• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Problem

bfreebern said:
This is getting about as fun as teaching my mom how to use email, SHEESH.
[snapback]267934[/snapback]​
LOL!!!! or teaching dad how to burn a cd:thumbs:

bfreebern said:
I think you need to f'ing relax.  It's cigars for gods sake, not major surgery.

Leave the beads and your humidor ALONE for a week, then go back and check.  The smell should be replaced w/ that of cigars and tobacco.

I hope that you are right about the smell being replaced with that of the cigars and tobacco within a week. This might be funny to some people in here, but not to me. It would be very hard for me to relax if the faint leftover plastic odor that's still lingering inside my humidor absorbs and penetrates my cigars. Especially when I took all of my cigars out of the humidor to air it out really good of the odor before putting the cigars and brand new beads inside it again.

Bill Clinton said:
bfreebern said:
I think you need to f'ing relax.  It's cigars for gods sake, not major surgery.

Leave the beads and your humidor ALONE for a week, then go back and check.  The smell should be replaced w/ that of cigars and tobacco.

I hope that you are right about the smell being replaced with that of the cigars and tobacco within a week. This might be funny to some people in here, but not to me. It would be very hard for me to relax if the faint leftover plastic odor that's still lingering inside my humidor absorbs and penetrates my cigars. Especially when I took all of my cigars out of the humidor to air it out really good of the odor before putting the cigars and brand new beads inside it again.
[snapback]268087[/snapback]​

I'm going to make this real simple, stop obsesing out loud. You seem like a nice enough guy but you have been carrying on for a week and change over the same thing.

Take the advice you've been given and try to make it work. If in a week you haven't resolved your problems throw that piece of sh*t humidor away and get yourself a cooler.

In the mean time type less, read more and smoke more. Get your significant other to take care of your stress and you'll be fine after some time. So please don't post on this subject for a few days.

Thank you end of my rant on this.

BC have a nice New Year.

Like I said, the humidity level inside my humidor is now back to normal at 69%-73%. This is a good thing.
The only other thing that I have noticed that I am a little bit worried about is that there's still a faint plastic odor inside the humidor from the time when I had the humi tubes with the red end caps sitting inside my humidor for 1 1/2 months. I am thinking of getting a few small pieces of cedar and to it put the cedar inside the humidor to try to get the faint plastic odor to disappear, but I am unsure whether or not the odor will entirely go away with this solution if the odor has already absorbed and embedded itself inside the walls of the humidor's wood. This is what I am unsure about.

I'm with the other guys - you're a little out of control here.

First off, a little plastic odor, IMHO, doesn't mean squat unless your gars taste like plastic. Lots of us store our prized cigars in plastic coolers, with lots more surface area than the two little red end caps you seem panicked about, with no bad effects. I have two of the satanic little red caps from Viper in my 100 ct. desktop and they have no smell I can discern.

Second, a couple of % either way won't make or break your smokes. With the wild swings in RH caused by the very cold / not so cold temps around here and with our non-humidified forced air furnace running, my desktop has been running between 58-65%. Guess what? The gars smoke great. My $14.95 coleman cooler has been running at 68-70% rock solid so there's a hint as well....

Lastly, have you calibrated your Hygrometer and "know" what's really going on? This is sound advice you should have followed first and up front. My $00.02 is that you really don't know jack about the real RH until you've followed this step.

My advice - smoke a nice cigar, have a scotch, and chill..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

tone-ny said:
Bill Clinton said:
bfreebern said:
I think you need to f'ing relax. It's cigars for gods sake, not major surgery.

Leave the beads and your humidor ALONE for a week, then go back and check. The smell should be replaced w/ that of cigars and tobacco.

[snapback]268087[/snapback]​

I'm going to make this real simple, stop obsesing out loud. You seem like a nice enough guy but you have been carrying on for a week and change over the same thing.

Take the advice you've been given and try to make it work. If in a week you haven't resolved your problems throw that piece of sh*t humidor away and get yourself a cooler.

In the mean time type less, read more and smoke more. Get your significant other to take care of your stress and you'll be fine after some time. So please don't post on this subject for a few days.

Thank you end of my rant on this.

BC have a nice New Year.
[snapback]268091[/snapback]​

You've accomplished something if you can piss off tone-ny a few days before his birthday! He seems like one of the nicest guys on this board and yet he's lost it in this thread.

Bill, I mentioned to you in a PM a few months ago that you needed to calm down a little bit, especially when you started calling out Viper saying he wasn't replying to your emails etc. Take a chill pill my man.

