• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Grandfather passed last night

okiesmoke

My mom's dad passed away last night after several years of ill health. It was a welcome blessing and now I'm just longing for the day I can see him again.

I don't have a memory of him without a big cigar sticking out of his mouth. He liked to chew them more than smoke them and since they were always Dutch Masters, I don't blame him :laugh:

He was a man of integrity and if you needed more than a handshake, he didn't want to do business with you. (Hard for a lawyer to swallow, I know)

I started really getting into cigars after someone told me I looked just like him when I was smoking one. The reason for this post is I would like all the BOTL/SOTL's on here to help me celebrate his life by posting who it was that got you started with this fun little passion of ours.

I had more time with him than a lot of people with their grandparents and for that I'm grateful.

A coworker of mine got me into cigars. He asked me one day at work if I wanted to go smoke some cigars with him and several other people. I said sure....he gave me a Gurkha Centurion and my wallet has been hating me ever since.

My grandfather caught us smoking as a young teens and though he would be smart and make us smoke a cigar. Needless to say I loved it and my brother was puking. Grandpas response was just don't inhale them. I am very sorry to hear about the passing of your great grandfather. But he sounds like a man that needs to be Honored so after the Coffee is done this morning I will light up a nice smoke for him and remember the loved ones I have lost. God bless rp

MY roommate in college got me started. He asked me to hold his Swishers Sweet wood tip and puff it a few times while he went to get something. After that I started smoking more and more and moved to better cigars.

That's a really cool story about your Grandpa, man. I wish the best for you family in this time.

Let's see, how did I get into cigars?? A good buddy of mine, Stoggie13, was already into cigars and he would always tell me about them. In my job, I had a choice between hard alcohol and partying, smoking cigarettes, dipping, and cigars for dealing with stress. I ended up getting into cigars because it was relaxing to just sit and think about everything, and it wasn't as harmful as washing it all away with a hard drink and a few ice cubes.

My condolences. My grandfather passed away October of 07. As for who got me started, it was one of my very good friends.

I was with my Grandpa in Florida last week and he died while I was there. I know how you feel.

My condolences. Take the time to smoke one of your best cigars in his memory!

When I was young and dumb, I thought Swisher Sweets was a better alternative than cigarettes. I found myself in tobacconist shop in London looking for some Swishers and the ole guy behind the counter told me I was bloody fool for smoking those and handed me a Quban (as he called them). I've been smoking cigars ever since.

I'll toast a Quban in honor of your grandfather.

My grandfather on my mom's side died when I was born, I've seen pictures of him holding me, and my dads' dad just passed away here a little over a year ago, but he was a really cold, hardened man, I wish he wasn't like that and had a chance to know him.

One of my best friends ... Robert, got me into smoking cigars, the one day we stopped by a Puff N' Stuff shop and he bought a cigar, and I ended up getting one for the hell of it, if I recall it was a RyJ or an H. Upmann. We ended up sitting outside on his patio and we smoked'em up, I remember coughing like hell but man, it's a memory I will never forget.

Nick

My best friend went to Iraq and came back 18 months later smoking cigars. We both had quit cigarettes in 96 and was scared of cigars and had no clue.

He handed me a stogie one night and the rest is history.

My dad got me into smoking cigars (Phillies was his brand). I used to think that they were pretty good. Little did I know. Anyhow, one day I was in a tobacco store and picked up a Torano Silver Exodus. Can you say off to the races? Now I share my cigars with him.

I looked at a picture that was taken at a herf in Delaware last year. I found it amazing that I look quite a bit like my dad when I started smoking cigars with him.

I never got a chance to know either of my grandfathers. Both had passed away long before I was born. I do have one of my grandfathers names as my middle name though.

Cherish the memories that you two shared and smoke a great one in his honor today.

A buddy introduced me to 'real' cigars after my Swisher Sweet phase. Unfortunately those cigars were Acids, but I'm beyond that now.

My grandfather used to smoke cigars, but had moved on to pipes shortly after I was born.

Tonight's stick will be in honor of your grandfather.

My great grandfather smoked a box a week his whole life. He also drank a bottle of JD black a week, too. He died at 99 years old and the doctor had the nerve to say he drank and smoked himself to death. LOL

In his latter years, my great grandmother soaked his cigars in a pot of melted VICKS vapor rub!! ??? Apparently he said it cleared his congestion. Hahaha.

My few memories of him where with a cheap cigar hanging out of his mouth. He had a rolling ashtray and would ash on the floor. My great grandmother (god rest her soul) would get up and move the ashtray to the other side of my Great Papa's chair. As soon as she sat down, he'd switch hands on his cigar and then ash on the ground on the other side of his chair.

The man was something else. But he was a man of his word and a handshake was all anything ever took.

I'll burn one for your grandpa tonight.

Nice thread. I too believe in celebrating the life more than morning.

My Uncle Nat started my passion. A great old geezer who always had a nasty green candella in his mouth. I thought that they stunk, But they looked cool. That was in the 60s. I always loved that man.

I never knew my Grandpa on my Dad's side. From what I was told, we both had a great deal in common one thing being born on the same day. I would have really loved to have known him as I've heard he was a really great man. I actually got myself into smoking, was drinking a good bit of scotch and remember reading a cigar would go well with it. Bought my first sampler (won't say where dagnabbit) and that was all she wrote.

I guess you could say my Great Uncle inadvertently started me. I've never seen him without a cigar. If he wasn't chewing on one or smoking it, then he had a handful in his breast pocket. Once when I was at his house I went and snooped in his humidor. It smelled so good I had to take one. I have no idea what it was. Knowing him it had to be a great one. I've been hooked ever since. That was at least 10 years ago.

Celebrate with a nice Churchill! I started smoking Garcia Vega (yuck!) with friends back in high school and stopped until I was able to afford something better. Glad to hear you have alot of found memories, that's life's greatest pleasure. Best to you and your family.

Grandpas must have a thing for Dutch Masters, because mine had at least 20 boxes laying around his house. I was lucky enough to share one of his 'real' cigars with him a couple monthsa before he passed. I'd had my first cigar a little while before that, but smoking one with him was just so cool. Now my mom always complains when I smoke a cigar I smell like my Grandpa. Not such a bad thing how I see it.