• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Holt's announces Padilla's demise?

Ahhh, revisionist history.

No response from Mr. Levine. I suppose he figured that what he stood to gain from facing us was outweighed by what he stood to lose. How disappointingly predictable.

Wilkey

Levin, one of the oldest rules of customer service applies. For every individual who posted in this thread, there are 15-20 others, perhaps more that have quietly tossed your catelog in the round file.

You see I have a big problem with this whole mess due to the fact that when I was a boy of 4 to 6 years old, my Grandfather would take me down to Holt's original storefront every couple of weeks to purchase his cigars and pipe tobacco. Mr. Levin Sr. would greet my Granddad by his first name and always took the time to lean down and give me his hand and welcome me as well. They would then stand around and talk while I got to walk through the store with big eyes while taking deep breaths of the wonderful smelling pipe tobaccos.

These are some of my earliest and fondest memories of my youth and I must say that without those trips to Holt's (and taking puffs from Pop-pop's smokes when Nana wasn't looking), I might not be a cigar and pipe smoker now.

So that some asshat marketing genius has now sullied the (IMO) good name of Holt's and in doing so tarnished some of my more golden memories makes me pretty damn mad.

I can almost hear Pop-pop and Mr. Albert Levin rolling in their graves.

I've never bought from Holt's online, but every time I was back in PA. I always made the trip to visit the store. Now I probably will no longer bother, the deliberate slurring of the name of one of the makers of some of the better cigars out there, just went way too far over the line for me to accept it.

"Buh-bye" Holt's

*edit* "Buh-bye" ... god how kindergarten can you get? :rolleyes:

You see I have a big problem with this whole mess due to the fact that when I was a boy of 4 to 6 years old, my Grandfather would take me down to Holt's original storefront every couple of weeks to purchase his cigars and pipe tobacco. Mr. Levin Sr. would greet my Granddad by his first name and always took the time to lean down and give me his hand and welcome me as well. They would then stand around and talk while I got to walk through the store with big eyes while taking deep breaths of the wonderful smelling pipe tobaccos.

These are some of my earliest and fondest memories of my youth and I must say that without those trips to Holt's (and taking puffs from Pop-pop's smokes when Nana wasn't looking), I might not be a cigar and pipe smoker now.

So that some asshat marketing genius has now sullied the (IMO) good name of Holt's and in doing so tarnished some of my more golden memories makes me pretty damn mad.

I can almost hear Pop-pop and Mr. Albert Levin rolling in their graves.

I've never bought from Holt's online, but every time I was back in PA. I always made the trip to visit the store. Now I probably will no longer bother, the deliberate slurring of the name of one of the makers of some of the better cigars out there, just went way too far over the line for me to accept it.

"Buh-bye" Holt's

*edit* "Buh-bye" ... god how kindergarten can you get? :rolleyes:
This is very much the way I feel, though I don't have the luxury of wonderful memories that go back as far as yours. I posted earlier about my "end of the innocence" experience with the store, so I think we're on the same page here with our disappointment equaling or outweighing our outrage.

tigger started a thread over at CF to bring up the same issue, quoting my post in this thread. While many people doubted his source ( :sign: ), here was one post that was just made. I thought it appropriate to copy here in light of Ernesto's post:
On behalf of Holt's, I want to issue an apology to Ernesto Padilla and Padilla Cigars for the tenor of recent comments in our Father's Day 2008 Catalog. The tone of these comments and the copy in question steps over the line of good taste. I assume personal responsibility as part of my role at Holt's is to approve final copy, and in the rush of going to press, this one slipped past me. For over 100 years, Holt's name has been synonymous with high-quality products, premier customer service and a respect for our customers and our industry and this copy does not comport with those high standards.

Sincerely,
Sathya Levin
Holt's Cigar Company

This is the most lame *ss backhanded apology I've seen since...... well in a while. Did he just "assume personal responsibility" and 'let this one slip past him', essentially putting the blame back on the individual who wrote it, all in one sentence? Just lame.

