• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Give it time... what if I don't want to wait.

Spanishcedar

Premium Grade Lumber Stock
***In this post: a collective and subjective list of cuban cigars that smoke well young or with age ***

please feel free to contribute to this thread if you have experience w/ ISOMs, your contributions/opinions are greatly appreciated
... you can also view my CC experiences (quick notes) as I try them @ post #31

I've got some monty no. 3's that have been aging for about a year, and probably need a couple more. What cubans are good fresh out of the box?

I think Esplendidos are pretty good out of the box, but definitely get better with age. What else...

Couldn't get any hits on the search for this one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinions and lists consolidated as much as possible, I'm still figuring out all of these abbreviations... haha (Don't be offended if your quote didn't make it in there, it probably got deleted by accident... it was mayhem putting this list of greatness together.

Sometime in late '05/early '06, Cuba started introducing aged fillers into their cigars. I can't remember if it was just the filler and not the binder or for how long it was aged, but it has helped immensely in making fresh cigars smokable sooner rather than later. I haven't had any cigars that I can think that have been "sick" when fresh in the last couple of years. The cigars still might be wet, however, and this can still make them horrible. This has been the case with a lot of the regional releases...

Smoke Well With Age:

Cohiba especials
Ramon Allones x2
Partagas
El Rey del Mundo
Por Larrañaga
H. Upmann
05 Epi 2's (Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2)
RAG from 2005 and back.
PSD4- I'll usually smoke the first half of the box and throw the rest into storage because with just a couple of years of age, it truly becomes an incredible smoke.

Young

Romeo Y Julieta Escudo EL 2007
Hoyo De Monterrey Regalos EL 2007
Trinidad Ingenios EL 2007
Bolivar Petit Belicosos EL 2009
Party Shorts - Partaga's
BGM x4
Hoyo epicure no. 2's
Hoyo De Monterrey's
Cohiba robustos
VR
Punch
RyJ
Bolivar RC's (Although I find it best to dry box for a day before smoking one).
BFB (Bolivar Belicosos Finos) x2
Bolivars (some)
Montes
Montecristo No. 2
Monte PE (Petite Edmundos) x2 with little age.
Trinidad
PSP2 (Partagas Serie P. No. 2), smoke great young
PSD4 (Partagas Serie D. No. 4) x3
ERDM CS x3 (El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme)
VR Famoso x2
RASCC (RASS) (Ramon Allones Specially Selected (In Cab)) x6
RAG (Ramon Allones Gigantes)
RYJ Short Churchill's
Punch DC (Double Coronas)
H. Uppman magnums 46 x2
JL #2s x2 (Specifically 07's)
Por Larranaga PC (Petite Coronas) they are great smokes now
CM5 x2 (Cohiba - Maduro 5 line), the Secretos in particular but the Genios and Magicos are also good for my taste
Cohiba Siglo IV

The other thing we've got to keep in mind is the pace of changes over the last 2 years and then the 5 years prior to that. Habanos SA have been doing some things with respect to processing and maybe tobacco strains as well and who knows what else. My sense is that these years have not been a time of stability and so opinions on age and youth don't have a consistent and stable baseline to start from. In other words, "ROTT" and "a bit of age" may have dramatically different implications whether the comment was made in 2006 or 2008 and relative to 2004, 2006, or 2007 production.

Wilkey

Sc, as a new smoker, things will taste different to you than to some of us long term smokers...our base line is totally different. We've smoked more cigars of varying profiles and we all subconsciously compare them to one another automatically. So when you ask us to recommend a young cigar, it's subjective.

If you smoke a cigar and like it, keep smoking them regardless of what any of us recommend. Don't ever let anyone tell you what you like....YOU like what YOU like. But use what they say as a excellent starting point.

I read this post and agree with half and disagree with half because I like what I like.

Brian #1 (Infinity) said he likes BGMs (Bolivar Gold Metals) and I tend to agree.

Wilkey (Ginseng) on the other hand recommends aging Por Larrañaga...I smoke the Petite Coronas right out of the box, 2007s that is, and get about 2/3 of a great smoke out of one. But I agree with him about the Trindads, my '07 boxes of Reyes & Colonials smoke decently.

My point being that these 2 gentlemen are experienced Cuban Cigar smokers who's opinion I value...but sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.

I happen to think the San Cristóbal de La Habana El Principe and La Punta smoke well young...but that's me. My closest smoking buddy says I'm insane with that statement! I think I'm less stringent when it comes to smoking an entire cigar....if I get a pleasurable experience from 2/3 to 3/4 of the stick, I'm happy.

The point being, that's what makes this whole cigar thing very interesting...the passionate debates and the varying taste of all the individuals.....most smokers have a different opinion on most of it.

There was all good info in this post about what cigars smoke young and what cigars should be aged a bit from some great, knowledgeable people.....make sure you take note of that.

So your assignment is to sample them all and take notes about what you thought about each cigar....and we will be waiting to read your opinion about them.

