• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I have like 57 questions, but can only articulate maybe 3

JoeGibs

To make sure I'm not wrecking my precious purchases, what are your recommendations on how to store/prepare cigars for smoking? I've noticed some mentions of dry boxing before smoking, not sure what that is, or its purpose? Typically when I receive a package, I put them into a tupperware with a humidity pack to get them up to par before I put them into my humidor so they don't pull all the moisture from the rest of the sticks in the humidor. Now what is this nonsense of pulling it back out and putting it into a dry box before smoking.... to de-humidify it??

I understand not putting flavored cigars in the same storage space as non-flavored. As far as 10 different cigars sharing a space, is there any concern about them bleeding their flavors into each other if they're in the same container, even with the wrapper still on? Would there be any benefit to having little wood spacers to keep all the different cigars separated so they're not touching? Would it be more of a concern if they didn't have the plastic wrappers and them touching?

Is there any negative effect from ordering cigars in the winter time in Minnesota in regards to them freezing while being delivered? What about summer time, with them potentially getting too warm for them little bastard tobacco beetle eggs to start hatching?

See, three questions. As soon as I head to bed, i'm sure seven more will come to mind.

OH! Am I the only one who gifts as many cigars as they smoke? I swear half my stock goes to friends

A1: https://www.cigarpass.com/community/threads/dry-boxing.77676/

A2: Don't sweat it. As long as you aren't putting infused/flavored/Gurkhas in with your regular sticks, you are fine.

A3: Cigars are getting shipped from all over at all times of year. I'd be more worried about your parcel getting punted across the floor or squished beneath someone's in-transit olympic weight set. Just make sure you acclimate the cigars to your own storage before you smoke them (we all know that one has to be burned ROTT, so I'll look the other way for that one...). You really don't have to worry about beetles too much with NCs from the top factories. From what I understand, Habanos S.A. marcas all freeze their tobacco now, but I could be wrong. In short, beetles aren't a major concern the way they used to be. If you have a commercial deep freezer, you can chill them, yourself, but I believe the magic number is -40C, which is much colder than the fridge/freezer in your kitchen. If you do happen to have access to such a unit, there's information here on the board how to go about doing that correctly and safely for the cigars -- just search it out.

Hope that brings you down to 54 questions.

1. Keep in mind that your cigars, at some point, probably spent weeks in the hold of a ship where the conditions were far more dramatic than in your home.
  2. If you buy Gurkhas, who knows how long they spent in the gas station?
  3. It used to be discussed here adnauseum, as did everything, how cigars could "marry" or 'meld' characteristics. I don't know if that's possible, plausible, or likely ..... but, unless they spend a looooooong time touching each other, I don't think you have to worry.
  4. I think it was concluded that, if it comes with cello, leave it in cello, if it doesn't, leave it naked.
  5. It used to be common practice to put ROTT cigars in the freezer for a while to kill any possible beetles.
To test the marriage concept you should take two sticks of diametrically opposed character, let's say a Macanudo and a Padron 4000, smoke one of each such cigars today, take copious notes, use those notes to band the two together, and let them sit for ten years. Once the ten years is up, smoke the two cigars and see if there is any discernible difference. If there is, it could be the fact that these cigars now have ten years of age on them, it could be that they both now taste paper and ink, it could be that the Padron now tastes like the Macanudo and the Macanudo now tastes like the Padron, if which case you will have your answer.

So in other words i'm over thinking things. Keep them in a humidor and forget about it, and try to dry box if I'm planning on smoking in the foreseeable future.

thanks guys :)

So in other words i'm over thinking things. Keep them in a humidor and forget about it, and try to dry box if I'm planning on smoking in the foreseeable future.

You got it!
Just smoke them, age them, store them long term 65-69% (my sweet spot is 68%), and enjoy!
The dry boxing thing really does work if you have the ability to plan ahead. They smoke way better, with fewer re-lights required. If your plans don’t work out, they can always go back to long term storage.

