• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoping an experienced smoker can help

Ya the temp display says 62 but I have it set at 69. The temp is accurate tho. I just dont know why its reading 7 degrees off from what it's set at

So, you have the temp adjustment set at 69, but the temp reading says 62, and 62 is correct? The unit does not provide heat, so the actual temp could simply be based on the ambient environment. The temp setting merely tells the unit when to turn on the cooling (when the temp inside has reached that level), so if the actual temp is below that, the setting is kind of irrelevant.

At least that's my understanding (could easily be wrong, it happened once).

What is the ambient temp of the space in which the unit is kept?

Correct. Ohhhh okay, now that you say it like that it makes sense. But I have it in my bedroom and the ac is usually on so usually between 76-79

Correct. Ohhhh okay, now that you say it like that it makes sense. But I have it in my bedroom and the ac is usually on so usually between 76-79

Yeah I don't know why that happens. Mine does the same thing. It's in my Mancave (basement room surrounded by 12 inch concrete on all four sides), the room temp can be 70 and the temp inside the Audew might be 64 or something. Maybe because it's contained, insulated and very little light gets in - it gets up to a temp where the cooler turns on, cools down quickly, and holds that for a good long while. Just a guess. As long as the temps stay within a safe range I don't know if it matters. 62 seems a little low.

I took one of those stick-on heat pads like they sell for aquariums and put it on the bottom of the thing (outside). Didn't seem to have any impact at all. I was toying with putting it on the inside floor, but a little concerned that even on the lowest setting it might tend to dry out the cigars in the lower drawer.

I'm working on building some experimental TEC units. Theoretically, from what I have learned so far, it should be possible to have both a cooling and heating unit, with fans and Peltier plates. I'm not sure how the controls will work, particularly for the heating. I'll post some info at some point.

NewAir actually had a model they sold about a year ago that offered both heating and cooling. However I think it has since been discontinued.

Not sure if this will help however there is a drain plug at the bottom of these units (all brands have them) but for some reason you’ll never see any mention of it in their instruction manual. Allot of people will either open or close that plug if they have issues with fluctuating humidity but maybe it could impact the temperature as well?

My Audew has been rock solid with holding temps since I purchased it. I typically keep it set around 68-69 degrees. However with the Audew if it loses power and comes back on it resets the temp back to 62 degrees. Doesn’t sound like this is what’s happening with yours if the set temp is staying at 67. But worth mentioning just Incase.

ever since I read that BG over @CO stated he re-hydrates his Bovedas, I have been doing just that, and I have had great success re-hydrating them.

I haven't purchased a single NEW Boveda in over three years.

Just goes to show an old dog can learn a new trick. woof woof ...............
How to you re-hydrate boveda packs?

It's really easy: just soak the boveda packs in some distilled water for 72 hours. Make sure all the bevedas are completely covered with the distilled water. I put them in a tupperware type container when soaking. after the 72 hours take them out, place them on some paper towels, allow them to dry about 30 minutes on each side, get a new set of paper towels (the first set will be wet) and allow them to dry on each side again, for about 30 minutes a side, leave them out long enough for them to become fully 'dry' and once fully dry, then place them in a ziplock bag, and then put that ziplock inside a second ziplock. Just make sure they are fully dry to the touch before you bag them up.
I have been doing this with the same boveda packs for a couple/three years, and they seem like they keep the cigars humidified just fine.
I have had only one boveda that did not rehydrate properly (it still had a small hard piece/chunk in it) and I tossed that one.

Personally, I wouldn't dip them in water. What I do is I have a tupperware with an o-ring lid to store them in. I put them in the container, then put a little 2" square sponge moist with the distilled water / colloidal Ag solution I use in my cabinet for humidification, in on a piece of plastic so that it doesn't wet the packs. Sponge stays in, packs fatten right up and are ready to go. Works fantastically.

One man's opinion......

Personally, I wouldn't dip them in water. What I do is I have a tupperware with an o-ring lid to store them in. I put them in the container, then put a little 2" square sponge moist with the distilled water / colloidal Ag solution I use in my cabinet for humidification, in on a piece of plastic so that it doesn't wet the packs. Sponge stays in, packs fatten right up and are ready to go. Works fantastically.

One man's opinion......
Same here, I would never soak them in water... I use the poor man's method... a gallon zip bag, soak a paper towel (wring it out just a bit to keep it from dripping) in distilled water/silver solution, place them both in the bag, without touching each other, then after a few days.... abracadabra...

Same here, I would never soak them in water... I use the poor man's method... a gallon zip bag, soak a paper towel (wring it out just a bit to keep it from dripping) in distilled water/silver solution, place them both in the bag, without touching each other, then after a few days.... abracadabra...
Same, though I've never used the silver.

One man's opinion......
I do the exact same thing. Don’t dip them in water.

What proportion do you dilute the silver to?

What proportion do you dilute the silver to?
A wise man once told me;

I use nano-silver mixed with my distilled water, and this eliminates any possibility of contracting mold, and keeps the spores from spreading if there is mold introduced to the environment. It is odorless and tasteless, as well as non-toxic...

This will work, 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water (20 ppm Ag). I use it with my aristocrats and my set it and forget it systems, as well as my beads. If I see any mold on recently purchased cigars, I used the same solution to gently wipe down the cigar, it kills any trace of mold...

http://www.amazon.com/Nano-Silver-Colloidal-Ounces-Market/dp/B00DQIEDWY

A wise man once told me;

I use nano-silver mixed with my distilled water, and this eliminates any possibility of contracting mold, and keeps the spores from spreading if there is mold introduced to the environment. It is odorless and tasteless, as well as non-toxic...

This will work, 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water (20 ppm Ag). I use it with my aristocrats and my set it and forget it systems, as well as my beads. If I see any mold on recently purchased cigars, I used the same solution to gently wipe down the cigar, it kills any trace of mold...

http://www.amazon.com/Nano-Silver-Colloidal-Ounces-Market/dp/B00DQIEDWY
Nice, it was out of stock last time I checked. Thanks

Any 20ppm colloidal silver will work. There are lots of choices.

Edited to add - it's currently in stock at Amazon.

Question (if already answered all over the place I apologize): for those who use Bovedas, do you use colloidal silver, and if so, how?

Question (if already answered all over the place I apologize): for those who use Bovedas, do you use colloidal silver, and if so, how?
Collided Silver is mixed into your distilled water which you could use to rehydrate your boveda packs... is that what you’re asking?

Collided Silver is mixed into your distilled water which you could use to rehydrate your boveda packs... is that what you’re asking?

Yeah, I guess. I have some on order and have just started rehydrating Bovedas. So yeah, ok, if that is done that's great.

I guess if you're using new Bovedas, there isn't really a good way to use the CS?

Yeah, I guess. I have some on order and have just started rehydrating Bovedas. So yeah, ok, if that is done that's great.

I guess if you're using new Bovedas, there isn't really a good way to use the CS?
Someone else might correct me but I assume if your wanting to use CS in humidor with packs you could wipe down humidor with CS similar to seasoning...