• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guinness Draught

chubby

Wow!! I just had my first taste last week while in NY and man it was pretty good. I always stuck to what's safe for me 'BL', but decided to try one while at local bar and liked it. I saw on the net that there is a device called a 'Surger' that causes Guinness from a can to make it seem as though it was poured from the draught, but is not sold in the US. Interesting device.

I quit drinking a few years ago - but used to be a rather avid Guinness drinker. I can tell you with certainty that the little gizmo inside the can that makes it like a draught IS available in the US - and has been for years.

I like Guinness, it is like drinking milk. There are many other stouts out there that are worthy of trying. Check out the beer section of the saloon Here.

The device, in Guinness, is shaped like a sphere and if you are so inclined you can tear the can apart and bounce it on the bar. There is a similar device in the cans of Boddington's; however, this is shaped like a top and can similarly be removed from a torn can. In both instances the staff of the drinking establishment or your significant other if done at home are not impressed with your discovery.

The device I believe is called a widget. It is printed on the can and you can even see info about it on wikipedia. Linky

If you like Guinness you should try some other stouts. I am not a huge fan of Guinness, I get a coffee taste a little bit, but it almost tastes like burnt coffee to me. Some others that I have had that I do enjoy though are Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout or Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Give them a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Welcome to the world of craft and "real" beer drinking!! :thumbs:

Glad to see you stepped outside your comfort zone! If you never did they, you might never make new discoveries.

Try all kinds of beers, what's the worst that can happen, you don't like it? Oh well, you will have learned something about your tastes and then can further develop them, it's just like cigars.

I find Guinness to be a lot different than many other stouts and porters, I'm not sure what it is about it, maybe it's the nitrogen charging rather than carbonation, but I know a lot of people who love Guinness but don't like other stouts or porters, and vise-versa.

I guess the bottom line is this; get out there and try all kinds of beers!

Chubby, I'm sure you've explored the world of cigars a little bit and have been rewarded with some great hidden treasures. The world of craft beer and microbrews offers the very same treasures!

Check out the beer forum here at CP and be prepared to be blown away.

BTW, if you can find Young's Double Chocolate Stout, it tastes just like Guinness with a dark
chocolate finish. I highly recommend!

Sorry about the formatting errors. I'm posting here at work and the web browsers here are all screwy.

Just finished two 'real' ones in the UK.

Yum....

:thumbs:

Hey Monty,
Do they still sell the 'Surger' across the pond? It looks pretty cool.

As for the the one that has a hint of chocolate, I will be looking out for that one. I just hope it doesn't taste like a shake though... I am not a coffe drinker, but the hint of coffee I got from the Guinness is what made me like it. Weird...

There are very few beverages I enjoy more than a pint (or three) of Guinness.

Nothing better than a nice stout or porter, especially with a tasty maduro...
smiley-eatdrink005.gif

I have a cheapy Sonic Cleaner I bought at Harbor Freight, I'm going to try it with that.

IIRC there's a special type of Guinness that's needed to use with the surger... I think I read somewhere it's basically a contraption that's put in bars that either A) Don't want to spend the money to install a proper draught system, or B) Have staff that have absolutely no idea how to build a proper pint (or care to take the time to)

You should check for some YouTube videos of using the Guinness Surger on regular beers. Remember what your elementary science project volcano looked like? :)

Glad you found something new to try...

If you want more info on beer try out this LINKY

Also this might open help you pick some other things up LINKY

Also this might open help you pick some other things up LINKY

MMMMMM Pumpkin Ale!!! I'm so glad it's that time of year again! One of my favorites! Chubby, definitely try the Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, they are fantastic! I love Stouts and heavier beers year round, I suggest you get as many as you can get your hands on. Like was said earlier, it's like cigars. There is some crap out there, but there are a few gems to be found. Sam Adams has an Imperial Series now, and I've tried two of them so far. The Double Bock, and Imperial Whitbeer (i think that's what it's called). They come in 4 packs. You should grab a couple of those. They're a little pricey, but worth it. Pay attention though, those things will knock you on your butt if you're not careful! (Speaking from experience) They're like 10-11% ABV!

Cheers!

I should have tried more while I was up in NY. My local Grocery store has a huge section of imports and the like. I will make sure and look for some of the ones that have been mentioned earlier. Last night I tried a Hoegaarden and it was actually pretty good. It could have been colder I think, but oh well. Sometimes it seems as though beer from the tap isn't as cold as it should be. We also have a restaurant that brews their own beer, BJ's Brewhouse. I am sure some of you may have heard of it, it's not a local restaruant. They have many types to choose from and also brew their seasonal beers as well. Pumpkin Ale is one of their seasonal beers. I will also have to try that one.

Normally you won't find many of the craft beers people talk about in your local grocery store. You would need to go to a liquor store and even then, unless you go to a bigger one, they may not have much selection.

I went to a BJ's when I was out in CA a few weeks back. Their brews were pretty good. If you haven't tried a variety of beers, they offer a sampler pack. It is about 3 ounces per glass which lets you try out a good number of styles of beer and not spend a lot of coin.

Also, as far as temperature is concerned, generally speaking your American light lagers are served icy cold because they lack a full flavor. The coldness helps to mask this and as the beer warms up, your tastebuds aren't shocked as much and can taste the true flavors more. Each style of beer has a different recommended serving temperature (much like wine) that allows you to taste the actual beer more. As a general rule, the darker the beer is, the higher the temperature it should be served (if done properly). Stouts have some of the highest recommended serving temperatures.

Glad you found something new to try. I have never been much of a beer drinker ever. I tried a few craft brews a couple of years ago and was hooked. I found that I tend to gravitate toward ales that generally are hoppier. I love me some hops! :love: Nothing like a good beer paired with the right cigar. Enjoy trying out new brews, I don't think you will be disappointed! The only thing is, much like cigars, once you have some of the good stuff you may find it hard to go back to those "gas station" brews. :laugh:

I prefer Murphy's to Guinness myself. Both are yummy though.

I've got Murphy's, Boddington's and Badger Tanglefoot in my fridge right now. It can be great living in the UK sometimes...

If you ever find yourself in Dublin, make your way to the Guinness Storehouse. It's a fantastic brewery tour, the swag is really cool and the food at the restaurant at the top (with an AMAZING view) is fantastic. Oh and Guinness is the sweet nectar of the Gods... don't forget that part either...