• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Honest opinions

IMO...really depends how much disposable income you have. If I had Warren Buffett's money I probably wouldn't smoke any cigar less than $1000/each. :)

I replied to a post about some Opus X earlier today, in which I said very few or none are worth that with the exception of some legit rare smokes i.e. BBMF, LBMF, ISOM Davidoff's, Opus X Maduros, Padron 40th Torpedo and some others. The bottom line is prices are driven by supply and demand and retailers have the upper hand. :angry:

Edit for punctuation.

Depends on your preference. I just paid $25 a stick for some opus X that is normally 11.50 msrp.

I'll wait until you are done laughing, pointing, snickering, etc.

The only justification I have is that when I see something that doesn't come often, I always take the opportunity. Why should I wait for something that may or may not be there 7 months down the road when a chance lies before me right this moment?

Am I happy with my purchase? Of course!!! What fool would waste money without being fully aware of the consequence? Would I do it again? Probably next year, kinda tapped out at the moment... no wait, let me think.

Ok, after pondering for about 2 seconds, DEFINITELY, I will do it again, but with more planning. Perhaps starting in Jan 07' (he unofficially banned me from the store until next year ??? ) I'll start getting more comfortable with the B&M owner and maybe He'll gladly order some extra boxes for me.

edit - for punctuation

edit 2 - wanted to add

I read this somewhere, but I'll quote it again. "There is no such thing as an expensive premium." If the Boston Red Sox are willing to pay 52 million dollars just to talk to some Japanese guy, I'm sure someone is willing to pay $42 for a Opus X Fuente Fuente.

It really depends on your budget. If you find something you really want to try and can afford to do so then give it a shot. You might find that it is the best thing you have ever smoked. On the other hand, you might realize that while it was a good smoke there are a lot that are just as good for less money.

I just bought two BTL's for $18.95 each, MSRP is $13.00. As far as I know these don't come around very often and I really wanted to try one, but that is not something I would do every day.

If the cigar is way more than the MSRP you may want to post something in the Buy/Sell/Trade area and I'm pretty sure someone will help you out.

The bottom line is only you can be the one to make that decision.

Robby

I would say that some of them can be worth it. Of course your taste is the only one that counts. I think that as long as you do not judge the cigars by the price, then you should be okay. Just keep trying any that you can get your hands on. Whether they are $25 or $5, grab them.

Id like to hear about the one's that are worth it

Are their any?

THERE :laugh:

What's "worth it" totally depends on the individual and in the case of rare, aged Cuban cigars if you can appreciate them for what they are.

If you're new to cigars and someone handed you a Don Candido you probably wouldn't see a whole lot of difference between that and a Muniemaker so in that case the Don Candido is not "worth it" but to someone who can appreciate them they are well "worth it."

Sorry but your question is impossible to answer.

I'm sure some are and some aren't. It's really quite personal and based on many factors other than price alone.

I know one thing, the Padron 40th Maduro is definitely worth it to me. I just wish I could afford to smoke them more often!

Most I have paid so far is $22 and that was an impulse buy....

Like others have said, its personal choice and it depends on the money you have, like most everything in life. I would probably only pay over $25 for a really good aged cuban. A rare opus would be nice, but I can't see paying such a premium over the regular opus which are good enough for me.

I can't see paying twice MSRP for an Opus, Anejo, or Hemi, because they make them every year. These cigars are great smokes, and IMHO worth a little extra if you must pay it. Whats a dollar here and there to enjoy something you might not get your hands on for another year? Now, rarities on the other hand are a different case. I've never seen a "rare" opus in person, and if I did, I'm sure I would drop a few bills for a couple. I recently paid $35 a stick for a few PMN, because they are no longer available and I wanted them that bad. I've had about 10 PMM's, which I adored, and these naturals piqued my interest. That spend, to me, was "worth it."

I'm sure some are and some aren't. It's really quite personal and based on many factors other than price alone.

I know one thing, the Padron 40th Maduro is definitely worth it to me. I just wish I could afford to smoke them more often!
Funny that you mention the Padron 40th because IMO they aren't worth the premium because the blend is identical to a 1926 which can be found for less money. I keep a box of all sizes of the 1926s on hand (well, with the exception of the 35s) and grab whatever size I'm in the mood for at the time. If I want a short smoke, I grab a #6, for a slightly longer smoke, I'll grab a #2 or a #9. If I have lots of time then I go with a #1. To me, they all taste the same.