Good Luck

Count mark to post #30

Discounting the last third of the smoke getting hot a little soon, I have had luck with the recent releases. The only way to tell is to smoke the sticks in question. They might be better in three or ten years, but if they are enjoyable now, smoke ahead!

Lately there are several that are smoking well younger, BGM comes to mind. However, many others from 2006/2007 are pretty good.

I'm not sure if anything has changed or if it's just me! Perhaps they are drying their tobacco a little longer or ??? but I'm finding more Marca's smoking well younger.

Brian

I am really enjoying the BGM's and also the Hoyo epicure no. 2's smoking real well young. Alot of people have said the Cohiba robustos are eral good young, but I feel like they need more sleep for my taste.

Don

Sometime in late '05/early '06, Cuba started introducing aged fillers into their cigars. I can't remember if it was just the filler and not the binder or for how long it was aged, but it has helped immensely in making fresh cigars smokable sooner rather than later. I haven't had any cigars that I can think that have been "sick" when fresh in the last couple of years. The cigars still might be wet, however, and this can still make them horrible. This has been the case with a lot of the regional releases...

But I digress, as far as specific brands that don't need much time, I would say VR, most Punch, most HDMs, RyJ, Montes, and some Bolivars. I would say Cohiba, Ramon Allones, and Partagas benefit the most from a couple of years. YMMV, however.

But I digress, as far as specific brands that don't need much time, I would say VR, most Punch, most HDMs, RyJ, Montes, and some Bolivars. I would say Cohiba, Ramon Allones, and Partagas benefit the most from a couple of years. YMMV, however.
I generally agree with those lists. I'd also add El Rey del Mundo, Por Larrañaga and H. Upmann to the list of marcas that need time. Trinidad I'd say smoke pretty well on the young side, especially the Reyes.

Wilkey

I generally agree with those lists. I'd also add El Rey del Mundo, Por Larrañaga and H. Upmann to the list of marcas that need time. Trinidad I'd say smoke pretty well on the young side, especially the Reyes.

Wilkey
....dunno, I got a recent box of RASS that are smoking incredibly right off the bat. Smoked one the day they came in and can't seem to keep out of 'em..... :whistling:

Personal preference and individual tastes apply, etc....

Regards - B.B.S.

Of the Cuban Cigars I've smoked, I'd have to say that I much prefer the Fresh rolled flavor of any of the Marcas I've been fortunate enough to smoke. Most especially PSD4 and Montecristo No. 2

The cigars I purchase and smoke without aging are PSD4, ERDM CS, VR Famoso, BGM, RASCC, and Party Shorts. However, with the PSD4, I'll usually smoke the first half of the box and throw the rest into storage because with just a couple of years of age, it truly becomes an incredible smoke.

Wilkey
....dunno, I got a recent box of RASS that are smoking incredibly right off the bat. Smoked one the day they came in and can't seem to keep out of 'em..... :whistling:

Regards - B.B.S.

Very true...the '07 RASS, RASCC, and RAG all have been outstanding imo. I feel like RA and Cohiba benefit the most from laying the box down a couple of years, however. They may be 9 now, but with several years to let the flavors marry better, they will be off the charts (hopefully anyways :cool:).

You can only be the judge for yourself on this though as everyone's taste differ....

The RYJ Short Churchill's seem to come around really fast. So do the PSD4, Punch DC, and Bolivar RC's/Gold Medals (Although I find it best to dry box the latter for a day before smoking one).

Regards - B.B.S.
Very true...the '07 RASS, RASCC, and RAG all have been outstanding imo. I feel like RA and Cohiba benefit the most from laying the box down a couple of years, however. They may be 9 now, but with several years to let the flavors marry better, they will be off the charts (hopefully anyways :cool:).

You can only be the judge for yourself on this though as everyone's taste differ....
I'm down with that. recent RASS and RASSC are quite enjoyable. RAG from 2005 and back, not ready IMO.

Wilkey

Regards - B.B.S.

I'm down with that. recent RASS and RASSC are quite enjoyable. RAG from 2005 and back, not ready IMO.

Wilkey

Well then, I guess I am just going to have to send you a RAG from '07 to change your mind :whistling:

What cubans are good fresh out of the box?
...the ones you smoke and enjoy.

Sc, as a new smoker, things will taste different to you than to some of us long term smokers...our base line is totally different. We've smoked more cigars of varying profiles and we all subconsciously compare them to one another automatically. So when you ask us to recommend a young cigar, it's subjective.

If you smoke a cigar and like it, keep smoking them regardless of what any of us recommend. Don't ever let anyone tell you what you like....YOU like what YOU like. But use what they say as a excellent starting point.

I read this post and agree with half and disagree with half because I like what I like.

Brian #1 (Infinity) said he likes BGMs (Bolivar Gold Metals) and I tend to agree.

