• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Golf Lessons

ah, the great game of Whack F@ck...

(WHACK) F@CK!!!!!!
(WHACK) F@CK!!!!!!
(WHACK) 'Hey.. nice shot!'
Gawd I love this game...

except it takes me about 20 F@CK's to get one 'Hey- nice shot'!
:laugh:

ah, the great game of Whack F@ck...

(WHACK) F@CK!!!!!!
(WHACK) F@CK!!!!!!
(WHACK) 'Hey.. nice shot!'
Gawd I love this game...

except it takes me about 20 F@CK's to get one 'Hey- nice shot'!
:laugh:

Hey, that's how I hunt birds ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

:cool:

As you can see, after all the advice, you have got no advice! :laugh:

Brian

'cept the part about freebern...

Get hybrid clubs to replace your 2,3,4 irons. Or get a set of that has those clubs as hybrids.
I got a set of Adams Ideas (1st generation). They are forgiving and I will be able to play with them even if I actually start playing well!
Keep in mind that any product or club that claims to improve your game is BULLSH!T !
YMMV!

-Rob

All the advice is good, but the most important thing is to remember it is just a game.

Blasphemy, I know, to the serious golfer, but I took a year off because I was taking the game WAY too seriously and it was really affecting my enjoyment of the game and thus, my game.

Of course, as soon as I decided to get back into the game, I blew a disc in my back. So, I haven't played more than 3 times in the last 2 years. I miss it dearly. Next year is gonna be GREAT!

I have an extra set of clubs if you're interested. They're fitted for me, but the measurements are standard. You could also have them fit to you pretty easily if they needed change. PM me if you're intersted. I'm sure we can work something out. ;)

So, to recap all the excellent advice:

1. Churchills! :thumbs:
2. Just relax and have fun :)
3. Keep my head down
4. It’s okay to buy used clubs – at least for starters
5. I will suck at this game - better get used to it right now :D
6. Don’t play with freebern standing behind me :laugh:

And, sleep with your putter......

...and wake up with the wood? Oh yeah! :cool:

Since I manage to play 18 twice a week and practice twice a week I think I speak with a little authority when i say not all clubs are equal.

A beginner needs to play with "Cavity Back" clubs not blades. A cavity back club is an iron which the clubhead features a thin face with a hollowed-out area on back, distributing the weight around the perimeter (contrast with "blade" style clubs"). The weighting of cavity back (which can be forged, but are usually cast) clubs allows for a larger sweet spot, which provides help on mis-hits. Cavity back irons are preferred by mid- to high-handicap players, but many low-handicappers and touring pros use cavity backs, too.

Since you or your son have never played before, be prepared for the first lesson which largely evolves around the proper way to grip a golf club and the proper body, shoulder and hip rotation. You will start hitting balls after the lesson.

lessons range from $30.00 - $40.00 hr (local public golf course) all the way up to $300 Hr ( top rated instructors)
Average green fees for 18 holes ranges from $25 - $65 depending where you play. (Pebble beach is like $175.00)

I had a client 10 years ago who wanted me to play golf with him and unfortunately I never hit a golf before. I bought some clubs (the wrong kind) a golf bag and preceded to take a few lessons. Even though my golf game sucked beyond embarrassment, it made me more determined to learn the game.

Today I play with a 2 handicap and i just can't get enough. If I could quit my job I would probably golf 7 days a week.

You will love the game, especially when you start putting the ball where you want to.

Good Luck,

Rich

good golf joke - do you know why they call golf - golf ? because f*ck was already taken.

1 more piece of advice - If you truly want to get good at golf - practice 90% of the time from 100 yards and in. approx 80% of your strokes will come from this distance. If you go to the range you always see guys banging drivers, when they should be hitting 50 yard chip shots and hitting 12 foot putts.

seriously steve...if you are going to buy clubs, try a second hand sports store, or at your local shop, grab some of last years models. much cheaper, and usually only cosmeticly different. save the $$$ for the lessons and rounds till you get the hang of it. the only thing i would buy new is a putter, and be sure to test/play with it. i still have my original putter and it is all i use

seriously steve...if you are going to buy clubs, try a second hand sports store, or at your local shop, grab some of last years models. much cheaper, and usually only cosmeticly different. save the $$$ for the lessons and rounds till you get the hang of it. the only thing i would buy new is a putter, and be sure to test/play with it. i still have my original putter and it is all i use

Good advice, Play it again sports sometimes has a good set of clubs. If you start to enjoy the game enough to spend some real money then you can step up and lay down over a grand for a set of irons and half of that for a decent driver.

Rich

Drink a lot! Both before and after.

This thread got me thinking, We need a cigarpass golfing get together!!!

Any volunteers to set it up?

To add to putting, practice your chipping around the greens. Your short irons can save a lot of strokes(driving is only 25% of the game (72 par.) Practice, Practice, Practice. And use your swing oil regularly (see AVB's advice above).

Been playing since I was 6, but still suck (at golf).

-D

Edited to keep minds out of the gutter.