• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to taste...

Rusty-Shackleford

Reaction score
What is the the best way to taste a cigar when smoking it. I think I may be doing ok, but am generally missing ALOT of the flavor tones that are used to describe taste. I can detect major things as of yet, but am not sure if I am approaching it right. Thanks. I did try to search btw

Taste is very subjective. It differs from people to people. Look at the blind review threads in the cigar review section to see what I mean. There is no right way or wrong way to do it. I associate a taste with the first thing that pops in my head when I taste it. Try to come to your own conclusions.

Thats a tough one. I can't relate to those who can discern all the chocolate, earth, leather, etc. I can't. About all I can relate in a review is that "was GOOD" or "meh". Like what you smoke, and smoke what you like. The good news for me is that I can smoke and enjoy cigars that those with more taste buds cannot.

I typically notice more flavors when I blow out the end of an puff through the nose.

I think it is a matter of time and practice. I'm starting to get better but I still can't distinguish many of the different tastes that I've seen described. I like to read reviews of the cigar I'm smoking, while I'm smoking it to see if I can find the flavors. For me, I like to take a big draw and slowly blow the smoke out. Sometimes I'll lick my lips afterword to see if any of the flavors show up there. I'm getting better, but I think it will just take more time, and lots more cigars. Oh well, if all my homework were like this I'd be a happy man!

One other quick note, having an idea of the flavor profile of a cigar (weather through experience or reading a review) can give you an idea of what to pair with it. For example, when I pair a Sam Adams Cream Stout with a Monte #2, I can taste the chocolate much more because it is in the beer too. Sometimes having something else with the essence you're looking to taste can help you find it in the cigar.

Whatever, just my two cents.

i liken it to sipping a burst of smoke, if that makes sense

I can't taste most anything other than I like it or I didn't.

If you want to develop your tastes though I'd suggest not reading reviews on anything before hand (well, other than "good" or "bad" type ones) just writing down your initial impressions, otherwise you may find you're more inclined to taste things that you may not have if you hadn't read the review. Certainly it happens with me after I smoke one, read a review, then smoke another of that type, all of a sudden I can describe its flavours inch by inch and with a flavour repertoire that would rival Martha Stewart.

Rusty...at the risk of telling you something you already know...

If we're just talking about the mechanics of tasting, like some folks have already noted, the nose plays a big part. Our tongues distinguish between four basic tastes: sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. The schnoz, on the other hand, can distinguish hundreds or thousands of aromas. The brain takes input from both to create what we percieve as flavor.

So, get the smoke into your mouth and roll it around. Also get it through your nose somehow at some point. Some guys like to take a little smoke out of their nose as they blow it out. Me, I like to take just a little in through my nostrils as I'm puffing. Do both if it suits you.

Rural Guy makes a valid suggestion to note your smoke before you read the review. It's a way to get to know your own tongue and hone your ability to pick out flavors. But you can also learn a thing or two by smoking the cigar with the review in hand for reference. Think of it as a guided tour of the cigar. Some folks taste things in cigars, wine, scotch, or beer that they can't readily describe. They know something's going on around the ol' buds but they just can't marry it to a word. But if someone suggests a word for that flavor, it can suddenly click and you'll have that "Oh yeah!" moment.

Now, for me, all this is part of the enjoyment of smoking. But my number one herf bud (yeah, I'm talkin' about you, Swissy) says he doesn't taste all those esoteric flavors in his cigars. He just likes what he likes. I certainly can't fault his taste in cigars and I also can't say I enjoy mine any more than he enjoys his. So, even if you never learn to distinguish 'leather' from 'loam' or what 'skunky' means, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. You can still enjoy a damned good cigar.

I seem to need oxygen mixed in with my smoke to get a good profile. What I mean is if I exhale through my nose I don't get much, but if I exhale slowly through my mouth and and the same time gently inhale through my nose I get much more from a cigar. This is why I don't like smoking outdoors if it's windy, the smoke gets blown away to quickly. I will also do quite a bit of cupping to capture the exhaled smoke. The only thing I can figure is that I'm getting more air mixed in and it's easier for me to taste.

Keith

Sometimes I'll lick my lips afterword to see if any of the flavors show up there.

Very good idea! I find when I'm tasting my cigars I focus a little too much on the smoke. I'll try licking my lips to see what else I pick up.

I seem to need oxygen mixed in with my smoke to get a good profile. What I mean is if I exhale through my nose I don't get much, but if I exhale slowly through my mouth and and the same time gently inhale through my nose I get much more from a cigar. This is why I don't like smoking outdoors if it's windy, the smoke gets blown away to quickly. I will also do quite a bit of cupping to capture the exhaled smoke. The only thing I can figure is that I'm getting more air mixed in and it's easier for me to taste.

Keith

You make a good point about having oxygen mixed with the smoke. I find tasting wine is quite similar. Getting a little air in with the liquid really makes some flavours pop out and I'm sure smoke is no different.

Definitely try to get the nose involved more. I'm really more of a coffee nut with an interest in cigars. When I taste coffee I either slurp it with a sort of inhale type of action, or if I'm drinking a nice espresso I tend to notice certain flavors if I swallow and exhale through my nose. It's just something you learn over time through more experience.

Great thread. There are a lot of answers here to questions I wanted to ask but didn't have the nerve. Good stuff, keep it coming.