Wilkey (Ginseng) on the other hand recommends aging Por Larrañaga...I smoke the Petite Coronas right out of the box, 2007s that is, and get about 2/3 of a great smoke out of one. But I agree with him about the Trindads, my '07 boxes of Reyes & Colonials smoke decently.

My point being that these 2 gentlemen are experienced Cuban Cigar smokers who's opinion I value...but sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.

I happen to think the San Cristóbal de La Habana El Principe and La Punta smoke well young...but that's me. My closest smoking buddy says I'm insane with that statement! I think I'm less stringent when it comes to smoking an entire cigar....if I get a pleasurable experience from 2/3 to 3/4 of the stick, I'm happy.

The point being, that's what makes this whole cigar thing very interesting...the passionate debates and the varying taste of all the individuals.....most smokers have a different opinion on most of it.

There was all good info in this post about what cigars smoke young and what cigars should be aged a bit from some great, knowledgeable people.....make sure you take note of that.

So your assignment is to sample them all and take notes about what you thought about each cigar....and we will be waiting to read your opinion about them.

Good Luck

Wilkey

i cant agree with you there wilkey, i think the 07 & recent 08 erdm choix supremes are my favorite recent production cigars. also, the mag 46 isnt to bad rott either.

a case of different strokes?

Wilkey
Well then, I guess I am just going to have to send you a RAG from '07 to change your mind :whistling:
Yikes! We've got to do a little trade then. :)

Damn, but you make sense. Stop that! :laugh:

But seriously. When interpreting folks comments, knowing something more about the other's habits and sensibilities can be quite helpful in figuring out what advice to heed and what to disregard. Allow me to share a bit. :) Regarding the vaunted PLPC, I am generally not a fan of these, especially when young. I've 05, 06, and 07 on hand and I find none of them "enjoyable" in the sense that I like the balance and progression. This applies to the PL Lonsdale ER from Germany as well. 2004 and 2001, I can smoke and enjoy. I will add that of the several 2006 I've sampled, I have been very impressed. Lots of substance and potential for development. 2005, ehh. 2007, no point in lighting one up now, for me at least. Recent conversations have me thinking though and I'm considering moving a clutch of these out of the 65% cooler and into a <60% dry box.

As for SCdLH, I enjoy the La Fuerza, but I just cannot see the magic of the El Principe. I've smoked a bunch of various vintages and I just don't like 'em so the age factor for me wouldn't even be relevant in this case. Different strokes, for sure.

Wilkey
i cant agree with you there wilkey, i think the 07 & recent 08 erdm choix supremes are my favorite recent production cigars. also, the mag 46 isnt to bad rott either.

a case of different strokes?
Drew,

You might well be right about the Choix Supremes. I just recently sampled an 07 that blew my head off. It was very substantial. A really good cigar. Have not tried the 2008. My 2005 Mag46 are just starting to wake up and I haven't tried one from a 2007 cab I recently obtained. But they do smell good. I think that maybe I was unconsciously dwelling on the Grandes de España and Lunch Club. The LC are good fresh but so much nicer with just a touch of age.

You're right about different strokes though. While some folks enjoy having a little age on any cigar they smoke and some like most if not all ROTT, I'd speculate that the majority find a range of age enjoyable and can appreciate pretty much anything with between 1-3 years...which is pretty young.

The other thing we've got to keep in mind is the pace of changes over the last 2 years and then the 5 years prior to that. Habanos SA have been doing some things with respect to processing and maybe tobacco strains as well and who knows what else. My sense is that these years have not been a time of stability and so opinions on age and youth don't have a consistent and stable baseline to start from. In other words, "ROTT" and "a bit of age" may have dramatically different implications whether the comment was made in 2006 or 2008 and relative to 2004, 2006, or 2007 production.

Wilkey

Nice discussion.

I haven't smoked many 05, 06 or 07's. However, I would heartily second the JL#2 07's being excellent ROTT, the 05 Epi 2's definitely were not.

To reference the thread title, you do want to wait. IMHO habanos benefit greatly from age. Their complexities tend to be more subtle than other countries of origin and as such are revealed as they mellow. Now this is a broad generalization, but directionally correct.

I'm sure I have, but I can't remember a bad aged habano because of the tobacco. I certainly recall a number of them with construction issues that rendered them unsmokable.

As far as being new, I would agree with earlier points that everyone is different, but what hooked me on this hobby was an aged cuban. I knew right away that I liked and some of my earliest smokes are my most memorable.

Very good points Gary (ironpeddler).

I agree with you on the PLPC, they are great smokes now. The regional release Robusto tasted good to me several months ago, time to re-visit. However, the other PL, IMO, need a little down time.

PSP2, smoke great young. RASS and RASCC smoke well young, to name a few.

Mike makes an interesting point about the aged fillers, could be that times are changing.

On a side note, I love the CM5, the Secretos in particular but the Genios and Magicos are also good for my taste. Coincidentally, I just nubbed a Magicos, it was excellent.

Brian