• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Give it time... what if I don't want to wait.

Wow, what a great lot of information! Thanks a lot for all of the recommendations fellas! It's gonna take me a while to absorb all of this info. Great stuff

...the ones you smoke and enjoy.
I agree with that
There was all good info in this post about what cigars smoke young and what cigars should be aged a bit from some great, knowledgeable people.....make sure you take note of that.
I will don't worry
So your assignment is to sample them all and take notes about what you thought about each cigar....and we will be waiting to read your opinion about them.
I do the best I can
Good Luck
And thanks I'm gonna need it!

Good effort. Nicely done! :thumbs:

Wilkey
I'm still figuring out all of these abbreviations...
Wilkey,

I think we all have to make a concerted effort to lay off the acronyms with the new members :laugh:
I do have to admit, they drive me nuts too. :laugh:

It's bad enough I have to bark at my kids when they use them during text messaging on our cell phones...now I have to reference a website to figure out the cigar translations when I'm on CP :laugh:

#1 is off the hook with them, his responses need footnotes!...it takes me 20 minutes to transcibe them :laugh:

PS: thanks for referring to your grilling cigar as a Quintero Brevas in another thread...if you typed QyHB, I would have stuck pins in a Wilkey doll! :angry: :laugh:

Spanishcedar,

Great job at putting your thoughts on paper, it helps to write this kind of information down. Your next step is to get a notebook and write down what your impressions are on each cigar you smoke. Make note of the day you smoked it, brand, size, where you got it from, age, visual impressions, how you cut it, pre-light taste, initial light up taste notes...then break it down to 1/4 or 1/3 as how the cigar profile changed to your taste buds...or if it changes at all. Take note of how it burns throughout the entire cigar (if you had to re-light and how often), how the ash holds or doesn't, what color the ash is, and how the wrapper holds up during smoking. Some people make note of how much smoke is produced, I'm not one of those folks...if it matters to you, just write it down. One thing I always do during this time is I hold the cigar a few feet away from me and cup my other hand to bring the burning cigar smoke towards my nose to smell it....taste is just one sense, smell is another. When I take the cigar away from my mouth and nose and then bring new smoke back towards my nose, it gives me another perspective on the cigar. Most of the time I make an entire page for each cigar leaving room for the next time I smoke that same cigar again, if your impression changes, write it down, if not, don't. Keep in mind that when you drink alcohol, it will have an impression on your taste buds. Write down what you are drinking during the cigar evaluation. When I smoke a new cigar that I know I will write down tasting note on, I always drink water. Save the alcohol consumption for when you smoke another of the same cigar with friends...but always make a mental notes on how the cigar tastes different by what you were drinking....beer, wine(style), scotch, bourbon, etc.

But always remember, write this down in your own words....if a member says a certain cigar has notes of pepper and you don't taste it that way, DON'T WRITE THAT DOWN. Just do it in your own words, the way it presents itself to you. My tasting notes are for my eyes only because they are written in a manor that I understand...and my impressions are not open for debate....I do that during a verbal conversation with a fellow cigar smoker. I suggest you do the same, remember...you're never wrong! You write down what you feel and taste. The writing down of the tasting notes for a new cigar can be quite pleasurable and fun...making it a kind of personal event.

Most importantly, have fun. :laugh:

Spanishcedar,

Great job at putting your thoughts on paper, it helps to write this kind of information down. Your next step is to get a notebook and write down what your impressions are on each cigar you smoke. Make note of the day you smoked it, brand, size, where you got it from, age, visual impressions, how you cut it, pre-light taste, initial light up taste notes...then break it down to 1/4 or 1/3 as how the cigar profile changed to your taste buds...or if it changes at all. Take note of how it burns throughout the entire cigar (if you had to re-light and how often), how the ash holds or doesn't, what color the ash is, and how the wrapper holds up during smoking. Some people make note of how much smoke is produced, I'm not one of those folks...if it matters to you, just write it down. One thing I always do during this time is I hold the cigar a few feet away from me and cup my other hand to bring the burning cigar smoke towards my nose to smell it....taste is just one sense, smell is another. When I take the cigar away from my mouth and nose and then bring new smoke back towards my nose, it gives me another perspective on the cigar. Most of the time I make an entire page for each cigar leaving room for the next time I smoke that same cigar again, if your impression changes, write it down, if not, don't. Keep in mind that when you drink alcohol, it will have an impression on your taste buds. Write down what you are drinking during the cigar evaluation. When I smoke a new cigar that I know I will write down tasting note on, I always drink water. Save the alcohol consumption for when you smoke another of the same cigar with friends...but always make a mental note on how the cigar tastes different by what you were drinking....beer, wine(style), scotch, bourbon, etc.