EXCELLENT POST!! I agree 100% with everything you stated! :thumbs: The Padron Millenniums are indeed a very nice smoke and you're right, they're worth dropping the $$ every now and then on a couple for the reasons you said.

Funny that you mention the Padron 40th because IMO they aren't worth the premium because the blend is identical to a 1926 which can be found for less money. I keep a box of all sizes of the 1926s on hand (well, with the exception of the 35s) and grab whatever size I'm in the mood for at the time. If I want a short smoke, I grab a #6, for a slightly longer smoke, I'll grab a #2 or a #9. If I have lots of time then I go with a #1. To me, they all taste the same.

The 40th just tastes a little different to me. I know they're the same blend (and knew before I bought my first), but for some reason that vitola stands out to me. I do really like the #6 (REALLY like the #6) and I keep a few of those on hand. I can only smoke the bigger vitolas on rare occasions, so maybe that's what makes the 40th stand out to me. Every one that I've smoked has been tied to a memorable event in my life. I think cigars are like that, the enjoyment of many are directly related to the accompaniment; be it drink, atmosphere, or company.

I know the 1926s are one of your favorites; they're one of mine as well. :)

Interesting discussion.

Most of the folks that have weighed in with their opinion have said basically...."I paid it and it was worth it to me". You can't argue with that that.

I remember reading in a thread recently that some folks had stood in line overnight (somewhere cold) to buy a Krispy Kreme donut. It's hard to believe that anybody would answer yes to "Would you spend the night outside on the sidewalk, in Wisconsin, in November, for a donut?"

I was originally thinking that the same folks that buy $40 cigars probably wouldn't be able to pass a blind taste test. It is interesting to think about. I've been paying attention to what I like and don't like...I know you could line up all my cigars, blind smoke test me and my "favorites" would not be at the high end of the price range.

Another good example is the Padron line. My wife and I have been sharing a box of '26 #35's. We've smoked probably 15 of the cigars so far. A few of them have been really excellent..rich, creamy, smooth...almost chocolatey...really worth the $10/stick price. But most of them have been ...well just "meh"...ok for a $4 stick, but very disappointing for a $10 cigar. A couple of them just tasted like crap.

We've paid $15 per single at the local B&M...then tried to convince ourselves how good they were...knowing the price has too much influence on what I think about the cigar.

Which brings us back to the donut story from above. It is hard to put a "price" on some stuff. You could spend the night freezing your buns off, smoking and joking with your friends, maybe sneaking a few nips from a flask being passed around, snacking, calling all your lame friends at 3:00 am and asking them why they are sleeping...generally having a blast. By the time, the donut store opens and you get inside where it is warm...smells like fresh donuts and coffee...I'm thinking that would probably be the best damn donut ever! Worth it? Hell, yeah!

Of course, lining up donuts from that store and others, wearing a blindfold and picking the "best" one...just loses something from the original experience. It just ain't the same. It really isn't about price, at least not in terms of dollars.

I'm thinking that the best answer to your question is "sometimes". Sometimes you just get that really good one...most of the times you don't. For me, I don't find a strong relationship between price and enjoyment. Often the less expensive cigars are easier to enjoy because you just don't have as much invested and the pressure to really enjoy the cigar isn't there. It is always better as a surprise, rather than being forced.

We all smoke cigars not made in the US. Some islands make better cigars than others. Some island cigars are harder to get than others. The whole experience of smoking island cigars can be quite intoxicating. But really, is the cigar any better? In most cases, no.

I wonder if I spent the day hanging with MRN...would I be able to appreciate the cigars we would smoke? I don't know, but it would fun to find out!

Some say it depends on your budget and amount of disposible income. Others say it depends on your preferences.

I would say that some of them can be worth it. Of course your taste is the only one that counts. I think that as long as you do not judge the cigars by the price, then you should be okay. Just keep trying any that you can get your hands on. Whether they are $25 or $5, grab them.

