• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting into beer, finally...

Rod, that's excellent. The CP BAers won't steer you wrong. Enjoy!

So far Blue Moon, Shock Top Belgian White, Sierra Nevada Summer Ale, Firestone Double Barrel and Chimay Blue are some that I've tried and liked. I know this is just touching the surface. After perusing the beer aisle of hundreds of varietals last night, I'll be expanding my horizons very soon. I looked up Duvel on BA, and it got an A+, so I can't wait to try it. I hear it has a pretty significant head. :D

I'll certainly try to take Mike up on his invite!

I would recommend looking into some good beer but not too expensive to start trying ...
Just Outstanding IPA ($4.50 22oz)
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid ($6 22oz)
Class V Stout ($6 22oz)
Firestone Union Jack
Firestone Walker's Reserve
Mad River Steelhead Scotch Porter
Goose Island Matilda
Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (not bad for 750ml $5.99)
Stockyard Oatmeal Stout ($6 for 6 pack)
Alesmith IPA
Stone Ruination

If you like these and you can come to my tasting then you will get to try some Barrel Aged beers :thumbs: :thumbs:

I will be looking to probably do it early November ... get a few guys and do it in my garage so we can enjoy some beer and smoke some cigars!

Sounds great, thanks Mike! I'll look for those beers next time I head to the store.

A lot of great beers posted so far!

These are just a few of my favorite brews, that always hit the spot.

Pales/IPA's
Stone IPA / Ruination IPA
Dogfish Head 60 / 90 minute IPA
Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale / Inversion IPA
Dale's Pale Ale
Lagunitas IPA / Maximus

Smoked (Great with a cigar)
Stone Smoked Porter
Alaskan Smoked Porter

Other Favorites
Stone Cali-Belgique
Murphy's Stout
Boddington's Pub Ale
Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier / Festbier
Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen

http://beeradvocate....um/read/2916163

http://beeradvocate....um/read/2860743

http://beeradvocate....um/read/2902373

That's just the tip of the iceberg on the subject. There are people reporting that there are good bottles out there as well so it must have been an issue with certain batches...there's no way to tell if you have a good bottle right now though. I even read a press release from Deschutes about it that said they had taken a few bottles and "heat" aged them and indeed found an increase in lactobacillus which is what causes the sour flavor in an infected beer. Supposedly you can take them back to the brewery for a refund if you wish.

I have one left that I put in the fridge when this whole infection issue first came up on beeradvocate so hopefully it's still good. I plan to open it soon.
You beat me to the punch, thanks Greg.

Yeah these are one off bottles so more than likely you may have a good bottle but there are some bad bottles out there. I still love Deschutes! :blush: :blush:
....wow. I had no idea. Thanks for the info, guys.....!!....:thumbs:

We've gone through a lot of bombers, and haven't had a bad one yet. I have one in the fridge that is scheduled to meet its demise tomorrow night.

Quite the contrary, The Abyss is still perhaps the best beer I've ever had. Complex beyond words, smooth as silk.....just phenominal. Oh, thought you'd never know it while drinking it, at 11% it's got a bit of a punch at the end of the day, as well......:p

Cheers, gents - B.B.S.

Mike, let me know about that beer tasting. I'd TOTALLY be down! Hopefully after the 8th, as I'm in a leg cast right now and should be in a walking boot by then.

Ain't it great when you "See the light". I'd rather not drink if all I can get is Bud type beer. Sam Adams is as low as I can go. You can't get a better guide than Mas_Puros.

Awesome Rod! I too am really getting into beer, 'nother damn slippery slope! But, it's slippery from all the GOOD BEER!! HAHAHAHA! :D

My buddy Ray and I just ordered a Coopers home brewing kit along with a second Stout brew kit, should be here tomorrow! Yep...the slippery slope just got slippery...er.

Greg - Keep us posted on your home brewing. Would be great to see pics/storyline of the process from start to finish. Sounds like a good addition to Tobacco Tales!

Greg - Keep us posted on your home brewing. Would be great to see pics/storyline of the process from start to finish. Sounds like a good addition to Tobacco Tales!

Definitely planning to Rod! Gonna try and do video as well as take pics.

Rod...this time of year the Oktoberfest and Pumpkin ales are popular, but of you get the chance to try it...my favorite fall beer is 50/50 mix of Saranac Caramel Porter and Saranac Pumpkin Ale. Delicious... Enjoy your foray into the world of beer.

BBS, you guys got that on tap!? I'm jealous! I had a bomber of it and it was nice but I know with some age it'll be quite awesome. BTW, Black Butte is in my top 5 favs of all time.
Yes, here in beer heaven, we have The Abyss on tap.....:love: The Abyss launch part downtown is really an event....and hell yes, I'll be there...!!!
With some bottles being infected the last release, did they say they identified the issue and resolve it? I am aging 3 Abyss 09' ... kind of afraid to open :(

Aren't they suppose to release Dissident soon as well?

My guess would be that the second question possibly answers the first...

Rob > Two words: Alesmith IPA

The big boys can't hold a candle to the flavors of local brews. In the days (1950's) before Anheuser and the other big monopolies took over; there were nothing but local breweries. Most corner bars brewed their own. I love the fact that we're getting back to basics. I ’m a big IPA fan, Sierra Nevada, Dog Fish Head, Flying Dog, Magic Hat, Harpoon, ect. Whenever I travel I do my best to savor the local flavors in food and brew. It's all about finding what you like.
Good luck.
Tom

I love the Belgian Ales. Especially the Trappist Ales. Chimay Blue is excellent.
Rochefort and Westmalle varieties are also outstanding.

So far Blue Moon, Shock Top Belgian White, Sierra Nevada Summer Ale, Firestone Double Barrel and Chimay Blue are some that I've tried and liked. I know this is just touching the surface. After perusing the beer aisle of hundreds of varietals last night, I'll be expanding my horizons very soon. I looked up Duvel on BA, and it got an A+, so I can't wait to try it. I hear it has a pretty significant head. :D

I'll certainly try to take Mike up on his invite!

I would recommend looking into some good beer but not too expensive to start trying ...
Just Outstanding IPA ($4.50 22oz)
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid ($6 22oz)
Class V Stout ($6 22oz)
Firestone Union Jack
Firestone Walker's Reserve
Mad River Steelhead Scotch Porter
Goose Island Matilda
Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (not bad for 750ml $5.99)
Stockyard Oatmeal Stout ($6 for 6 pack)
Alesmith IPA
Stone Ruination

If you like these and you can come to my tasting then you will get to try some Barrel Aged beers :thumbs: :thumbs:

I will be looking to probably do it early November ... get a few guys and do it in my garage so we can enjoy some beer and smoke some cigars!

I would be very into coming to this as well, Mike. :thumbs:

You can make Mike do whatever as long as you have that growler of Citra. Its going to be released again soon...

You can make Mike do whatever as long as you have that growler of Citra. Its going to be released again soon...

Ive done the 2 hour drive to Isabella just to get the Citra growlers before.....I'll do it again!!! I havent heard anything about more Citra brewing, but my mouth is already watering.

Pick me up a growler of their pumpkin beer while you're at it. I'll make it worth your while.

Heard on BA that release of Citra will be first week of November. As for the pumpkin ale, it's bottled so good bottle shops should carry them.

Pick me up a growler of their pumpkin beer while you're at it. I'll make it worth your while.

First announcement of fresh Citra and I'm going. Will definitely grab you a growler of Pumpkin, Jeff.