• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hope your weekend was better than mine

Ginseng

Banned
Our redneck neighbor's 10-year old boy was throwing rocks around the cul de sac that our driveway is connected to and the inevitable happened. :rolleyes: At least he told his parents before I had to go over there. The truly pathetic thing is that when the local PD came by to take a report, the boy's mom had the brass to say that while her boy was kicking and throwing rocks out there, it didn't necessarily mean that he's the one that did it, although it probably was. Freakin' weasels! Luckily, the lady cop had a 10 year old boy herself and told a story about her son that nicely, effectively said "bullshit!" And then, mom says that she googled windshields (even though this was factory tinted glass with defrost elements) and said that since they could find glass as cheap as $400 bucks, that's all they were going to pay. Gone are the days, apparently, when parents took unqualified responsibility for the actions of their children. No remorse, no sorry for putting you out, just "I don't think we ought to pay more than $400." Effin' asswipes of the world. :angry: Sometimes it's really hard to not to be disgusted with and disappointed in your fellow man.

WongsMinivan01.jpg

WongsMinivan02.jpg

Wilkey

PS. In the almost four years we've lived here, we've had to replace or repair four tires due to nails or screws. I wonder whose young delinquents might have had a hand in that? :angry:

Yikes, that sucks for sure. The same lack of responsibility that the parent demonstrated is the reason he was out there doing crap like that in the first place.

you should put the screws to them, they should replace it exactly as it was, no questions asked. On the principle of it, i wouldn't let them off the hook, i'd take it to civil claims if necessary, or maybe through their insurance?

Sheesh, some people. My parents would've made me clean up the mess and then soaked my hands in lemon juice. Sorry to hear about this, it doesn't sound like they are very neighborly at all.

you should put the screws to them, they should replace it exactly as it was, no questions asked. On the principle of it, i wouldn't let them off the hook, i'd take it to civil claims if necessary, or maybe through their insurance?

I agree completely with this. I feel that parents let their kids off the hook too easy these days, because they themselves are soft, and they are making their kids way too soft.

Ouch!

Personal responsibility has gone the way of the dodo, I'm afraid. It never ceases to amaze me. :(

Making them replace the factory (and expensive) glass is the only option. Perhaps if they're dinged for several hundred dollars they'll keep a better eye on little Johnny.

Of course, it could just make the kid take it out on you with progressively worse damage and stealthier methods.

fuggin' people! :angry:

They're mostly harmless folks but a bit lax in their parenting in my opinion. When I was a boy about this age, I threw a rock and broke a car window. Damned sure my parents made me pay for it and they didn't dictate the limits of the restitution either. Talked with my insurance company and it looks like we'll make a claim on comp and they'll pay my deductible, $100. That $100 is cheap for the trouble we've had to go through.

Wilkey

Sorry to hear about that Wilkey, that stinks!!

You might be able to work it through their home owners insurance if they have any? I know in Washington, if the vehicle is parked in your driveway, auto insurance wont cover it. At least it didn't when my vehicle was broken into a couple years back. YMMV on this though depending on your insurance company.

Damn, that sucks.
As a parent, you need to step up and show your kids that there are consequences to their actions.

They're mostly harmless folks but a bit lax in their parenting in my opinion. When I was a boy about this age, I threw a rock and broke a car window. Damned sure my parents made me pay for it and they didn't dictate the limits of the restitution either. Talked with my insurance company and it looks like we'll make a claim on comp and they'll pay my deductible, $100. That $100 is cheap for the trouble we've had to go through.

Wilkey

Wilkey,
Replace it with factory issued glass and give them the receipt, period. One should expect and receive respect for another's property..
This shouldn't cost you one cent, nor should you file a claim.

Where's the lesson in this?

How times have changed. Had this happen to me when I was that age I'd be doing my paper route for nothing until it was paid off..

Yup, I broke a window with a baseball when I was about 10. And I mowed lawns and other odd jobs all summer until I paid it off. Unbelievable parents would try and let their kids off the hook like that.

"The same lack of responsibility that the parent demonstrated is the reason he was out there doing crap like that in the first place." Exactly the same thing I was thinking Wyatt. I can't stand when parents let there kids run loose in stores with no regards towards there children and actions.

Sorry to hear about all this Wilkey. If it was me, I would not let the kid and parents off so easily. Hope it all works out.

I hear you, FP. Maybe I'm not doing all I could do by not pushing the point. We've got to pick our battles and my priority is to get the mommy bus back in action, without prejudice to my insurance (comp is non-prejudicial), and have factory glass put back in.

As long as the above are satisfied, I'm going to have to live with their thinking they got off cheap and easy. I don't reckon this one instance would be enough to affect their mindset.

The hilarious thing is that after I talked to the mom and dad yesterday, I was walking down their driveway back home and I hear the mom start screaming, dropping the F-bomb in front of both kids and hubby saying, "Well that's just F-in great! Now we look like the biggest F-ing rednecks! F!" :laugh: What was it that Socrates said? "Know thyself?

Wilkey

Duck tape and heavy gauge clear plastic film! Or a black hefty bag if you want tint! Quit with all the drama... ;)

That sucks, Wilkey. The clean up is going to be the worst thing. I had my back windshield smashed about a year and a half ago. When they replaced it they cleaned. Then I took it to a gas station with a vacuum and cleaned. And still, to this day, I randomly find pieces scattered throughout the car. Mostly down below the hatch in the back there, where the spare is hidden.

They definitely did get off easy here.

"Well that's just F-in great! Now we look like the biggest F-ing rednecks! F!"

Wilkey

That's funny! My mom said when I was a little shaver I was angry about something and, when she asked what, I said "I get blamed for everything I do".

I know you wanted to get the mess taken care of ASAP but I would have told her you would accept her "low bid" if the boy came over and cleaned up the mess.......would have taught them all a lesson!

or maybe through their insurance?

Believe it or not, we have had claims where kids have thrown rocks and busted windshields, and the liability clause on the homeowners paid to replace the window. And the parents won't have to pay a deductible. ;)

Talked with my insurance company and
it looks like we'll make a claim on comp and they'll pay my deductible,
$100. That $100 is cheap for the trouble we've had to go through.

Sounds like a smart move, IMHO. Besides, your insurance company will go after them since you got a police report. :whistling: :laugh:

Well that sucks! If it were my child, I would make him earn every penny of it back. I would also make him apologize about it. Sorry to hear, that Mom was such a weasel about it. Talk about teaching your children to be responsible about their actions.

Take it wherever you want to get it repaired professionally. A good shop will do the clean up for you and should make things all better. Present the neighbor the bill. Give them 30 days to pay it or take their sorry unapologetic asses to small claims court. It'd be a slam dunk from your standpoint and given the police report, etc. you will likely prevail.

I'm all for giving my fellow man the opportunity to step up to the plate and make things right, but damn them, if they don't I have no problem using a hammer.

Rest assured that if the tables were turned, they'd do no less.

Sorry for the hassle, Wilkey-san. Best of luck in getting this resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Regards - B.B.S.

Back