This is very much the way I feel, though I don't have the luxury of wonderful memories that go back as far as yours. I posted earlier about my "end of the innocence" experience with the store, so I think we're on the same page here with our disappointment equaling or outweighing our outrage.

100%

The whole thing just makes me :( and :angry: all at the same time... ah what the hell, time to go smoke a stick and forget about it.

I wish everyone could operate with as much class as Ernesto Padilla. The cigar industry would only improve.

Stinki

While I'll leave Pete to his own devices, Ernesto is at the top of my 'meet n greet' list. I'll even consider helping Levin get rid of all those nasty Padilla cigars. With his post in this thread, I might have to look Dion in the eyes as well.

The Fall of Holt's will be attributed to this young man.

CF6-FV04-02N.jpg

The problem w/ Levin's apology is that copy like that should not even make it to his desk. Sounds like he needs to re-org his marketing dept.

That's funny they say discontinued because Ernesto just said on this thread that they will continue just that they will be manufactured in their new factory? It's so confusing!

hey everyone - my name is tim and i'm padilla's western regional manager. this is not exactly the way i wanted to make my first post, but stuff happens.

flamchop - all five of our current lines will continue to be manufactured and nothing will be discontinued. when the factory is completed, the signature 1932, the miami and the 1948 will be manufactured there. the habano and the series 1968 will continue to be manufactured at their respective factories.

and after all that's happened here, all i ask is that you keep smoking our cigars and let the smokes be your guide. i believe we are still making some of the best cigars on the market.

and i will be around to answer any questions you may have about padilla cigars.

hi rod!

Thanks for the update Tim.
I'm glad to hear that all your current lines will continue.
You guys make some fine cigars.

Thanks for the update Tim.
I'm glad to hear that all you current lines will continue.
You guys make some fine cigars.

x2... you really do make some fantastic sticks!!!

Could you perhaps offer any insight as to why Holt's would be under the assumption that these products were to be discontinued? And if they were not under this assumption why they would explicitly lead others to believe this? In addition, why would Famous Smoke also list these products as discontinued? Thanks in advance Tim..... inquiring minds want to know. :)

Hey Tim,

Welcome aboard! Sorry I missed you at Azucar a few weeks ago.

Best,
Rod

Aren't you all glad you belong to a community that's not beholding to a manufacturer?

Doc.

Hey Guys, I have been reluctant to post anything but it seems that many people on both Cigar Family and Cigar Pass are associating this happening to both Pepin and I.

I cannot comment on what happened between Sathya and Ernesto as none of it involves Me or the Garcia family but I will pass on a message from Jaime(Pepin's Son)

Jaime wanted me to relay that his concern is not to get involved with this commentary but only to make more cigars with better quality for you the consumer. Period!

I agree with this. Let's move forward and get back to making this industry stronger not divided.

Pete

Hey Guys, I have been reluctant to post anything but it seems that many people on both Cigar Family and Cigar Pass are associating this happening to both Pepin and I.

I cannot comment on what happened between Sathya and Ernesto as none of it involves Me or the Garcia family but I will pass on a message from Jaime(Pepin's Son)

Jaime wanted me to relay that his concern is not to get involved with this commentary but only to make more cigars with better quality for you the consumer. Period!

I agree with this. Let's move forward and get back to making this industry stronger not divided.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for that info. We all appreciate your contribution to the industry. It was great meeting you at SWAM with Bernie a few weeks back. Looking forward to your next visit to the rock. :thumbs: Now...about those Black Labels........ :D :D :D

Found this little Gem on p. 42 advertising their "Usual Suspects" sampler. Thus far it hasn't been removed from the online PDF:
While cigar nuts nationwide stare wide-eyed at the Usual Suspects with drool hanging off of their chops, our shoddy competitors will be grinding their teeth and turning green with envy. If you’re a chump famous for putting out raggedy catalogs chock full of garbage, you need to throw in the towel. Holt’s is just too strong!
I guess this one "slipped by" Sathya, too, huh? High-class all the way.