The "experts" here say that if you don't smoke the 62% sticks within 6-8 days, put them back into 70%. I have a a couple Lock n Lock boxes, one with 62% boveda packs and one with 70% Boveda packs, both stay in my humidor unless I am taking the 62% for a weekend, etc. If I don't smoke the things I put in the 62% box, they go into the 70% box, rather than back into their original box, so I know that they are the ones I had in the 62% box for a while.

When Jeff and I get together (^^^ That guy ^^^), I take an unusual travel humidor that has zero humidification. The cigars in their boxes quickly drop to about 60 - 59% and smoke really well after a day, or so. Thousands of dollars in cigars kept like this for five or six days. I don’t sweat it at all. People really do overthink their cigar care I believe.

When Jeff and I get together (^^^ That guy ^^^), I take an unusual travel humidor that has zero humidification. The cigars in their boxes quickly drop to about 60 - 59% and smoke really well after a day, or so. Thousands of dollars in cigars kept like this for five or six days. I don’t sweat it at all. People really do overthink their cigar care I believe.
Yuck! You mean I've been smoking dry dog rockets?🤮

Assuming they've been neglected along the journey from the factory to your humidor, how long do they need to sit in a humidor at proper RH to be properly humidified? So then storing them at a proper RH is just to prolong their life and allow them to age? If they're better to smoke at 60-62% then why can't they be stored long term at that % instead of the 68-70%?

Over time, 60 to 62% will dry out the precious oils in the cigar which gives them the flavor.

Dropping them down to 62% for a few days helps them to burn better without drying them out completely.

Last edited:
Bump for more questions.....

Tell me about temperature. Living in minnesota, we don't get super hot summers here, but at what temperature do I need to worry about beetles hatching, and is the spanish cedar and nano silver in the water any deterrent from them hatching?

What's your secrets for preventing the cigar sickies? I've had it happen a few times, mostly when I've already been drinking... heavily... ...So I know I need to not rip a fatty when I'm already drunk. Or is it because I'm a nicotine rookie that this is happening or does it happen with you seasoned veterans too?

Is there anyone from Austin Tx on here? I'm visiting next weekend, curious if there's any cigar shops that are better than the others that I can swing into while I'm there to grab a snack.

In the first post on the newbie sampler trade post, I noticed it says there's a two trade limit. Having already completed a deal with Niko, am I allowed to make another deal with the next on the list? (Mr Drunk Fish) My tax returns came in and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:
What's your secrets for preventing the cigar sickies
A good meal beforehand helps, staying well hydrated also can lessen the effects. However, when it hits you anyway, a little something sweet will counteract some of that. I've used a spoonful of honey or bite from a chocolate bar with good results. As you smoke more, your tolerance will increase too.

A good meal beforehand helps, staying well hydrated also can lessen the effects. However, when it hits you anyway, a little something sweet will counteract some of that. I've used a spoonful of honey or bite from a chocolate bar with good results. As you smoke more, your tolerance will increase too.
A can of regular Coke (not diet or Coke Zero or something) helps my tum tum when the Nicotine hits. Or make yourself an Old Fashon with extra sugar/simple syrup/maple syrup. Helps me because I get it sometimes without drinking really. Especially with Tatuaje’s. They seem to have a higher nicotine content

Last edited:
Nicotine hits me pretty hard (though the upside down/inside out thing is rarer these days). As said, drink a sugary beverage along with your smoke. It's all about the blood sugar.

Hello again... bumping for more rookie questions.

Am I doomed for the rest of my cigar smoking life to look up every cigar I try to see what the damage would be if I were to order a box? All these samplers I've received from forum members has me finding a new favorite every time I try a new one, and before I'm even half way through I'm poking around on sites to see what a box costs. Then I get worried that I might sooner than I though possible fill up my gun case humidor with boxes, and have to come back here and give you guys the "you were right" statement.

My old man has been a menthol smoker for 50 years. I had been giving him shit about it and asked if I were to get him some little petite cigarillos of some sort if he'd smoke them instead. He just shook his shoulders and said maybe. Maybe my phone was listening to me, but I randomly came across THESE- LINK and thought shit, if these are more along the lines of real tobacco like cigars (slightly healthier than Kool's) and taste like menthol, maybe he'd give them a chance. So the question is, are they a little better than cigarettes, or are they the same shit?

