• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hmm...Start Pipe Smoking?

DKAudio

For those of you who don't know, I had to sell my entire cigar collection due to finances. I am anxious to start collecting again and posted a few topics on cheap cigar recommendations. One member suggested starting to smoke a pipe. I have many questions...

In oz, how big is the average bowl?

Don't know where to start looking for pipe tabacco but this sounds really good to me...
http://www.justforhim.com/shop/product_inf...;products_id=61
I like a creamier smoke.

Is there a link of complete steps on how to properly pack, light, smoke and clean a pipe?

I saw that pipes themselves are quite expensive, the cheapest I found was around $25 which is still more than I want to spend right now. Anyone by chance have an old pipe that they would be willing to sell?

How are you supposed to store pipe tabacco, is it stringent to RH and Temp like cigars?

Finally, smoking a pipe has never really crossed my mind before do you guys recommend it? Is it in a completely different field than cigars as far as taste/pleasure goes?

Think that about covers it right now. Thanks

Dan

I'll agree with Prometheus that if you can't afford it, don't smoke!!

However, that being said, PM me your addy and next time I'm in Detroit, I'll mail you a couple of pipes and some tobacco samples. I have plenty of pipes not in my rotation I got when I started smoking pipes.

As for your question on bowl size, there are ~ 10 bowls / ounce of tobacco for an average pipe bowl size.

Thanks for the replies. It was suggested because it is a lot cheaper than smoking cigars, correct? It appears that once you have the pipe the tabacco is cheap. Thanks

Thanks for the replies. It was suggested because it is a lot cheaper than smoking cigars, correct? It appears that once you have the pipe the tabacco is cheap. Thanks

All depends really. Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Apple...crap like that is pretty cheap.
Those delicious other tins though....Dunhill, Gawith, Davidoff, Presbyterian, Peterson, Esoterica, MacBarens, etc...those add up. You get more mileage out of them than stick, sure....but you can't stop at just one.

And, kept in decent conditions, unopened, those tins last ages. I have some old tins that I've been aging...going on 12 years now. Patience is not necessarily a virtue of mine though...some tins I've opened at about 4-6 years of aging have been absolutely amazing though...

But as others have said...if cost is an issue for you, don't do it.

Ok...I never correct any spelling but please spell it like it should and its Pipe Tobacco. Now with that said. If you think $25 is more than you want to spend on a pipe, then you are cheating yourself and the pipe tobacco. Just don't buy it and give up smoking altogether until you can actually afford the hobby. As for how many bowls you can get from an ounce of tobacco is not an answer one can set it stone. Depends on the type of tobacco you have and the style of pipes and sizes you are putting it into. I've managed to make a 50gram tin go over 20 to 40 bowls on an average. But I have been smoking pipes for 10 years now and have been around them for over 30 years.

Is pipe smoking cheaper than smoking cigars? Sure once you have your pipes. I've been known to smoke 5 to 10 cigars a day for months straight so yeah, pipe smoking is definitely a cheaper route to take. Plus you have to remember pipe smoking is more than a hobby. It takes a lot of skill, practice, and patience in learning about pipes from breaking them in to all the different pipe tobacco and maintenance. I didn't learn how to keep my pipe burning 2 hours straight without many bowls smoked first.

But if you are set to try pipes I'd go with a cheap Meerschaum pipe over a cheap briar pipe. They can be found on Ebay pretty easy. Sure, not the best quality nor a big bowl but you want cheap and this is what you get. A cheap briar from my experience will burn really damn hot in the hand and make for a very unpleasant experience. Plus the advantage the Meerschaum will have over the briar is that you can smoke it a ton more without really having to let it rest before the next bowl.

As for pipe tobacco. A local B&M shop that has pipe tobacco will surely have a nice local variety that is sold for generally $2 to $4 an ounce without you having to buy the tins that cost $6 to $20 a pop which can be either 50 gram tins or 100 gram tins.

Before dropping some of your limited funds on something like a nice pipe, get yourself a few (3 or 4) corn cob pipes, and some small amounts of different tobaccos. The drug-store stuff will be heavily PG'ed to stay moist longer, but they simply don't have the same flavor for the most part, and the extra moisture is not really a good thing for maintaining good pipes (it's not impossible, but you need to clean them out a bit more which means going through more pipe cleaners, etc.), not to mention they don't burn as well.

You'll need to factor in the pipe, tobacco, cleaners, a cheap tamper, and maybe a cheap folding stand if you need to put your pipe down while smoking, you want it to stay upright!) You could probably get everything for less than $20 if you shop around.

MacBaren- Pipe Starter Kit is a little bit more, but has everything you need to get started (if you want to try aromatics to start with). They're also a good place to shop for more stuff.

