• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guns

I have a Ruger P95, 9mm. Getting serious about upgrading the sights to tritium. Any thoughts or suggestions. Why upgrade, guys, I'm 77, Id like to at least hit the tree nearby.

No idea if you’ve taken action yet but late last year I got some Trijicon tritium sights on closeout from Midway for about $110 for my HK VP9. HK installed them for $55 shipped.

I’m going to go ahead and disagree with some very knowledgeable people here and present a case for a home defense weapon being equipped with a tactical light and night sights. A laser may be helpful for some but it is no substitute.

Two critical aspects of home defense are target identification and sight alignment. The light is for telling burglars from your granddaughter. It’s slightly counter intuitive but there are many scenarios other than absolute darkness where your sights are in shadow or obscured. Tritium sights eliminate this concern via positive illumination and sight alignment at all times.

Something to consider, see below:

Interview for my concealed carry permit is scheduled for tomorrow and come to find out, my hunters safety course I did 28 years ago apparently never was submitted. Oh the joys of growing up on a reservation...

Thankfully, found an online hand gun safety course through FWP that qualifies and just finished it.

I’m going to go ahead and disagree with some very knowledgeable people here and present a case for a home defense weapon being equipped with a tactical light and night sights. A laser may be helpful for some but it is no substitute.

A tactical light is an invaluable tool if you're in the dark. But, like any aspect of defense, some training is in order. You don't just turn the light on and head out to see what's up. Finger on the light switch, quick on and off for observation, and then keep moving. I've got lights on two of my three home defense weapons. The G26 doesn't have rail grooves, or it'd have one too.

Lasers are 'cool' and are quite intimidating....but I wouldn't depend on one. Many of my LEO friends have lasers on their duty weapons, but they say they are for intimidation. A bad guy seeing a red dot on his chest often thinks things over a couple times. Obviously, this won't work in a firefight....the intimidation needed there is well directed lead.

Two critical aspects of home defense are target identification and sight alignment. The light is for telling burglars from your granddaughter. It’s slightly counter intuitive but there are many scenarios other than absolute darkness where your sights are in shadow or obscured. Tritium sights eliminate this concern via positive illumination and sight alignment at all times.

I have to replace all my tritium sights; they're past their lifetime and need to be swapped out. Looking very seriously at fiber optic. I've owned and used tritium sights for a long time, but I'm starting to think fiber optic sights may actually be better, especially with a tactical light. Oldest son has been living with us for a couple weeks, and his H&K has fiber optic sights. I like them a lot. Personal choice there, to be sure.

As they say, one man's opinion......

Amazon Link

Dry firing is a great way to improve your skills. The Laserlyte gives you the ability to visually see how your mechanics effect shot placement. I picked mine up for around $75 but with the current state of things the listed price isn't terrible.

Attachments

• 71tN3wKJerL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71tN3wKJerL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 5
Went and shot with my game warden friend tonight. I've been shooting for a long time, and learned so much from him. So much fun!View attachment 32513

That brings back some good memories! Ages ago my friends & I used to get together once a month for a "Smoke & Gun" weekend at a friend's private range outside San Marcos. Cigars, bourbon, chili, and lots of range practice. Everybody brought multiple firearms & we all got the chance to fire each other's stuff & learn from each other---one member had been on a Marine tactical team in Bosnia; another was a range coach for Austin SWAT; another grew up doing Rendezvous with black powder clubs. I learned a LOT.

~Boar

Ordered this holster on a whim that is designed to attach to a backpack strap. I like other Alien Gear stuff that I have, and it was cheap so I figured why not. Another nice thing is with this system I can get other shells for other guns, and different holster types, and they're all interchangeable.

Haven't put any time in with it yet, but seems promising.

IMG_20200803_224502_01.jpg

Grips were more aggressive than I love on the new 10,so made some new ones. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

IMG_20200804_174507.jpg

Grips were more aggressive than I love on the new 10,so made some new ones. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

View attachment 32640

Those micarta grips look like the same ones that came on my Springfield TRP. Man, those things were like a cheese grater. Those new ones turned out nice!

View attachment 32640
Looks good. I was on the other end of the spectrum, the factory grips were't aggressive enough. But then I'm the guy you see out in the rain doing wet hand drills too.

Looks good. I was on the other end of the spectrum, the factory grips were't aggressive enough. But then I'm the guy you see out in the rain doing wet hand drills too.
Yeah, that's not me! 😂😂😂

ETA: Forgot to add, another reason I made me grips was to add a little bit of size too, which worked out well.

Went to buy a .380 today and my damn background check got delayed again! 😂

Wish the gun shops I liked were closer, CCL can't get here soon enough. I did get some ammo at least though out of the hour and a half drive.

My dad passed away the December before last, and my step mom found a buyer for their house recently and is moving closer to her kids. I went over to pick up some of his stuff today, including these. Unfortunately, a bunch of his rifles are missing, but still grateful to have what we got. The .38 is the first handgun one of my brothers ever shot, and the .22 was my grandma's. Of all the guns my brothers remembered him having (20+), the side by side was the one gun my oldest brother said he wanted, so I'm glad that was still there. 20 gauge will be a perfect duck hunting gun for my son to go out with his uncles.

IMG_20200815_130121.jpgIMG_20200815_130716.jpgIMG_20200815_130321.jpgIMG_20200815_130049.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200815_130121.jpg
    IMG_20200815_130121.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200815_130716.jpg
    IMG_20200815_130716.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200815_130321.jpg
    IMG_20200815_130321.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200815_130049.jpg
    IMG_20200815_130049.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi all,

My AR shoots factory fresh ammo like a boss. Reloads are a different story. Jamming in the chamber or won’t fully feed. It seems my chamber is tighter than others shooting the same rounds. Thinking about polishing the chamber to make it “loose“. Any thoughts?

Hi all,

My AR shoots factory fresh ammo like a boss. Reloads are a different story. Jamming in the chamber or won’t fully feed. It seems my chamber is tighter than others shooting the same rounds. Thinking about polishing the chamber to make it “loose“. Any thoughts?
No. Don't mess with the chamber.
Get a full length sizing die and run it down all the way to the shell plate. Get a bushing for your calipers and measure the shoulder setback. Make sure you're bumping the shoulder back to SAAMI spec. If it gobbles factory ammo and hiccups on reloads, it's probably a reload issue.

Think this is probably the newest of the guns. Fun doing some research trying to figure out what exactly they are.

IMG_20200816_152123.jpgScreenshot_20200816-152205~2.png

The double barrel is an Ithaca, is about as far as I've gotten.

received_324232361960917.jpegreceived_647320159528508.jpeg

No. Don't mess with the chamber.
Get a full length sizing die and run it down all the way to the shell plate. Get a bushing for your calipers and measure the shoulder setback. Make sure you're bumping the shoulder back to SAAMI spec. If it gobbles factory ammo and hiccups on reloads, it's probably a reload issue.

I agree with Scap if You are reloading that would be a good place to start.

Factory AR? Whose reloads and are they light loads? What is it the rifle actually chambered in? M4 feed ramps? When you shoot where/how far are the shell casing landing? How dirty is the chamber? Were you shooting steel case factory ammo and then switched to brass cased reloads?

Been on a bit of a bender lately. .40 mags came today, so I dropped the .40 barrel into the 1911. Took a little doing, but everything is sliding smoothly now.

IMG_20200820_202449.jpg