• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guns

I don't, but I quit listening to people like Alex Jones and some of the others that keep saying the world is going to end.

Y2K, 2012, comets, asteroids, and EMPs. It's all there for the consumption of the masses...
I'm doing the fat dumb and happy lifestyle now. If SHTF, I'll have fewer regrets than if I had continued to listen to those conspiracy theories.
It's not about predicting the future, which is impossible. It's about being prepared. I was one of the original preppers. I was a boy scout and remember our motto, "Always be prepared".

It's not about predicting the future, which is impossible. It's about being prepared. I was one of the original preppers. I was a boy scout and remember our motto, "Always be prepared".

What is needed to be "prepared" for a full on SHF.

Someplace to go that is well off the beaten path, preferably underground.
Someway to get there that doesn't attract undo attention and yet can be defended or outrun whomever is chasing you. A hard combination to achieve.
Enough ammo to last quite a long time, you don't want to be out and about scavenging because everybody else will be too.
Ammo stashed between where you live and where you are going.
At least 1 year of nonperishable food stock
Something to keep your mind busy for at least 6 months while you are bunkered in.
A manual generator to run a radio of a light or charge batteries
A water purification system
A large stock of alcohol which can be used for many things and will be worth it's weight in gold for trading if things ever settle down that much.
Serious first aid kit. Everything from broken bones to sucking chest wounds. Nobody else is going to take care of you.
Full 4 season wardrobe. Having a fire or chimney smoking just gives away where you are.

And that is just the start. If you can't do the above just stay home and watch with the rest of us.

Someway to get there that doesn't attract undo attention and yet can be defended or outrun whomever is chasing you. A hard combination to achieve.
Enough ammo to last quite a long time, you don't want to be out and about scavenging because everybody else will be too.
Something to keep your mind busy for at least 6 months while you are bunkered in.
A large stock of alcohol which can be used for many things and will be worth it's weight in gold for trading if things ever settle down that much.
Serious first aid kit. Everything from broken bones to sucking chest wounds. Nobody else is going to take care of you.
Full 4 season wardrobe. Having a fire or chimney smoking just gives away where you are.

And that is just the start. If you can't do the above just stay home and watch with the rest of us.
I agree that one usually can't perpare for everything. One does what one can according to budget, perceived possible threats, and responsibilities. I would love to build a house on some beautiful acreage not too far from the nearest Small Town. Ain't happenin.
But I only have myself to answer to ... And my maker, of course. Also, I believe there are worse things than death. So there's that. ;)

In the scouts we had limited resources, too. We made do. This is different but similar in concept.

Edit to add: Community is probably the most effective AND economical solution. Get to know local people including neighbors. Family, too, of course. My brother is near a fairly large family and this will give everyone there an advantage.

Last edited:
After a few years of carrying my Sig P229, I’ve finally opted to try a pocket pistol (Ruger LCP) have to say, super comfortable to carry. I can hardly feel it on me and with the extended grip it doesn’t feel too bad in the hands. Yet another tool I hope to never have to use, but it never hurts to have it!

6ABDB1EE-3C01-41FB-9F1D-F68733CABFC0.jpeg

I never used to believe a full on SHTF---like, say, Syria or Somalia---was possible in Western nations because our institutions, infrastructure and corporate oligarchy simply wouldn't permit it. Some days lately, I'm not so sure.

Bottom line for me is I'm on daily meds (full replacement thyroid hormone) that without, I'd simply slow down, go to sleep and not wake up again, eventually. Heading for the hills just ain't a realistic option so I try to stay stocked 'n prepped for actual possibilities like hurricanes (Gulf Coast here) and anything else, well, it is what it is.

~Boar

After a few years of carrying my Sig P229, I’ve finally opted to try a pocket pistol (Ruger LCP) have to say, super comfortable to carry. I can hardly feel it on me and with the extended grip it doesn’t feel too bad in the hands. Yet another tool I hope to never have to use, but it never hurts to have it!

View attachment 29233
Interesting, I did the exact opposite. I have a Ruger LCP Custom and went away from it to a Sig P938. My LCP felt like a toy and the slide constantly was getting stuck. I'll be interested to see how you like it after 6 months of pocket carrying it.

Interesting, I did the exact opposite. I have a Ruger LCP Custom and went away from it to a Sig P938. My LCP felt like a toy and the slide constantly was getting stuck. I'll be interested to see how you like it after 6 months of pocket carrying it.
No doubt Sig is better, but I haven’t found anything to complain about for the sub $200.00 price tag

No doubt Sig is better, but I haven’t found anything to complain about for the sub $200.00 price tag
Yeah for the price I agree. I am just curious how your holds up to being pocket carried. I think mine got "tweeked" by being in my pocket for so long and that caused it to be flaky over time.

Yeah for the price I agree. I am just curious how your holds up to being pocket carried. I think mine got "tweeked" by being in my pocket for so long and that caused it to be flaky over time.
That’s a good point. I’ll definitely have to keep an eye on that! Thank you for the heads up!

I never used to believe a full on SHTF---like, say, Syria or Somalia---was possible in Western nations because our institutions, infrastructure and corporate oligarchy simply wouldn't permit it. Some days lately, I'm not so sure.