Frenchy's has good prices on cheap and used pipes when you want to step up (he has a couple starter and first timer deals as well - you could get a good selection of cobs from him)

GFO has some good lower end things (great prices on Kaywoodies), and they offer free shipping on everything

Smoking Pipes has a lot of great stuff (free shipping on orders over $75 - which is easy to do once you get into it :) )

4noggins is another good place for tobacco - they have a lot of custom blends.

Although I haven't done it myself, as long as you're placing orders for a few tins many places will let you have samples of tobacco if you ask (broswe their bulk offerings, but don;t try to abuse them) Many B&M's will let you sample stuff as well - might be a good idea to not only get advice, but to try something before you buy it.

Bump...

Thanks for trying Newfie...

Anybody else have a pipe they would sell, again for my first pipe.

DK, as others have said, if you're tight on cash, you should focus on taking care of business and not worry about smoking anything, let alone start up a new hobby. Give it a rest....

Take care of the important things and the luxury items will follow.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Edited for schpelling.....

Hi, DKAudio! I received approximately 5 lbs. of FREE Altadis Pipe Tobaccos (22 assorted pouches) via UPS. You can, too! To signup, please visit http://www.pipeshowonline.com/p7.aspx. You can't get much cheaper than FREE! These Altadis Pipe Tobacco samples will give you a good start, and won't cost you anything! Regards, knightlaird

If I had to smoke the crap in that free Altadis sampler, I'd give up pipe smoking.

DK, as others have said, if you're tight on cash, you should focus on taking care of business and not worry about smoking anything, let alone start up a new hobby. Give it a rest....

Take care of the important things and the luxury items will follow.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Edited for schpelling.....

Here is the deal...
My wife works as a CSM for Cub Foods and is not even full time. She likes her job so hate to ask her to get a new one.

I work as a lighting technician and travel the lower 48. I am only 22 and this is a good job for me right now (even though money is not the greatest). I feel I am doing quite good for my age as I am located in a pretty expensive living area. We get 3% raises annually which is basically the cost of living. Bought my house when I was 21 and we have had it a little over a year now.

My financial situation is going to stay where it is for a while. I don't want to wait 10 years to have a cigar. That is why I come here asking if anyone knows of some deals that would help me save some money.

I am not trying to irritate my BOTLs, just turn to you guys for advice/answers. I can tell you are tired of hearing from me by your "give it a rest" reply.

I am sorry

OK, let's try this : The meer is a great suggestion, look on ebay for the smaller ones. Cobs are a cheap way to go also, just don't smoke them all the way to the bottom as you'll burn the stem inserted into the bowl. Pipe cleaners are cheap, buy several packs as you will use them quick. The links to the online sellers are a good starting place, most all that offer bulk tobacco will let you pick a ounce of several choices for a set price. Great way to find what you like. A nail or a drywall screw makes a fine tamper. Stay away from the ebay estate pipes until you have a bit more knowledge about pipes.

About smoking a pipe: Moisture level is somewhat of a personal preference just like cigars. A good gage to start with is pinch a clump of tobacco between your fingers. If it stays in a clump when you let go it's too moist, let it air dry a couple hours. If it crumbles it's too dry. If a bit too dry after filling the pipe blow into the bowl. The moisture in your breath will be enough let you smoke it.
There are several ways to fill the pipe some a bit to complicated to use when first starting. The 3 pack method is good to start with or gravity fill. Three step is to place a pinch in the bowl and tamp with a baby's strength, a second pinch tamped with a womans strength, the third pinch with a mans strength. This doesn't mean you jam the tobacco on the last step, just firmly enough to level the tobacco to just below the rim of the bowl.
Gravity fill is just as it sounds, sprinkle tobacco into the bowl until it's just above the rim, then tamp down just below the rim.
To light, first make a "charring light", gently pull the flame onto the tobacco completely over the bowl, puff slowly a couple of times and tamp the tobacco down as it will spring up with the first light. light a second time and remember to puff slow. As the tobacco burns down you will need to tamp the ash. This is done softly, just firm enough to pack the burning tobacco and ash down on the remainder of the tobacco. A good gage is when you notice less smoke as you puff. If the pipe starts to go out do not puff faster as this will result in tongue burn. Just tamp and relight.
Tongue burn is cause mostly by smoking too fast. As tobacco burns moisture is released as steam, the faster you puff the hotter the burn and more steam is produced.
Remember the idea is to relax and enjoy smoking your pipe, puff slowly, enjoy the taste and be amazed at the experience. It will lower your heart rate and your blood pressure and give you a positive outlook on life.

OK, let's try this : The meer is a great suggestion, look on ebay for the smaller ones. Cobs are a cheap way to go also, just don't smoke them all the way to the bottom as you'll burn the stem inserted into the bowl. Pipe cleaners are cheap, buy several packs as you will use them quick. The links to the online sellers are a good starting place, most all that offer bulk tobacco will let you pick a ounce of several choices for a set price. Great way to find what you like. A nail or a drywall screw makes a fine tamper. Stay away from the ebay estate pipes until you have a bit more knowledge about pipes.

