• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Habanero plant

anvil

Distant Member
Hi mates.
Heres a pic of my Habanero plant. 3 survived the two late frosts we had as I have them beside my flat. They are nowhere near ready yet but they look good. I grew some Tomatillos as well but was not real fussed with them.
Im hoping to have bigger plants ready for next summer as it looks like im going to have to buy some more chillies to make enough sauce to last the winter LOL.
DSC00690.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00693.jpg

my cat likes knocking off the Tomatillos and smackin em around the lawn.

I grew some habaneros a couple seasons ago. Very nice. That cat might not agree after it takes a bite out of one :0

If you want to make you peppers go further plant a Bhut Jolokia. They produce just as heartily and are about the same size plant. Here they are known as "ghost peppers" and abused on silly shows by people who should know better, but they go a great deal further when making sauces and, in my opinion, impart a sweeter and more organic (read not chemical-like) flavor. In fact they are very tasty. They also winter very well if you can grow them in a pot and bring them in for the winter and tuck them in the basement. They might lose their leaves and look horrible but they bounce back like crazy when you set them back out the following year. Just be careful when harvesting and cooking with them. They will burn the ever loving hell out of your skin and anything that you touch (I am sure you know that, but I would be remiss if I didn't say it)...always use gloves. Just expect to make BIG batches of sauce and salsa because one pepper will do a lot.

If you want to make you peppers go further plant a Bhut Jolokia. They produce just as heartily and are about the same size plant. Here they are known as "ghost peppers" and abused on silly shows by people who should know better, but they go a great deal further when making sauces and, in my opinion, impart a sweeter and more organic (read not chemical-like) flavor. In fact they are very tasty. They also winter very well if you can grow them in a pot and bring them in for the winter and tuck them in the basement. They might lose their leaves and look horrible but they bounce back like crazy when you set them back out the following year. Just be careful when harvesting and cooking with them. They will burn the ever loving hell out of your skin and anything that you touch (I am sure you know that, but I would be remiss if I didn't say it)...always use gloves. Just expect to make BIG batches of sauce and salsa because one pepper will do a lot.

Yes I have heard of them, but haven't seen the seeds down here yet.
I normally pack in as many Habaneros as I can when I make sauce so the hotter the better.
I like hot smoking them, and then when they are dry, powdering them, as they get hotter and you can fit more in the recipe. ;)

Yeah, I had to write to the national pepper society to get them but I think they are being more widely distributed as time goes on. You could also try the Scotch Bonnet. Those little bastards also put the heat to you. I've only dried and powdered, but never smoked. Looks like I have yet another project come summer time. What kind of wood do you use to smoke them?

Yeah, I had to write to the national pepper society to get them but I think they are being more widely distributed as time goes on. You could also try the Scotch Bonnet. Those little bastards also put the heat to you. I've only dried and powdered, but never smoked. Looks like I have yet another project come summer time. What kind of wood do you use to smoke them?

Nate!

How the hell are you? Good to see you around brother! :thumbs:

Ive used Oak(English) which gives a mild smoke but very nice. But now I use Manuka which is a NZ wood. Very much stronger smoky flavor than Oak and real nice.
The first time I smoked em for 8 hrs and man they were good.

Oh, you know, living the dream. I lurk around from time to time but hope to be around more often. I see more new faces than old but I see a lot of good guys are still kickin'.

Any food smokers out there know a good substitute for said New Zeland wood, or something that you've tried with success?

Great to see two guys who dropped off the face of CP for a while back, though I could have done without Dave coming back! :p

Nate. just so you know, Dave's sauce that he makes is so far beyond rediculously hot I don't even know how to explain it. I still have probably 1/4 of a jar he sent me I don't know how many years ago, and I add a smidge of it to anything I'm making that I want some heat to.

My sister has a nice chunk of land and she has given me the go ahead to grow. I told her about the Bhut Jolokia and said she would pass on them. But gave the ok to also grow them. I'm thinking of doing a 10' x 10' plot, Maybe 20' x 20' so a bunch of vegetables can be grown as well. Kinda love the weather down here as you can grow most of the year. I need to figure out how to get the seeds I need and go from there. Then test the soil. :laugh:

I wish I could grow peppers in Ohio, but the weather here just doesn't like anything spicy

I wish I could grow peppers in Ohio, but the weather here just doesn't like anything spicy

I'm in Ohio and just about any pepper I grow does very well (though there are a few fungi and blights that seem to affect a few of the heirloom varieties). In fact, I was still harvesting peppers two weeks after I ripped the plants out and threw them in the compost pile in November of last year! If you are up north a little more just start them in pots when most people down south start to plant them outside. Then move the pots to the south facing part of your yard when it warms up. I grow almost all my peppers this way.

Mr. Peat...Here is where I got mine. They do ship internationally. It seems you can get them on Amazon now too. Seed Savers Exchange is an awesome place to get heirloom seeds for anything and Territorial Seed Company is another great source for strange and hard to find peppers. I'm not hawking any of these places, just spreading the word.

Great to see two guys who dropped off the face of CP for a while back, though I could have done without Dave coming back! :p

Nate. just so you know, Dave's sauce that he makes is so far beyond rediculously hot I don't even know how to explain it. I still have probably 1/4 of a jar he sent me I don't know how many years ago, and I add a smidge of it to anything I'm making that I want some heat to.

LMFAO.
Good on ya Justin.

You still got some of that sauce,, Damn man that's gonna get better each year. Im guessing its around 5 years old???
I just finished eating my first batch of pickled Jalapenos (12 years old ) they seemed to get hotter. But were still good to eat.
Hopefully I will be making some more in a few weeks of the hot sauce.