and it was 30 cents cheaper for diesel then. Bastard oil companies!

~Boar

I am one of those guys except I don't have a muffy sticker...my sticker says "Thanks for driving a Prius...I need your gas."

Some people NEED a big SUV. Probably one in, oh, a hunnert or so as has one . . . :rolleyes:

Soccer moms, however, do not. All that sheet metal might be making them safer but it's hell on the rest of us. Every watch one of 'em trying to navigate their way out of a supermarket parking slot? Sheeeesh!

We got sold on "bigger is better" crazy because Detroit couldn't compete in the fuel-efficient, well-made, sensible vehicle category. Like any good car lot flimflam man, they sold us what they had, not what we actually needed, and made us believe it was what we wanted.

I'm in Texas, where trucks are a religion. It's just nuts here.

~Boar

~Boar

Some people NEED a big SUV. Probably one in, oh, a hunnert or so as has one . . . :rolleyes:

Soccer moms, however, do not. All that sheet metal might be making them safer but it's hell on the rest of us. Every watch one of 'em trying to navigate their way out of a supermarket parking slot? Sheeeesh!

We got sold on "bigger is better" crazy because Detroit couldn't compete in the fuel-efficient, well-made, sensible vehicle category. Like any good car lot flimflam man, they sold us what they had, not what we actually needed, and made us believe it was what we wanted.

I'm in Texas, where trucks are a religion. It's just nuts here.

~Boar

Indeed. I miss my old Chevy truck, but I definitely don't miss the 11 mpg it was getting. I used it for everything, but in the end, buying a smaller car made sense.

The public is pretty short sighted. I remember after the bottom fell out in the economy, and with it, the price of gas. It wasn't long after and you could see people back to buying SUVs and pickups. Now, these will be the same people crying as gas prices only steadily increase.

The economy and this country need to move away from petroleum. We are a petroleum based economy which is not wise. Imagine...this economy and this country lives or dies based on the whims of some dictators in a far off land. I don't blame any president in particular because EACH and EVERY ADMINISTRATION has never had a sound energy policy. We will be the ones that pay for it, unfortunately.

$80 to fill up my wife's SUV.

$800 to fill my home oil tank.

Pellet stove coming this spring ... PRICELESS!

And to add, I don't believe we should tap the national oil reserve. We should have started new drilling years ago, alternative (and green) solutions are still cost prohibitive at this point.

$80 to fill up my wife's SUV.

$800 to fill my home oil tank.

Pellet stove coming this spring ... PRICELESS!

And to add, I don't believe we should tap the national oil reserve. We should have started new drilling years ago, alternative (and green) solutions are still cost prohibitive at this point.

Alternative solutions as opposed to the current solutions? There simply is not enough domestic oil to offset the amount we use daily. Granted, any helps, but I am against using oil for transportation when we should be using it for the military, aviation, and petrochemicals.

Alternative energy sources are becoming more cost effective, and when you think about it...are probably in line with what the true cost of oil from the middle east is. There are additional costs that need to be factored in...pumping it out of the ground, pumping it to a terminal to ship across the world etc is one thing...don't forget the billions of dollars we spent to protect oil shipments and to attempt to maintain governments that are favorable to the west. It isn't sustainable.