• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoping an experienced smoker can help

Someone else might correct me but I assume if your wanting to use CS in humidor with packs you could wipe down humidor with CS similar to seasoning...
Alway dilute the CS.. 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water. Use Tom’s (@BlindedByScience ) method to rehydrate the bovida packs. If you want to wipe down your humidor, use the diluted solution.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm not a fan of wiping wood humidors down with any liquid. Again, a small new synthetic sponge (cheap at the grocery store) is your friend. Take a small saucer, put a 2-3" square of sponge in it, and soak it down with your CS / distilled water mix and close the lid. And don't open the door / lid for a day or two....;-) If it's a big cabinet, use two or three. With a SensorPush or other wireless hygrometer in there, you don't need to open the lid to check on it. You'll be surprised how fast the humidity comes up.

Again, as they say, one man's opinion......

Personally, I'm not a fan of wiping wood humidors down with any liquid. Again, a small new synthetic sponge (cheap at the grocery store) is your friend. Take a small saucer, put a 2-3" square of sponge in it, and soak it down with your CS / distilled water mix and close the lid. And don't open the door / lid for a day or two....;-) If it's a big cabinet, use two or three. With a SensorPush or other wireless hygrometer in there, you don't need to open the lid to check on it. You'll be surprised how fast the humidity comes up.

This seems like a good approach. Thanks.

Agreed, wiping it down seems to just be asking for it to warp.

A wise man once told me;

I use nano-silver mixed with my distilled water, and this eliminates any possibility of contracting mold, and keeps the spores from spreading if there is mold introduced to the environment. It is odorless and tasteless, as well as non-toxic...

This will work, 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water (20 ppm Ag). I use it with my aristocrats and my set it and forget it systems, as well as my beads. If I see any mold on recently purchased cigars, I used the same solution to gently wipe down the cigar, it kills any trace of mold...

http://www.amazon.com/Nano-Silver-Colloidal-Ounces-Market/dp/B00DQIEDWY
Thanks for the tip about CS! I'd never considered using it to reduce the chances of mold!

I didn't read through all the post so forgive me if I'm repeating....

I'm a huge fan of coolerdors, 120 or 150 quart coolers, humidified with beads. Store loose cigars in wooden boxes inside the cooler. The wooden boxes tend to absorb moisture keeping the environment more stable than without them. Keep track of the humidity with an inexpensive digital hygrometer you can buy on eBay for about five bucks.

Beating dead horses. So I got a Govve hydrometer instead of the cheap stuff I was using off Amazon. But its telling me that my desktop humidors are at like 55%. I have 72% boveda in. What can I do to bring the rh up in desktop? Also my Audew is a bit of to, I have 69% in there and the right amount of them but its sitting at 62%

With regards to the desktops, are they just a basic cedar humidor? I had a couple and could never get the RH high enough here in Arizona. I think it was partially the dry air we have and the fact the we’re inexpensive humidors that had a terrible deal. So I trashed them and switched to just sealed Tupperware containers.

With the Audew you might try adding a small cup of distilled water in there for a couple of days just to see if the cedar absorbs more moisture. It may be robbing the humidity from the boveda packs.

Monitor it though, don’t let the humidity get too high. If it gets to like 72+ pull the water out and monitor. If it drops again put it back in.

With regards to the desktops, are they just a basic cedar humidor? I had a couple and could never get the RH high enough here in Arizona. I think it was partially the dry air we have and the fact the we’re inexpensive humidors that had a terrible deal. So I trashed them and switched to just sealed Tupperware containers.

With the Audew you might try adding a small cup of distilled water in there for a couple of days just to see if the cedar absorbs more moisture. It may be robbing the humidity from the boveda packs.
Yeah basic cedar I have 3, one normal, and 2 glass top *one @CigarStone gave me. And I got another Tupperware like the one you sent me, I love it. But I'll try that water in the Audew. And all the sticks o have in the desktops are perfectly fine, if had no problems with em, the rh is just a bit off

Mannnnn wtf, both my govves are reading 56% after a day in a salt bag test. How are 4 different kinds of hydrometers all way off in the salt test.

Last edited:
Mannnnn wtf, both my govves are reading 56% after a day in a salt bag test. How are 4 different kinds of hydrometers all way off in the salt test.
Water to salt ratio has an affect. Make sure that whatever container you’re using is air tight perhaps multiple zip-loc bags inside of a lock n lock container. Do you have a boveda pack? You could try that too