• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Honey baked ham stores - never again!

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I had this $50 gift card I got a few years ago, so I figured I'd use it and buy a ham this year for Thanksgiving. I am NEVER going to that place again, especially the day before Thanksgiving. I even called early this morning to make a "reservation", so I figured it can't be that bad. For those who went to one of these places today, you know what I just experienced. Over an hour long wait, no parking, the place filled with over 100 people (I know there's a fire safety violation there), the line went out the door and wrapped around the building as I was leaving. People hacking and sneezing on each other. Someone must have called the fire dept because they had just arrived as I was leaving. Very unruly place....and I thought amusement parks were bad.

I'm glad to be home...........

That does suck, there is a cheese cake bakery near my house that make amazing cakes, so I figured I would stop there on my way home tonight to pick up a cheesecake for my sisters and the line was out the door and about 50 yards down the block. Needless to say I kept driving. They open at 9 am tomorrow, so I will get there for 830 and hopefully be the first customer.

I made the same mistake a few years ago on Christmas Eve. I haven't stepped foot in the place since.

The ham however was really good.

Trust me, if I wasn't already committed to this ham (already said I'd get one from there), I would have kept driving too. I thought about leaving and going to Costco, but it would have taken me 1 1/2 hrs to get there due to traffic.

That does suck, there is a cheese cake bakery near my house that make amazing cakes, so I figured I would stop there on my way home tonight to pick up a cheesecake for my sisters and the line was out the door and about 50 yards down the block. Needless to say I kept driving. They open at 9 am tomorrow, so I will get there for 830 and hopefully be the first customer.

Next time, just head about a mile down the road from Maxi's. Sapienza bakery. Incredible pastries. Grab the pastries, leave them in your car in the cold, then stop at the shop for a smoke. Blame it on the amount of people at the bakery. :laugh:

I mean no disrespect...and maybe it's because I'm just an old guy who has run the holiday drill many, many times...but geez Rod...did you really think it wouldn't be crazy the day before Thanksgiving?? Hams do keep since they're preserved by smoking... don't you think you would have been better off going there last week to avoid the crowds? :whistling:

Next time, just head about a mile down the road from Maxi's. Sapienza bakery. Incredible pastries. Grab the pastries, leave them in your car in the cold, then stop at the shop for a smoke. Blame it on the amount of people at the bakery. :laugh:

I am going to have to keep this in mind for next time, its brilliant :thumbs: :thumbs:

Went with the wife shopping, you would have thought they were giving the store away, you can't even drive. :0

Thats why I prefer to smoke my own hams. They tase better also :whistling: :sign: :sign: :sign:

Previous years if I would have to work on Turkey Day and didn't have any plans/invitations, I could always count on Chinese food places being open, sure it's not a full course meal but nothing like Sweet & Sour, or General Tso's Chicken on a holiday!

Nick

It was a last minute thing - had no other options.

It's COSTCO from now on. Had to use that gift card at honey baked that I've been hanging on to for 4 years.

Previous years if I would have to work on Turkey Day and didn't have any plans/invitations, I could always count on Chinese food places being open, sure it's not a full course meal but nothing like Sweet & Sour, or General Tso's Chicken on a holiday!

Nick

I vote for Chinese :love:

It's COSTCO from now on. Had to use that gift card at honey baked that I've been hanging on to for 4 years.

So the ham sucked also?

:whistling:

mac

ribs

edited to add: I'll make up for that awful HBH experience. Just let me know when you have your fork and appetite ready. (And by the way... going to any store the day before T-day is ridiculous and you should have known better. Costco wouldn't have been any better-you couldn't even get into the parking lot at the Costco near me).

No. 2 son works at Honeybaked Ham. He brought his Dear Old Dad a fat tasty ham. No waiting, no charge. I Love that boy.

Jim

You may wanna chalk this experience up to routine holiday crowding and reconsider the Costco alternative. FWIW, I went to Costco on Thanksgiving eve and my experience echoed yours. I pulled pie duty this year. I stood in line for nearly 1 1/2 hours to pick up pies and then spent over 1/2 an hour in line to pay for them. It was bedlam throughout the store. The pies, however, were fantastic - and dirt cheap. Much better and much cheaper than any of the local pie chains, in my experience. I only wish their variety was more substantial.