• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homemade Ginger ale

beyond the band

cantankerous newb
* edit to add*
I just sampled over ice. This stuff is way better than any Ginger ale I have ever tried!

Alton Brown.

I just bottled this. Waiting for the fermentation and carbonation.
I tried a sip and it was fantastic. I can't wait to try this with bubbles.
The hour wait time was perfect to sit and enjoy a Saturday morning robusto yard gar.

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces finely grated fresh ginger
6 ounces sugar
7 1/2 cups filtered water
1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Directions
Place the ginger, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the water into a 2-quart saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to steep for 1 hour.

Pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing down to get all of the juice out of the mixture. Chill quickly by placing over and ice bath and stirring or set in the refrigerator, uncovered, until at least room temperature, 68 to 72 degrees F.

Using a funnel, pour the syrup into a clean 2-liter plastic bottle and add the yeast, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups of water. Place the cap on the bottle, gently shake to combine and leave the bottle at room temperature for 48 hours. Open and check for desired amount of carbonation. It is important that once you achieve your desired amount of carbonation that you refrigerate the ginger ale. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, opening the bottle at least once a day to let out excess carbonation.

Wow, homemade ginger ale! Never would of thought to make it but you've piqued my curiosity. I will have to try that this weekend. Thanks for sharing. Its nice to have an alternative to the high fructose corn syrup-laden junk. Alton Brown's recipes are always winners.

I'm now on my second batch. This time I added a little lime juice to the lemon juice. Yum yum

Right on bro! I've wanted to make some after the first time I saw him make it on Good Eats but never got around to it....yet anyways!

I have never made this, but have tried this version. It was killer! I like the idea of having lemon and lime juice...I will be making some this weekend.

Seems weird there is no concern over sanitizing the bottle, bowl, or anything it comes in contact with post-boil? Probably doesn't matter since it goes in the fridge pretty much immediately I guess, probably just my homebrewer paranoia coming through. I really need to get a secondary regulator for my kegerator so I can keep a soda on tap for the kids...

No you really don't. Fruit juice but I don't think it comes in kegs.

I really need to get a secondary regulator for my kegerator so I can keep a soda on tap for the kids...

What type of yeast do you use? Same as you find in the baking aisle of the supermarket?