Well said.

All characteristics of a cigar come into play when attempting to judge value. How does the cigar appear? Does it have a pretty wrapper with minimal or no visible flaws? Does it appear to have been affixed to the cigar in a proper fashion? How is the draw after preparing it with cut or punch? Does it seem to have been well-rolled? How is the pre-light taste?

Although I feel that all characteristics of a cigar come into play in attempting to judge the worth of that cigar, ultimately it comes down to taste. As taste is subjective, I think it depends on how you assess the value of the taste of a cigar. And I believe that the assessment is directly connected to the price. This is a personal value unique to each smoker.

I do not believe that premium cigars are worth the prices that they sell for. If I am going to pay 2-4 times as much for a premium line cigar versus a standard line cigar of equivalent size from the same manufacturer, I believe that that premium should taste 2-4 tames better. But I find that it never does. Other cigar lovers may feel otherwise.

There are some cigars that I enjoy significantly more than others because they might use better tobacco, or they might have a wrapper that I particularly like. And I'll pay a little more for those cigars if I can find them at what I consider a reasonable price. Otherwise I'll stick to cigars that taste good to me, but are in the 1.50 to 3.00 dollar range. And I have found that there are several that fit into that category.

The bottom line is that each smoker should enjoy what they smoke, and smoke what they like, regardless of price. :)

I live in CA...there are no good sticks under $25.00....

Actualy, that's not true but the price gouging for premium sticks is pretty common. Now to the question at hand, I think if you want it and can afford it, then buy it. Life's to short to nit pick over a few dollars.

I think it's all about personal preference and what you can afford. I don't smoke a lot of cigars, but when I do, It's got to be something I will enjoy. I seem to be smoking more Padron 26 #35's and #6's. I smoked a Graycliff Chateau Gran Cru that I enjoyed very much, I don't know that I would pay $22 for it. The occasional Padron 40th is a nice treat for me, I do find it has a slightly different flavor as well. But again, I just don't think that I could afford to pay $25 a stick for it. I'm leery about trying anything new over $15. If I had unlimited funds? Sure, I'd try anything once.

Since I live in FL, I don't buy anything over MSRP. In other states when I've been traveling I always take into consideration the state taxes, but I buy cigars to smoke, not to collect.

Thought Id note that the Msrp for a couple of the 26's is around $20. That could easily equate to around $25 for Cal or Ny after taxes. Then the gouging adds more. Im sure the 40th's are over $30 in some spots even if they are the same blend as the 26's.

D

I would say it depends on your intentions. If you are a collector, of course there are cigars over 25 bucks that are worth it. Many Fuente followers would pay many many multiples of 25 bucks for a maduro Opus BBMF for instance, and it would for them be completely worth it. ANd there was a thread about Wade landing a set of the Don Carlos anniversary sticks the other day. I think folks are nuts but F/N will have no trouble selling those for that ridiculous price.

If you are a pure smoker, I would doubt that there are many $25 and up cigars that are truely worth it. But it depends on your income level and what "worth it" menas to you. Personally, I have smoked more than my share of those smokes...unfortunately...and I didn't smoke one for which I'd drop that much coin again. My taste buds don't recognize "leathery undertones of cinnimon and orange zest" anyway, so maybe for the refined palate there is a reason to spend that much money but I for one can't tell enough of a difference between a PAM Exclusivo and a PAM 40th torpedo to make me want to spend 2.5 times more on the torpedo.

This really is a "to each his own" issue.

For me the answer is no, there aren't any. But that is driven by the fact that I don't collect, I'm not rich, and there are a boatload of sticks under 6 bucks that are terrific, so I don;t feel the need to try to find the money for those cigars.

See, that leaves more for the rest of you guys. :laugh:

This really is a "to each his own" issue.

For me the answer is no, there aren't any. But that is driven by the fact that I don't collect, I'm not rich, and there are a boatload of sticks under 6 bucks that are terrific, so I don't feel the need to try to find the money for those cigars. ...

My feelings too.

But I would still feel the same way if I were rich and could afford to spend 20-30 bucks a pop on every cigar. A $25 cigar would not taste any better simply because I could afford it. The performance of my tastebuds can not be swayed by price.