• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I think I finally get it about Cubans

personal User

I have been smoking CC's for close to a year now and they represent about 10% of my holdings. While I enjoyed them they did not blow me out of the water. Now I see they are more about subtleties and complexities.

I haven't smoked much at all in the last four weeks due to a sinus infection ( thanks to all who made kind comments in that thread) and now coming back and smoking after that layoff I believe I now "get it" on Cubans.

They are milder than much of what I have been smoking but now I realize there is far more complexity and variety of flavors in cubans than I have been able to experience in other cigars.

While I don't think I will quit smoking cigars from other regions the exposure to cubans has enhanced my enjoyment of all cigars and I foresee a major increase of cubans in the wineadors.

I cannot make this post without special thanks to Billl (Cigsid) for being a major factor in widening my horizons. :thumbs:

A truly big "thank you" and hat tip to bill :)

Outstanding! Nothing like broadening our horizons and enjoyments of and in Life!

Bill is somebody I'll never forget. Damn mailboxes are expensive!

.... I'm not just B.B.S...... I'm another Bill and Kris convert. ..;-)

I've come back around a bit. I went through the forbidden fruit fascination and then seemed like I only wanted Nica cigars along with a smattering of others for the longest time. Now I just truly appreciate them for what they are, and being able to get ahold of something forbidden holds no meaning to me.
I now smoke what my mood dictates, but nothing is off limits.

jfields said:
I've come back around a bit. I went through the forbidden fruit fascination and then seemed like I only wanted Nica cigars along with a smattering of others for the longest time. Now I just truly appreciate them for what they are, and being able to get ahold of something forbidden holds no meaning to me.
I now smoke what my mood dictates, but nothing is off limits.

Well said, John.  I was in a quandary, as the spicy and potent Nicaraguan sticks I loved for so long were burning me out a bit.  Started smoking some from the forbidden island, and I found myself interested again (you guys know who you are... :laugh:  ).  Flavors are much more subtle, but equally if not more complex.  The complexity is what draws and keeps my interest.  Gary (IronPeddler) and I had quite a long discussion on the phone about changing tastes....and I think he was spot on.  Went on a bit of a box buying jag...and the humidor is once again wall to wall so I'd better smoke what I have now.... :p   I'm probably almost 50 / 50 in the cabinet now...and really enjoying the variety.  There are still smokes from other parts of the world I like a lot, but I am definitely enjoying the variety more and more.

Ken, I can relate to your experience. I was also sick for about a month and didn't smoke at all. When I started smoking again, I really fell in love with the complexity and smoothness of the CC's. I continue to smoke NC's but I find myself going for the CC's more often than not. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I love them, and most especially, the smaller ring gauges. For my tastes, this is where CCs really shine and are irresistable. I have seriously nubbed more CC's than any other origin.  Pre Ashton Pepins, Pepin rolled Padillas, and Tatuajes were up there with the CCs and may have passed them if things remained the same. Padron 64 and 26 a close second, with Don Carlos, VSG and Hemingway coming in at 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Haven't had many Cubans to speak of, but I'll agree with monks statement that I'm finding myself selecting smaller ring gauges with a max of about 52....

OP, good story....

There is a reason that CC's have been a world standard for so long.

Tom...I've always kept a good amount of varying sticks in my humi to keep me from burning out.  I always have a fairly large rotation available just so I stay intrigued.

Just my opinion.

When I started smoking, I smoked whatever I could get my hands on. I'll be honest at first part of the obsession with the forbidden friut was just that. It was forbidden. Time went on and began to really appreciate the smoothness the cigar could develop. Also just being a lighter cigar has also been enjoyable for me. My wineadore went from all NC to about 60/40 in favor of forbidden friut.

Capt J said:
There is a reason that CC's have been a world standard for so long.
...and they almost became a non-standard, due to quality issues in 2000-ish time frame.  They turned off a LOT of buyers due to horrible quality control.

broblues said:
Tom...I've always kept a good amount of varying sticks in my humi to keep me from burning out.  I always have a fairly large rotation available just so I stay intrigued.

Just my opinion.
Agreed.  Point about CC's is that I wandered away from them due to quality issues, gravitated towards the powerhouse Nicaraguan smokes, but have come full circle in my taste preferences.  CC's are also worth buying again, thanks to big changes in the quality control.  Still smoke a big Nicaraguan now and then, but not every time (as I did for years).

I've now come to the point in my cigar smoking where I much prefer CCs over NCs.  In the beginning when I started into cigars I wanted to smoke everything...or at least sample as much as I could.  I loved smoking CCs and NCs equally with no preference other than my mood and maybe the meal I had consumed prior.  These days I find myself barely touching my NCs...not even my aged Opus, Anejos or my beloved Padrons.  I also no longer am on the chase to try every new cigar that I come across...that eagerness has passed.  I'm content to smoke the cigars I know and love, and will try new cigars that strike my interest...more often than not though, they are CCs.  Who knows...maybe my palette just got worn out and needed a change.  Time will tell.  

You didn't speak to your experience with well aged cuban cigars. A well cared for classic with 10 - 20 years of age is incredible. 

I choose to steer clear of the pepper/nicotine bombs nowadays.

likescarsz28 said:
You didn't speak to your experience with well aged cuban cigars. A well cared for classic with 10 - 20 years of age is incredible. 

I choose to steer clear of the pepper/nicotine bombs nowadays.

There's a whole 'nother thread, right there.... :p   Much discussion about the recent changes that have gone on with CC's.  Many are good right out of the box and don't require the long aging process they used to.  Several reasons for this, none the least of which is Habanos knew they were up against it and had to make changes and improvements.  The lack of quality control is what turned me off to them some time back, but they're back and smoking very well.  Big question is - with the changes, will they go "flat' after ten or twenty years?  Much discussion on that subject.....  And, honestly, I've yet to smoke a cigar that old that did anything for me.  I believe that almost all cigars really do go 'flat' after a long period of time, even with proper storage.  As they say, one mans opinion....

I shared a 20 year old Partagas Lusi with a friend on Tuesday night of this week and it was awesome! The bigger vilotas seem to appreciate the rest time.

BlindedByScience said:

.... Much discussion about the recent changes that have gone on with CC's. Many are good right out of the box and don't require the long aging process they used to..... Big question is - with the changes, will they go "flat' after ten or twenty years?  Much discussion on that subject....

While I have no definitive answer or comment on this, I have read some posts to the effect that newer cigars (beginning with the changes where they are good right out of the box) start losing instead of gaining benefits somewhere around the 8 year mark.
BlindedByScience said:
...  And, honestly, I've yet to smoke a cigar that old that did anything for me.  I believe that almost all cigars really do go 'flat' after a long period of time, even with proper storage.  As they say, one mans opinion....

Only thing I've ever smoked that had some age on it was a Coronado Hammer produced in 09. Delicious.

Personally, I am moving forward with a mind set thinking that I can figure that anything which will improve should do so for 6 or 7 years.

My problems have been more of letting something lay that long :laugh:

likescarsz28 said:
I shared a 20 year old Partagas Lusi with a friend on Tuesday night of this week and it was awesome! The bigger vilotas seem to appreciate the rest time.

My point was that the cigars made 20 years ago were quite a bit different than the ones that are made today.

I've smoked big cigars, small cigars, skinny cigars, fat cigars, with significant age on them.  Some quite a bit older than 20 years.  Sadly, most have been like smoking air.....