• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help a beginner with her humidor

Use the one you have for a dry box. It’s a nice small one for that. I need to buy a small one for a dry box. Buy a 62% boveda for the wood one you have to make it a dry box

I am having troubles with my humidor. I tried seasoning it by putting a bowl of water in it overnight and then filling the humidifier with solution from a B&M but it didn't work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong
As everyone else said, do not use tap water -- only use distilled water. As for seasoning a humidor, it is not an overnight process; it can take a week or more, depending on the size of the humidor. You can find instructions for the process in the stickies around the forum.

I have these Govees, they have a digital readout as well as BlueTooth.

I like these "Tupperware" boxes, not Tupperware brand, but have a gasket on the lid and a snap lock on each side.

You aren't in the maniac stage yet so that might seem large, but if you get even a little into the hobby it'll fill fast. I have stacks of them in a closet, ordering another tonight. I like this size because they'll hold the square-ish cabinet style boxes as well as the flat dress style boxes. Even if you aren't to the box buying stage yet, it might come in handy in the future and won't hurt anything in the near term.

And I have a very similar wood with glass top humidor as in your 1st post. The thing is, you probably want to store cigars at maybe a little more humidity than they need to be to smoke their best - this is where the "dry box" you are hearing about comes in. I store cigars in those Tupperware boxes and coolers with Bovedas in them. When I open one of those up, I'll grab a cigar or 2 while it's open and put them in my wood/glass humidor where they are now in the dry box phase. These might set in that for a few days until I get around to smoking them. This way, you don't have to try to smoke cigars that are at higher humidity levels, and you don't have to store your cigars at too low of a humidity level so they'll smoke right.

You -can- make that wood/glass thing work, but it'll take daily adjustments and even then you'll look at it one day and it'll be out of whack. Just too much finicky work, this stuff is supposed to be fun!

I've only been here a little over a year and have gone from the exact same humidor that's giving you fits to a fairly nice setup that will store a shit ton of cigars at constant humidity. It's nothing to look at, not a pretty display - the only thing on display is that lone wood/glass humidor, the rest is in a closet and that helps keep the temp constant. And every single thing I've learned has come from reading the exploits of those here who've done it all before I ever put a lighter to a cigar.

Help? I would start by suggesting putting some clean sheets on the stained mattress.

Second, read read read the forums and use the search feature before posting noobie beginner questions - there are 22 years of documented questions and answers in the archive, but they do require a little effort to research.

The thing is, the wealth of information you stumble across as you search and read is the true value of this community.
Well this deserved both a love and laughing emoji. You da man!