Do you guys use a tupperware to dry box, or an actual wood box? I've been trying to use a tupperware with a 62% bovida, but i've noticed every time I add a new stick to start drying out, the humidity jumps back up and has me wondering if putting a wet stick in there is re-humidifying the ones that have been in there a while.

If the cigarpass community were to vote and put together a NC top 5 maduro, and a top 5 natural sampler pack of reasonably priced cigars (excluding $20+) what do you think that list would look like?

Well, to answer your first question: Yes. Yes you are. Life is over as you knew it. So is your bank account...

Can't help with the second question. Sorry.

Wooden box would obviously be best, but Tupperware is fine, too. How much of a jump are we talking? If it's only a point or so, I wouldn't even sweat it. There may be some residual absorption by the cigars already in there, but the Boveda should be doing most of the work. How long does it take to regulate again?

I'll have to put a think on the Top 5 lists...

Alot of place online have samplers / 5 packs. My suggestion is to try 2-3 of the same cigar before you buy a box of said cigar. Just say goodbye to you bank account.

2cnd question I am not really sure

Dry box I use the 1st wood hunidor I bought.

NC Maduro
Padron 1964/1926
Work of art maduro
LFD double ligero
Black works Killer Bee
The Wise Man
DBL Extra Viejo
Tabernacle

NC Natural
Blindmans bluff
AF 8-5-8
Padron 1964/1926
Charter Oak

I don't smoke a whole lotbof natural. And the maduro I know I listed 7 you asked for 5 but those are my staples.

Hello again... bumping for more rookie questions.

Am I doomed for the rest of my cigar smoking life to look up every cigar I try to see what the damage would be if I were to order a box? All these samplers I've received from forum members has me finding a new favorite every time I try a new one, and before I'm even half way through I'm poking around on sites to see what a box costs. Then I get worried that I might sooner than I though possible fill up my gun case humidor with boxes, and have to come back here and give you guys the "you were right" statement.

My old man has been a menthol smoker for 50 years. I had been giving him shit about it and asked if I were to get him some little petite cigarillos of some sort if he'd smoke them instead. He just shook his shoulders and said maybe. Maybe my phone was listening to me, but I randomly came across THESE- LINK and thought shit, if these are more along the lines of real tobacco like cigars (slightly healthier than Kool's) and taste like menthol, maybe he'd give them a chance. So the question is, are they a little better than cigarettes, or are they the same shit?

Do you guys use a tupperware to dry box, or an actual wood box? I've been trying to use a tupperware with a 62% bovida, but i've noticed every time I add a new stick to start drying out, the humidity jumps back up and has me wondering if putting a wet stick in there is re-humidifying the ones that have been in there a while.

If the cigarpass community were to vote and put together a NC top 5 maduro, and a top 5 natural sampler pack of reasonably priced cigars (excluding $20+) what do you think that list would look like?
A lot of guys on here do box splits or you can buy 5ers.. That would be a good way to get the box price, but only get half a box or 5. Sorry to tell you, you will fill that humidor. I have a humidor that when I bought it I said to myself "This thing is going to forever be 30% full. Well its full.... Not in a cute way either, I have to restack whole shelves every time I buy something now...

My wife use to smoke cigarettes and she has switched to these. https://www.thehumidor.com/oliva-neos-feelings-red-vanilla-10/512070. She loves them. Don't buy from them, message @Keystone_Raider if you want to buy a few tins. I'd send you one of my wife's tins but, if I was divorced I couldn't keep buying the amount of cigars I currently do.

I use a humidor I bought in an Olivia sampler. Paid $30 for it and got $25 worth of cigars and the humidor.....

It would look like 2 baggies of 5 cigars each. More than likely only would have darker sticks in it than the other.. In all seriousness, every guy would have a different setup of 5 because of their own tastes.