• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Half smoked cigar put back in Humi

Tough crowd... :laugh:

Boy, I'll say...

souldog24ca's solution was best. Lightly sand with fine grad paper. Vacuum out sand dust.
Coat inside with distilled water. I would do a heavy coat and let it dry out over night with the lid open.
Next day, coat again and close lid. Open next day. Any cigar smoke, repeat.

- KiltLad

I am airing it out for a week and then re seasoning; if that does not work I will air it out then try the sanding and then reseason....if that does not work, I will try to replace with exact replica with out the gf knowing :cool:

Either that or I am taking Bigjakes advice and after reading some more and just wait for the smell to be gone.

I did that with a Cohiba red dot, except I didnt put it in a zip lock bag. Just wipe it down with distilled water and let it air out for a day or two. It should be fine after.

Step one: Take everything out of the humi

Step two: Place a bottle of Hai Karate cologne in the humi

Step three: Place humi and Hai Karate in the microwave on high for 4 minutes

Step four: Place your sticks back in there immediately

Voila....you have made ACID's

Mein GOTT! Do they still make that stuff?!

Is keeping a $10 cigar b/c you can't finish it, really worth ruining all your other cigars, which could add up to $$$$$?

If I can't finish the last 2/3 of the cigar, I write it off and don't worry about it. There will be more then enough days to pick up another one and enjoy the entire cigar.

Forget the smell in the humi(and don't you dare sand that thing btw)...... I'd be more concerned that a half smoked, stored in a plastic baggie overnight, and relit on the second day San Cristobal was..... how did you put it again?........

.......great to finish and did not seem to notice a difference.

That's got to be a first!

Not sure I understand the actual problem.... if you couldn't tell any difference when smoking the re lit cigar why do you believe it will make a difference "to you" with any of your other smokes? Am I missing something?

Edited to add: CigarStone - Hai Karate? OMG, most of these kids have no idea what you're talking about but I can tell you, back in the day, what a chick magnet I was. ROFLMAO! :laugh: :cool:

Is keeping a $10 cigar b/c you can't finish it, really worth ruining all your other cigars, which could add up to $$$$$?

If I can't finish the last 2/3 of the cigar, I write it off and don't worry about it. There will be more then enough days to pick up another one and enjoy the entire cigar.

Again, stating the obvious, I had no idea of the results that I found the next day. I have no problem writing off a half smoked cigar, but for some reason that night I did not want to waste that one....that one cigar will always remind me.

thanks for the link Lurch, I did not find that one. When you did the baking soda, you obviously shut it?

Again, stating the obvious, I had no idea of the results that I found the next day. I have no problem writing off a half smoked cigar, but for some reason that night I did not want to waste that one....that one cigar will always remind me.

thanks for the link Lurch, I did not find that one. When you did the baking soda, you obviously shut it?

Yep... Closed it overnight. That didn't yield results like I thought it would so I left it open in the sun. That did the trick so I reseasoned it and it was back to normal. I still have that humi today as my super-premium box.

Yep... Closed it overnight. That didn't yield results like I thought it would so I left it open in the sun. That did the trick so I reseasoned it and it was back to normal. I still have that humi today as my super-premium box.

You're an animal Michael...

It has been airing out for 24 hours now, just took a smell and could smell more cedar than anything else. I have now closed it with some Baking Soda on a paper towel. Lets see how it goes.

I left the baking soda in there for over 24 hours, and the cedar smell returned. I then reseasoned the humi and let it sit for 3 1/2 days. After the 4th day, it was holding 72 no issues. So this morning I returned my cigars to the humi and set the COXL. I made a tupidor for the smokes I want to smoke the next day or so, so then I am not opening my humi while it is trying to catch up with the smokes.

All seems to be going well.

A BIG THANKS to all the help and advice!

Bet you don't do that again!

Ok, now that he's dodged a bullet (albeit, an annoying bullet)...

For the future... what about using a guillotine cutter, to cut off about an inch of the lit end? Was it the ash itself that caused the odor? Or would there still be enough impurities in the unburnt tobacco that could still cause the smell?

For the future... what about using a guillotine cutter, to cut off about an inch of the lit end? Was it the ash itself that caused the odor? Or would there still be enough impurities in the unburnt tobacco that could still cause the smell?

Some folks learn from books, and some fortunate few can learn from observing the mistakes of others . . . and then there's the rest, those poor souls that for some reason just HAVE to pee on the electric fence for themselves . . . :laugh:

~Boar

I tried cutting the ash end off of a cigar and found the tobacco beginning to burn much farther in from where I was cutting. This is just me...but if I'm lighting up, I've set aside enough time to finish "enough" of the cigar to appreciate it. I've also made it a point to do the research on shorter smokes to have on hand as well. Worse case scenario...if I can't finish a cigar for whatever reason, I just let it go out and come back to it at my first opportunity, knowing that it's going to have that "relight" taste to it. There's enough compromises in not finishing a cigar, that it's taught me to think ahead at least a good hour or so before lighting up something that I've put a fair enough amount of thought into purchasing.

Does the smoke just go into that 'inch' of the cigar? ;)

1) Smoke it to the nub.
2) If you can't, throw it out.
3) If you REALLY need to save it - get a cigar saver!

If you don't have time to smoke a long one, use a short one!
If you get to 'high' - slow down and/or have some sugar!