Please understand that I've calmed down about this. I am no longer worrying about the humidor. I put the effort into fixing the problem with the humidity and so far everything is okay. I just smoked another Padron 1964 from this same humidor this evening and it tasted okay. Tommorrow I will smoke a different brand cigar that is sitting inside the same humidor to see whether or not it is good. I am going to take it one day at a time.

You are all right about one thing. I tend to worry too much. Believe me when I tell you this. I am trying to learn to relax and enjoy my cigars more than I do worrying about them.

Tell you what, Bill. You send me 5 of your best cigars out of that humidor and I will test them for plastic odor taste. I will compare them to the ones in my humidor that contains no plastic odor. Sound good?

SMOKE! said:
Tell you what, Bill. You send me 5 of your best cigars out of that humidor and I will test them for plastic odor taste. I will compare them to the ones in my humidor that contains no plastic odor. Sound good?
[snapback]268418[/snapback]​

I never thought of this. That's a good idea.

Bill Clinton said:
SMOKE! said:
Tell you what, Bill.  You send me 5 of your best cigars out of that humidor and I will test them for plastic odor taste.  I will compare them to the ones in my humidor that contains no plastic odor.  Sound good?

[snapback]268677[/snapback]​

To get a broader sample, you should send some to me.

JK

JimK said:
Bill Clinton said:
SMOKE! said:
Tell you what, Bill.  You send me 5 of your best cigars out of that humidor and I will test them for plastic odor taste.  I will compare them to the ones in my humidor that contains no plastic odor.  Sound good?

[snapback]268677[/snapback]​

To get a broader sample, you should send some to me.

JK
[snapback]268700[/snapback]​

I don't mind sending 1 or 2 cigars to 1 or 2 people.

Don't send 1 or 2 to two people; save postage and just send four to me. :laugh:

Doc.

UPDATE ON MY HUMIDOR'S PROGRESS:

I just want to share this with everyone so you can give me some feedback on this.

I just re-checked my humidor and the humidity level was at 65%. I also checked out the 1 1/2 lbs of 70% beads that I have inside the 2 drawstring bags in my humidor and I noticed that the a good portion of ONLY the exterior layer of beads that you can see thru the drawstring bags were white. And about 3/4 of the rest of the beads that were set deeper inside the bag looked clear, but some were also white. So, I decided to add some more distilled water to the beads. I think what really happened was that the cedar wood inside the humidor absorbed some of the water from the beads the first time around, when I placed the beads inside the humidor when I received the new batch of beads from Viper. I think that this is the reason why some of the beads were white in color. The seal around the humidor for the most part still looks good and I also still have the weight of books on top of the humidor lid. I can hear a very light "whoosh" sound when I open and close the humidor lid, so I think that this is an indication that the seal around the lid is tight.

I believe that if the seal around the lid was still not good that the humidity level would have gone down even more to the 57%-58% mark like it did before when the seal wasn't holding the humidity.

Anyways, I added distilled water to the beads and to the humistats again just to be on the safe side. Even though the humidity level was at 65%, I think that if I didn't add water to the beads and to the humistats that the humidity level might drop down to 60% within the next few days. And I really want to keep the humidity level as close to 70% as I can. That's why I added more distilled water to the beads and to the humistats.
I am going to re-check the humidity level inside my humidor after a day or two to see what the humidity level will be at again.

If the seal has already been repaired like it has with the weather stripping and if the humidity level has gone down from 73% to 65% in only about 1 week's time, do you think this (the drop in humidity level) was caused from the dryness of the wood inside of the humidor? I can tell you one thing. When I fixed the seal with the weather stripping, I immediately put in the 1 1/2 lbs of beads inside the humidor. One day after I placed the beads in my humidor, I checked the humidity level and it was at 73%. On the 2nd day, I re-checked the humidity level again and it was at 72%. And on the 3rd day, when I rechecked it again, it was at exactly 70-71%. Now 3 days more have gone by (currently on the 6th day) and the humidity level was at exactly 65%. So, I am wondering whether or not it's a normal thing for the humidity level to drop from 73% to 65% in only 6 days if the seal around the lid has been properly repaired with the weather stripping and with the weight that I applied on top of the lid?
I am not sure about this, but, in my honest opinion, I would think that if the seal was still bad, that the humidity level inside the humidor would have dropped down to 57%-58% within the 1st or 2nd day rather than going down from 73% to 65% in 6 days. Do you think that the inside wood of the humidor was a little bit dry and that it absorbed the water from some of the beads and from the humistats causing the humidity level to drop to 65% from 73% within only 6 days?
What do you think?

Bill... I think it's time to quit cigars... will be less stressful for you.

Jim

Bill Clinton said:
I don't see anything funny about it.
[snapback]269808[/snapback]​

:laugh: :laugh: exactly my point!

Relax! My stressed out BOTL!