• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Great cigar wines

NorCalCigarLover

The Wine Guy
Every now and then you come across that perfect wine and food pairing. You know the one, they compliment each other so well that you couldn't imagine the meal without either one of them. Well, the same goes for that perfect wine and cigar pairing. Neither one overpowers the other in taste but their flavors seem to just meld together like they are two ingredients needed to create a single dish.

Let's hear about the one's that you have found!

Last night I found a great cigar wine, a 2002 Earthquake Lodi Zinfandel. This isn't one for those "White Zin" lovers but is a monster of a Zin at 15.9% alcohol! A huge fruit bomb much like a Late Harvest Zin, or Zin Port, but without the sweetness, don't confuse all that fruit for sweetness. Priced at ~$28

edited to correct price

:cool:

Good price you get it for. It's $28.61 out the door here. :0

AVB said:
Good price you get it for. It's $28.61 out the door here. :0
[snapback]155576[/snapback]​

Oops ...... that sould have been $28, thanks for catching that.

The other night, I had 2002 Radio-Coteau Savoy Pinot that would have been a nice cigar wine. I have one more in the cellar and will hold off drinking it until I can have a good cigar with it, $40 from the mailing list.

Here is another great cigar wine from a small winery not to many people know about out here in CA., 2002 Eno Teldeschi Vinyard DCV Zinfandel. This wine was tasted from barrel samples that Sasha provided us for a tasting party we recently held in our home. A fine example of an old vine DCV Zin! great fruit, big Zin, perfect with a cigar.

The Eno 2002 release letter is coming out at the end of January so there is still time to get in on this fantastic wine. If you want to place an order, or get on the mailing list check out Sasha's website for contact information, let him know that David Sanchez sent you.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Eno wines. I'm just a huge fan and trying to help out a new and talented winemaker get his feet off the ground.

Now for cheaper matchings

Mouton Cadet Medoc $15 or a 1988 Sonoma Valley Cab (Pilfered from aunt's cellar)
HDM PR
Peppery liqorice. Sour apples.

Martini Rossi Sparkling $10
CoRo
Sharp woods. Dusting of Nutmeg.

Too cheap for Cali wines right now. Maybe later.

I still insist on LBV ports with any Boli, Monte, or Upmann. See earlier posts.

NorCalCigarLover said:
Here is another great cigar wine from a small winery not to many people know about out here in CA., 2002 Eno Teldeschi Vinyard DCV Zinfandel. This wine was tasted from barrel samples that Sasha provided us for a tasting party we recently held in our home. A fine example of an old vine DCV Zin! great fruit, big Zin, perfect with a cigar.

Hmmm, they won't ship to Texas. :(

Too bad, I may have gotten a bottle of each to try.

Château Haut Brion / Prime Rib / And the strongest aged cigar in my collection.

a $2 rose from the corner store and a Philly blunt! :sign:

There's a nice Chilian red, La Joya, that have found goes great w/ a roast beef sandwich, followed by a nice milder cigar, say AVO

I recently finished off a bottle of 2000 Robert Mondavi Cabernet that I found went very nice with a PAM '64 and an Opus X Petit Lancero.

This week in San Francisco is the 14th Annual Zinfandel Festival, concluding on Saturday with the infamous Zinfandel Tasting at Fort Mason. If you can't handle crowds then do not attend this tasting event. There will be over 250 wineries pouring at Saturdays event with many of the winemakers and growers in attendance.

We've attended this event a few times and are now volunteers in the Silent Auction area. If you do attend, swing by the Silent Auction area after 2:00 and say hello. There's always time to take a cigar break and enjoy a glass of wine :D

wine-shiraz.jpg

I love a glass of Madfish Shiraz with an AVO 22
avo22.jpg

Dang! one of the best cigar and wines pairings I've had lately.

We opened a bottle of 2003 Novy Rosellas Vineyard Syrah the other night with dinner and it just wasn't showing well at all. Way too jammy, too much citrus (pink grapefruit), and disjointed. After about an hour or so of decanting, out came this huge funky barnyard aroma, blach!. It just wasn't cutting it, so I corked it up and left it on the countertop to revisit in a day or two. Well, yesterday while enjoying a 2004 Opus X #4 I decided to revisit the syrah. WOW! a totally different wine, no more funk. The fruit was now broader and the acidity was less but still present. This wine made my list as one of my top cigar wines .... with at least 12 hours of decanting that is ;) .

One of my favorite cigar wines is from Abacela in Southern Oregon. They specialize in Tempranillos. All of their Temps are incredible. The O2 Umpqua Cuvee is a great introduction to the tempranillo grape for 20 bucks. While the Estate and Reserve bottles are truly remarkable. These wines are not as oaky or dry as the typical spanish style wines but tend to focus more on the fruit. These wines pair very nicely with full body cigars and are some of my personal favorites when i am not enchanted with my beloved Pinots. Abacela also makes a great Syrah as well. I hope to post more in this section of the forum as wine is something i enjoy tremendously

Here is link to site that sells the wine if anyone is interested.

http://www.northwest-wine.com/northwestwin...ecnebbiolo.html

Nice recommendation FlyingPanther :thumbs:

My collection of "other" varietals is really starting to grow. I picked up a few cases of a really nice Syrah this past weekend. I'm really finding that Syrahs match many of the foods that my wife and I prepare.

I am a big Syrah fan my self and i agree that it tends to go well with many foods. Have you tried any of the Syrahs from Andrew Murray NorCal?

Well I will in 7-10 days :thumbs:

WOW! just ordered a few bottles to try, thanks for the pointer. My wife and I were down in Los Olivos earlier this year and can't wait to return. I'm putting this one the list to visit.

Since your a Pinot fan have you tried Brian Loring's wines at Loring Wine Company? I just placed my order for those as well.

i have not. I live in Portland, OR so i drink a lot of local Pinot. I have tried a few CA Pinots and I have enjoyed them, but i know very little about them. Make sure you let me know how those Andrew Murray Syrahs are. I am going to be in the LA area in the next few weeks and I am thinking about picking some up.