• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

govee hygrometers

JoeGibs

I've been having some calibration issues with my govee hygrometers, curious if any one else has had any issues with getting them calibrated?

I had one for the past month, ordered an additional one for having two in my gun case humidor. When put in the same space, the new one was a few points lower, so I adjusted it up a little closer to the first one. Then I did a salt test, and they were reading 71 and 72%. I didn't make any adjustment, and tried putting them into a bag with a 69% 40g bovida pack. They were reading about .5% lower than they were during the salt test at 70.5 and 71.5%. Has me pretty confused as to which way to adjust them, if at all?

I've been having some calibration issues with my govee hygrometers, curious if any one else has had any issues with getting them calibrated?

I had one for the past month, ordered an additional one for having two in my gun case humidor. When put in the same space, the new one was a few points lower, so I adjusted it up a little closer to the first one. Then I did a salt test, and they were reading 71 and 72%. I didn't make any adjustment, and tried putting them into a bag with a 69% 40g bovida pack. They were reading about .5% lower than they were during the salt test at 70.5 and 71.5%. Has me pretty confused as to which way to adjust them, if at all?
How long are you waiting for them to get adjusted to the new spaces you move them to?

I guess his point is that they read the same in a 69% environment as they did in a 75% environment.

I am not familiar with Govee units because I have an older system that is stable. Joe's situation is not unusual from what I've heard from others who have them.

Have others had good luck or bad with them?

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat a .5% or 1% difference, personally.

That little bit of difference doesn't concern me, it's a matter of getting them to that 1%, I just don't know which direction to calibrate them.

That little bit of difference doesn't concern me, it's a matter of getting them to that 1%, I just don't know which direction to calibrate them.
What Justin said was going to be my next post. I'd make sure the Boveda has a decent squish to it, then double bag it... (not what she said) Or you could put it in a mason jar. If it still comes out high I'd trust the Boveda. Salt tests can be effected by the amount of water you put in, I think Boveda's are pretty solid.. Others might disagree.

I've salt tested my Govee and SensorPush units when they get new batteries (every couple years). Always very close (+ / - 1% or so). Close enough, I believe. Mason jar or double bagged, and at least 24 hours in the test environment is the best way.

I have a Govee, calibrated and compared to other hydrometers. No issues with mine, I x2 the jar and 24hr test.

The website states they have a + - 1% so I don't think you can get them anymore accurate.

I tried a few Govees maybe 3 or 4 years ago and really only stopped because the Bluetooth never stayed connected on anything and the app was shoddy. They always read within a point or two of my Accurites, which have been amazing for me for at least 15 years.

I have beads billed as 60%, 65%, and 69%. And the Accurites in each of those different coolers are all within 1-2% of those percentages. I could take beads out of any of them and they would self-humidify for weeks before needing the beads back.

That's not something to try btw... it was learned by accident! I think your Govees will serve your needs just fine... until you build your next cab! 👍

I have two of the newer groove with wifi and they are working great. Use the boveda calibration kit

53B77B5E-32AA-44EB-8944-54878844D151.jpeg

They spent the last day double bagged with a nice squishy 69% bovida inside the gun case, calibrated the one reading higher to match the lower and they both sat at 71.5. Now residing in a jar with two 69’s. After a day I’ll bump them down closer to 69% and call it good.

View attachment 53705

They spent the last day double bagged with a nice squishy 69% bovida inside the gun case, calibrated the one reading higher to match the lower and they both sat at 71.5. Now residing in a jar with two 69’s. After a day I’ll bump them down closer to 69% and call it good.
perfect

After playing this game for a decade or three, I can tell you this - a point or even two either way really doesn't matter. What DOES matter is - how do your cigars smoke to you..?? Too dry, won't stay lit, etc. We all know that anything over 70% exponentially increases your chance of mold, and we know that anything much below 62%-ish puts you at risk of drying out the oils that make cigars great. You can re-hydrate them, but if the oils dry out, those sticks are gone, baby, gone. My cabinet runs ~67% and I'm very happy with the results...though over the summer, as the ambient RH goes up, the RH in the cabinet will slide up a point or two. And it doesn't seem to matter. My desktop 'dry' box runs about 63%. Cigars I'm planning on smoking get put in there for a week or two before I put the fire to them; really helps with CC's. Point being, I don't believe there's any real need to get hung up over trying to resolve a 0.25% difference...guilty as charged when I was new to the game, but honestly as time goes on, you realize that cigars are very hygroscopic and it usually takes months to change them internally to a uniform humidity. Salt testing, for me, is PLENTY accurate. Smoke more, stress less...... :cool:

Having only been using a cheap desktop humidor, I had noticed sometimes i'd get a stick that was just rough and burned, assuming that means it was too dry, and other times i'd have to be pulling hard to get it to stay lit, assuming that means too wet. I'll attribute that to the cheap humidor. Early last week I put a few into a dry box like you guys have suggested, and smoking it over the weekend it was excellent. Also probably helped that it was a quality stick- jamie garcia reserva especial. So, going forward, i'm excited to have a suitable storage to hold at a proper RH, and have the dry box for final preparation.

Both govee units are reading at 71.6 in the mason jar. I'll check once more in the morning, crank them down to 69% and forget about it.