About smoking a pipe: Moisture level is somewhat of a personal preference just like cigars. A good gage to start with is pinch a clump of tobacco between your fingers. If it stays in a clump when you let go it's too moist, let it air dry a couple hours. If it crumbles it's too dry. If a bit too dry after filling the pipe blow into the bowl. The moisture in your breath will be enough let you smoke it.
There are several ways to fill the pipe some a bit to complicated to use when first starting. The 3 pack method is good to start with or gravity fill. Three step is to place a pinch in the bowl and tamp with a baby's strength, a second pinch tamped with a womans strength, the third pinch with a mans strength. This doesn't mean you jam the tobacco on the last step, just firmly enough to level the tobacco to just below the rim of the bowl.
Gravity fill is just as it sounds, sprinkle tobacco into the bowl until it's just above the rim, then tamp down just below the rim.
To light, first make a "charring light", gently pull the flame onto the tobacco completely over the bowl, puff slowly a couple of times and tamp the tobacco down as it will spring up with the first light. light a second time and remember to puff slow. As the tobacco burns down you will need to tamp the ash. This is done softly, just firm enough to pack the burning tobacco and ash down on the remainder of the tobacco. A good gage is when you notice less smoke as you puff. If the pipe starts to go out do not puff faster as this will result in tongue burn. Just tamp and relight.
Tongue burn is cause mostly by smoking too fast. As tobacco burns moisture is released as steam, the faster you puff the hotter the burn and more steam is produced.
Remember the idea is to relax and enjoy smoking your pipe, puff slowly, enjoy the taste and be amazed at the experience. It will lower your heart rate and your blood pressure and give you a positive outlook on life.
Awesome reply, thank you very much. I just found some cob pipes and really like the Ozark Mountain, I think I will start with that. Also, is there a difference in bent and straight other than looks/feel?

Thanks again Wascal!

I just found some cob pipes and really like the Ozark Mountain, I think I will start with that. Also, is there a difference in bent and straight other than looks/feel?

Thanks again Wascal!

The real difference is how you smoke them. A straight pipe has a nasty habit of letting you suck up the tar build up and its very bitter tasting. Not a pleasant taste and I know from personal experience. Usually a straight pipe will be able to put a filter in the stem which will help trap the moisture in the filter. Not always effective but it does a fine damn good job.

The bent pipe will generally trap the tar/moisture under the stem as they have a little reservoir at the bottom. You can still get some tar moisture in the stem but its easily able to avoid. Just run a pipe cleaner down the stem a little once you hear a gurgling sound.

I just found some cob pipes and really like the Ozark Mountain, I think I will start with that. Also, is there a difference in bent and straight other than looks/feel?

Thanks again Wascal!

The real difference is how you smoke them. A straight pipe has a nasty habit of letting you suck up the tar build up and its very bitter tasting. Not a pleasant taste and I know from personal experience. Usually a straight pipe will be able to put a filter in the stem which will help trap the moisture in the filter. Not always effective but it does a fine damn good job.

The bent pipe will generally trap the tar/moisture under the stem as they have a little reservoir at the bottom. You can still get some tar moisture in the stem but its easily able to avoid. Just run a pipe cleaner down the stem a little once you hear a gurgling sound.
Ok, I will start with the bent one then. Most of you guys do not use filters, correct?

Thanks again Wascal!

Ok, I will start with the bent one then. Most of you guys do not use filters, correct?
I have some filter pipes from Europe, where they are more popular, and I smoke them with and without the filters. Mostly without, since I can't be bothered to get up from my chair once I'm settled in and go find one. :laugh: Here's a link, Alt Smokers Pipes, that will give you more information than you can stand about everything from how to pack a bowl to how to refinish an estate pipel

The inexpensive filter pipes available in the US are Medico and Dr. Grabow (still being sold, right? :rolleyes: )
Missouri Meerschaums (the cob folks) put Medico filters in their pipes, but that's just another expense and something to fiddle with. :D But some folks like them, and they do trap moisture.

I have some filter pipes from Europe, where they are more popular, and I smoke them with and without the filters. Mostly without, since I can't be bothered to get up from my chair once I'm settled in and go find one. :laugh: Here's a link, Alt Smokers Pipes, that will give you more information than you can stand about everything from how to pack a bowl to how to refinish an estate pipel

The inexpensive filter pipes available in the US are Medico and Dr. Grabow (still being sold, right? :rolleyes: )
Missouri Meerschaums (the cob folks) put Medico filters in their pipes, but that's just another expense and something to fiddle with. :D But some folks like them, and they do trap moisture.
Great link, thanks.

Ok, I got a straight Ozark at my B&M. Also got some tobacco the owner recommended...
It is aromatic, Smoker's Pride Vanilla. They only had one non-aromatic and it was $29!
My first experience was horrible. I could only get 2 puffs and it would go out. I did the three pack method.