But always remember, write this down in your own words....if a member says a certain cigar has notes of pepper and you don't taste it that way, DON'T WRITE THAT DOWN. Just do it in your own words, the way it presents itself to you. My tasting notes are for my eyes only because they are written in a manor that I understand...and my impressions are not open for debate....I do that during a verbal conversation with a fellow cigar smoker. I suggest you do the same, remember...you're never wrong! You write down what you feel and taste. The witting down of the tasting notes for a new cigar can be quite pleasurable and fun...making it a kind of personal event.

Most importantly, have fun. :laugh:

I think this is some of the best advice I have read on this site. Maybe sticky in the review section?

I've only posted here a few times, including the newbie intro, so I'm not sure just where I got the gall to tell you what you like but fwiw:
First off,
I think Esplendidos are pretty good out of the box, but definitely get better with age. What else...

Your question makes an excellent point. Besides answering which cigars smoke well fresh, you should also keep in mind which cigars improve more dramatically with age.
As you and mike33 pointed out, CoRos and Esplendidos are delightful out of the box, it borders on criminal :) to smoke them young.
I agree with Ginseng on the Reyes, Strayvector and the others on the choix supreme and BGMs (in fact, I think all Bolis are quite good smokes within the first 6 months-then leave them for a loooooong time) ironpeddler mentioned some SCDHs, I think while never a spectacular cigar they're all enjoyable and good fresh, though I'm with Willkey on nixing the principes.
But I was surprised that only tsmckenny and Infinity agreed with me on what I cosider the finest freshies, the Monte PE and Maduro 5s. The M5s are so tasty now that it is almost forgiveable to smoke 'em now.
I also find that many of the customs are great when very fresh, but then hit a point where they are downright unsmokeable until they come back after many years.
Of course, especially as someone in the food business, I know that on matters of taste that YMMV.

Just read my post, not sure how I could say that the La Murallas are anything short of spectacular. Also, the Cohiba Pyramides '06 are still smoking good though if the 01s are an indication your patience will be richly rewarded

Right on. I think a one on one, pen-paper and a cigar, will be a great thing. Lately I've just been pulling one out of the box and smokin 'em as I feel like it and using my memory, or the band, as a reminder. I imagine down the road I'm bound to forget one or two. This is a great way of keeping history so I can see what I've enjoyed, also so I don't make the same mistake twice, or so years down the road I can really compare youth and age.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement Fellas.

Right on. I think a one on one, pen-paper and a cigar, will be a great thing. Lately I've just been pulling one out of the box and smokin 'em as I feel like it and using my memory, or the band, as a reminder. I imagine down the road I'm bound to forget one or two. This is a great way of keeping history so I can see what I've enjoyed, also so I don't make the same mistake twice, or so years down the road I can really compare youth and age.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement Fellas.
I'm glad I was able to help...just one Newbie helping out another fellow Newb.

...and that's why we're all here :thumbs:

Just thought I would revive this one to see if there's been any updates on opinions and additions, not to mention the recent threads regarding this topic

ISOM experiences... thus far

Partagas
SP2: FEB 08 - was an amazing smoke. I can only imagine that this stick will become an absolutely wonderful smoke with a couple of years under it's band.

Cohiba
Esplendido - Surprisingly, nothing amazing. very good cuban tobacco flavor
Secretos - This particular cigar was a decent smoke for me. I feel like it is too complex for my palette which gave me some unusual tastes. I'll keep these on ice for a while and see if my senses don't improve with my experiences.
Siglo IV - Wow, I understand the hype around these now. This left a great buttered popcorn flavor aftertaste for the rest of the day... wonderful cigar.
Especial - bleh... waaaay to young to smoke - revisit in a year

Robaina
Famosos: Pack of 5 - fine. This cigar was creamy with undertones of a nice oak flavor.

Montecristo
#3: June 07 - Very tight dray. Made me regret the purchase but holding onto the rest hoping the will relax w/in a couple of years. So much work to smoke, a real challenge. Consistent flavor throughout
#2: Pack of 3 - Expecting something similar to the PSP2's... not comparable at all. Entirely different with a medium body and delectable finish. Not a whole lot of bang but an enjoyable cigar.

Great thread, reading and re-reading this while taking notes.

-Jimmy