• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting a Handle on your "Handle"

LouTam

I thought it would be an interesting thread to read about the members screen names and the stories behind them.

Some monikers are puzzling/unique/ and down right odd. So for those members who would like to share, let's post your stories behind the name.

I will kick it off, however mine is boring, it is a combination of my wife's and I's name. Lou+Tami=LouTam :thumbs:

Lou

Mine's fairly simple too.

"Bimmer" is the slang word for a BMW car. 635CSi is the most gorgeous body car in the last 30 years produced by BMW. Since I own 2 of them, I just started using it as a handle.

P.S. It is not "beemer". That is slang for BMW motorcycles. Also, it is not "beamer". It is not made of wood beams. "Bimmer" is the proper spelling the German language, but most Americans have bastardized the name (much like other foreign words).

Cheers,
Chris

KeyserSoze (aka: Verbal Kint) from one of my all time favorite movies 'The Usual Suspects'. A classic right next to Scarface.

My nickname at the gym I train at is Tugboat. A couple guys started calling me Tugboat when I first joined the gym and 3 years later I'm still Tugboat. :)

Stephen "King" and Piers "Ant"hony, two of my favorite authors.

Well mine is fairly simple. When I was in High School all my friends called me Midget. Can you guess why? I also had a English friend that always called me "Mad" because he thought I was crazy because of the way I carried on at some of the parties we had and went to. So, I put the 2 together and came up with Madmidget. Easy enough.

Mines simple. Sims is my last name and the smokin' should be obvious.

A Devil Dog is a Marine, the baddest warrior on the planet. A Devil Doc is a Marine baby sitter. The baddest warriors in the world need someone to nag them about changing their socks and taking care of their cranks and that's what I did for 20 fuggin' years. And y'all wonder why I got such a sweet disposition.

Doc.

In college one of my teammates started calling me Selly Sell (my last name is Sell, apparently there was a rapper named Celly Cel?). My roomates morphed this to Smelly Sell, and it's never been taken anywhere I've tried using it as a username, so I stick with it. Had I known I was actually going to be active on this board, I would have chosen something else. :laugh:

Well, I'm really terrible at remembering things like usernames, and passwords so I get real fancy.
BSneed51 - Brent Sneed and I wear/wore 51 in all sports that I play.

Back at the onset of Yahoo's free email service I tried to register misterea (mister rea) but it was taken.

mysterea wasn't.

Before that twas 'bootesshick' and back in the BBS days 'guru's pouch' (stupid, but hey, I was 12)

My name is Marc but in my high school Spanish class everyone had to call me Marcos and the name just stuck. If I run into someone from high school that I haven't seen they will still call me that.

My last name... I know it's a stretch. I'm proud of my heritage, as well I should be. Plus, in high school everyone called me by my last name...there's still quite a few who never knew my first name!

Derek

My mates call me Anvil. They reckon I look like some good looking wrestler type dude.

I reckon its because of the sound I make when I get hit :laugh:

Hrmm.. Well the Syr refers to the inner knight in myself (yes, I'm one of those that believes in chivalry and all that crap) and my namesake, Linus from the Peanuts. :) Very simple and nothing too exciting.

Mine is just a combo First last name plus I was gaming alot and thought 101 was like college since I would school ya!! :)

Don

Here's my story, as I explained it on the Newbie 101 #2 pass....

The Garvey handle is one I've used since the early 1990s when I first discovered the beauty of the internet. At the time I was in graduate school at Indiana University and taking my first courses in Early American Public Address. I developed a fascination with the abolitionist movement and, ultimately, the black nationalist movement of the mid-19th and early 20th centuries.

My first major research project focused on Marcus Garvey and his relationship to other African-American leaders like WEB Dubois and Booker T. Washington. The project was consuming so much of my time that a group of my friends literally dragged my out of my apartment and took me to a house party at some mutual friends. Well, several shots of tequilla later -- combined with beers and god knows what else -- I was absolutely wrecked. Wrecked to the point of stripping into my boxers and climbing into one of the empty beds upstairs. All was cool until....

About 60 minutes later I ran down the stairs in only my boxer shorts yelling "Marcus Garvey! Marcus Garvey! Marcus Garvey!" and sat down at a computer and started typing. Now realize, I remember none of this. Apparently I was talking jibberish about some great idea I had for my project and my friends let me type for about 15 minutes before they put me back to bed to sleep it off.

When I awoke late the next morning there was a piece of paper next to my clothes -- a printout of my great idea for my project -- and a handwritten note that said "Hey Garvey, absolutely brilliant!" And on that paper? Random keystrokes that a gorilla could have put together. It took a few hours to recreate the evening -- an evening that I never lived down -- and "Garvey" became a grad school name that stuck.... And I've used it online ever since.

Here's my story, as I explained it on the Newbie 101 #2 pass....

The Garvey handle is one I've used since the early 1990s when I first discovered the beauty of the internet. At the time I was in graduate school at Indiana University and taking my first courses in Early American Public Address. I developed a fascination with the abolitionist movement and, ultimately, the black nationalist movement of the mid-19th and early 20th centuries.

My first major research project focused on Marcus Garvey and his relationship to other African-American leaders like WEB Dubois and Booker T. Washington. The project was consuming so much of my time that a group of my friends literally dragged my out of my apartment and took me to a house party at some mutual friends. Well, several shots of tequilla later -- combined with beers and god knows what else -- I was absolutely wrecked. Wrecked to the point of stripping into my boxers and climbing into one of the empty beds upstairs. ohmy.gif All was cool until....

About 60 minutes later I ran down the stairs in only my boxer shorts yelling "Marcus Garvey! Marcus Garvey! Marcus Garvey!" and sat down at a computer and started typing. Now realize, I remember none of this. Apparently I was talking jibberish about some great idea I had for my project and my friends let me type for about 15 minutes before they put me back to bed to sleep it off.

When I awoke late the next morning there was a piece of paper next to my clothes -- a printout of my great idea for my project -- and a handwritten note that said "Hey Garvey, absolutely brilliant!" And on that paper? Random keystrokes that a gorilla could have put together. It took a few hours to recreate the evening -- an evening that I never lived down -- and "Garvey" became a grad school name that stuck.... And I've used it online ever since.

It seems everyone has a "naked Tequila" story. Remind me sometime to regale you all about the time I ......

Lou