• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H Upmann Mag 46 dissapointment....

Jan Primus

Just pitched my last Mag 46 from a box date code May 05. These cigars had serious burn issues. I'd say atleast 2/3rds of the box the cigars would not stay lit. There was not a draw problem with any of them, they just wouldn't stay lit. You'd suck hard on them to keep them lit but that would yeild nasty taste. Every time I'd get a bad one, I'd let them sit for awhile, but still after 2 yrs age they just wouldn't burn worth a ****. The few good ones had some great flavours though. They were properly stored at 65 and were definately real, bought from my usual vendor who I've had no problems with after many purchases. Anyone know why these refused to stay lit?

I don't smoke enough of them to know what may cause it, but I can sympathize with your issues. I had a box of these that was on and off. I'd pull one and it would smoke like a dream, then pull another a few days later and barely be able to get through it due to burn and draw issues.

When these are on, THEY ARE ON, but I haven't found much consistency.

The few that I've smoked have not been great. Burn and flavor issues (maybe just not to my liking).
If I have a couple around I'll try to get to them this week and see if things have changed!

I've had 05 Mag46 from cab that were just a fantastic blast of coffee and leather flavor. Others in the cab, though, were bland. Unfortunately, my experience has been that these are a bit variable. You know, the classic, "when they're on they're great" refrain.

It does not seem as if the 06 vintage fared much better as opposed to other recent cigars (Monte2) that have been regarded as hit or miss.

Wilkey

but still after 2 yrs age they just wouldn't burn worth a ****.

jan and others...one mans opinion of course...upmann allones and robainas all require lots of time...all three brands will increase in strength and flavour for AT LEAST 10 years...all three of these brands dont(to me)taste very good without substantial age.

if you have the "bible"(aieop-rhc)...take the minimum aging and multiply times 2 for allones or upmann(robaina as a brand is to young to say this about...but is an ongoing experiment by me).not sure what minimum aging is for mag46 but it isnt 1 year...so 2 years makes them still quite young.

lots of brands out there that smoke well young and still age nicely...patience or try something else.

to answer your question:burn issues that you mentioned = too young.

derrek :)

I enjoy these, I have 2 boxes of 05, one resting, one I'm smoking from occasionally. No burn issues for me and a nice young smoke.

Thank goodness we all like different women, imagine how many single one's there would be if we all had the same taste! :laugh:

Brian

I enjoy these, I have 2 boxes of 05, one resting, one I'm smoking from occasionally. No burn issues for me and a nice young smoke.

Thank goodness we all like different women, imagine how many single one's there would be if we all had the same taste! :laugh:

Brian

Agreed... I'm about done with an '05 CAB that has been splendelish! I'll buy another soon as well...

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's an age issue at all. This is not a matter of taste or draw, they simply won't smoke and haven't improved at all with 2 yrs on them. I know they're not prime time at 2 yrs, but I've smoked many, many young cubans and had no such problems. Oh well lotsa nice Cubans out there to spend my coin on, I think the VR Famasos smoke great at 2 yrs.

Just pitched my last Mag 46 from a box date code May 05. These cigars had serious burn issues. I'd say atleast 2/3rds of the box the cigars would not stay lit. There was not a draw problem with any of them, they just wouldn't stay lit. You'd suck hard on them to keep them lit but that would yeild nasty taste. Every time I'd get a bad one, I'd let them sit for awhile, but still after 2 yrs age they just wouldn't burn worth a ****. The few good ones had some great flavours though. They were properly stored at 65 and were definately real, bought from my usual vendor who I've had no problems with after many purchases. Anyone know why these refused to stay lit?

I'm glad you wrote this review Jan, I tried an '05 last week and had very similar results. The burn issues were not as bad as yours, though I did still experience burn issue that I don't with others. But what really threw me was the taste, not typical of what I have experienced from '03's at all, seemed to be much milder and just not what I remembered.

:cool:

I smoked one from 04 last week and it was awesome.Lately,I have been dry boxing my cigars for a day or two before smoking.It really seems to help the burn.Only problem is, sometimes I'll drybox something, then I'll be in the mood for a different smoke.I have had nothing but great luck with the Mag 46's.Big fan.

My experience is that Mag 46's age very well; '05 seems very young to really enjoy this cigar.