Bottom line for me is I'm on daily meds (full replacement thyroid hormone) that without, I'd simply slow down, go to sleep and not wake up again, eventually. Heading for the hills just ain't a realistic option so I try to stay stocked 'n prepped for actual possibilities like hurricanes (Gulf Coast here) and anything else, well, it is what it is.

~Boar

Start raising pigs and harvesting their thyroids....I take Armour thyroid each morning, and it's supposedly dessicated pig thyroid.

Check the front sight post. My LCP custom did the same thing, and it was because the front sight post kept coming lose, until one day the post broke and flew off, never to be found again. Luckily, a glock sight post fit with a tiny bit of shaving off the bottom of the post. It changed the point of impact a little, but not a meaningful amount.
I keep coming back to direct blowback autos like the Walther ppks and the polish Radom. The fixed barrel does wonders for accuracy, and that style usually has a SA/DA external hammer, that I believe is also an asset for accuracy. The biggest problem with direct blowback though, is that it can't stand too much pressure, so the biggest round that you can reasonably use in that design is a 9x18 makarov.

If you are looking for a budget handgun, consider looking at a P-64. You can get them around $200. I think that this gun is better than most pocket pistols. I have newer, more expensive firearms, but this is my edc. I keep a CZ 75B SP-01 in the truck to fall back on. The Idea being that what is in my pocket, is to get me to my truck, and what is in my truck is to get me home.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 5
I won't carry a gun I won't bet my life on. My "pocket rocket" is a S&W 642 that made the trip back to Cylinder and Slide for their full reliability and sight package. Drops right in my front jeans pocket in a pocket liner. Loaded with Speer 'Lawman' 38+P, it's a solid handgun that I shoot accurately. My other carry tool is a Glock 26 also loaded with Speer Lawman 9mm when I can carry in an IWB on my belt. "Don't fuck around with your budget guns" is solid advice. You are betting your and your families lives on your carry gun, don't cut corners. As they say, one crabby guy's opinions..... I'd much rather have one or two solid, proven guns for defense than a half dozen cheapies. Sorry, I won't buy a 'budget' gun, I'll count my pennies until I can get something really solid. No offense, JMHO.....

I won't carry a gun I won't bet my life on. My "pocket rocket" is a S&W 642 that made the trip back to Cylinder and Slide for their full reliability and sight package. Drops right in my front jeans pocket in a pocket liner. Loaded with Speer 'Lawman' 38+P, it's a solid handgun that I shoot accurately. My other carry tool is a Glock 26 also loaded with Speer Lawman 9mm when I can carry in an IWB on my belt. "Don't fuck around with your budget guns" is solid advice. You are betting your and your families lives on your carry gun, don't cut corners. As they say, one crabby guy's opinions..... I'd much rather have one or two solid, proven guns for defense than a half dozen cheapies. Sorry, I won't buy a 'budget' gun, I'll count my pennies until I can get something really solid. No offense, JMHO.....
Maybe budget isn't the right word. My Radom is more reliable than my Walther PPKS. Never had a jam with it. I have with my LCP, which cost about the same amount. You should use and be familiar enough with your weapon to know whether or not it is reliable before carrying it. Don't carry it unless you have put a few hundred rounds through it without incident; and also be diligent enough to clean it once a week or more if necessary. Autos are inherently less reliable than revolvers, so they are probably your best bet if you are having a hard time trusting your weapon. That is neither here nor there though, the conversation was about an affordable carry gun, reliability is an assumed characteristic of any firearm for carry. That is why I didn't suggest KelTec or HiPoint.
I got my first rifle at five, and my first handgun at twelve growing up out of town in Montana. I am a combat vet, and was an armorer as well. I do know what I am talking about here. I have taught more people to shoot than you can shake a stick at, and still shoot frequently, at least once a month. Don't treat me like an imbecile, I don't appreciate it at all.

Well...that was uncalled for.

You have no idea who I am, what my experience base is, nor how often I shoot. What you were presented with was a strong difference of opinion, nothing more. I certainly didn't insult your service nor experience. You're not the only military armorer in the bunch. I simply expressed a strong difference of opinion. Why you felt that was so threatening, I'm not sure. Last time I checked, it was acceptable to have a difference of opinion, please correct me if that's not correct.

Shoot and carry what you are comfortable with, I shall continue to do the same.

And, trust me, had I thought you were an imbecile, there would have been no doubt.

Last edited:
Well...that was uncalled for.

You have no idea who I am, what my experience base is, nor how often I shoot. What you were presented with was a strong difference of opinion, nothing more. I certainly didn't insult your service nor experience. Your perceived assumptions on my families military service is wrong. You're not the only military armorer in the bunch. I simply expressed a strong difference of opinion. Why you felt that was so threatening, I'm not sure.

Shoot and carry what you are comfortable with, I shall continue to do the same.

And, trust me, had I thought you were an imbecile, there would have been no doubt.
I didn't say anything about your families experience or service. At least that was not my intention. I brought up my experience to show that I at least know a bit about what I am talking about. It was more the Yeet Cannon comment that pissed me off, and the assumption that I would advocate for someone to carry an unreliable firearm to cut costs. Cost does not directly translate to reliability. If I was rude to you, I am sorry, and demeaning your or your families experience was not my intention.