• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I transfer next year

Well Emo, as you know I've spent over 20 years in the military. I was stationed in Hawaii (Schofield Barracks, Ohau) from 83' to 85'. I cried the day I left and you get use to the cost of living especially with Cola..... :D :thumbs: :p

Hands down, Hawaii would be my number one pick with maybe Atlanta as my second choice. :)

Don't know how much stock you can put into a lifelong Va residents words, but, you have to take Hawaii. The place 90% of the world wants to visit and you have the chance to live there! Can't believe you would think of anywhere else. :thumbs:

emodx said:
Atlanta
Cerritos
Charleston
Chalotte
El Paso
Fresno
Honolulu
Houston
Memphis
Nashville
Oxnard
Phoenix-
Riverside
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego
What...NO NY???

For me, I'd take Phoenix. Straight down Highway 10 to LA, Highway 8 to SD, mountains are close, Mexico is close, dry heat, good growth. Fits my requirements especaily if it is only for 4-6 years.

Fast4Dr said:
emodx said:
Atlanta
Cerritos
Charleston
Chalotte
El Paso
Fresno
Honolulu
Houston
Memphis
Nashville
Oxnard
Phoenix-
Riverside
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego
What...NO NY???
Hell no, too damn cold.

Wascal said:
Don't know how much stock you can put into a lifelong Va residents words, but, you have to take Hawaii. The place 90% of the world wants to visit and you have the chance to live there! Can't believe you would think of anywhere else. :thumbs:
I have lived in VA, so I will take what you say with 2 grains of salt. Actually, it isn't real high on my list because I have lived on an island. At least here I can live by car when I choose too. It also means everyone has to come visit me because I can't take my family with me to see anyone else. Too cost prohibitive. So living on the island has some major obstacles. Not that it wouldn't be worth it though

Emo

From Charlotte, you can drive 3 hours to the mountains, 4 hours to the beach, 1 hour to the big lake, 30 mins to SC, 3.5 hours (I think) to Atlanta, 2.5 hours to VA.

Charlotte is pretty much the banking capital of the world (Bank of America and Wachovia are HQ'd here along with many other regioal banks). We also have more fortune 500 companies HQ'd here than any other city. In other words there is a ton of $$ floating around here - yest cost of living remains comparitively low :thumbs:.

For tourism, we have a Paramount themepark, Carolina Panthers, new NBA Bobcats, AAA Baseball, Areana Football, Minor league hockey. One of the biggest drams to Charlotte is shopping. Check out southpark.com . We also have about 20 colleges here in CLT.

Cheers,
Dixie

Since I've been living in Sacramento since 1991, I thought I'd give my $0.02.
The best thing about Sacramento is it's central location. It's only an hour and a half from San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, the Gold Country along Highway 49, etc. Reno is only a two-hour drive. The summers are hell but the weather in the winter almost makes up for it, especially since I can't stand snow.
Housing prices are bad, but not nearly as bad as S.F. or San Diego.

My personal bias is probably clear: I'd choose Honolulu, hands down, no further questions. That said, being this far removed from the mainland has its pluses and minuses. The biggest downfall is being so far away from everything else (good) the U.S. has to offer. Can't just hop in a car, or take a quick plane trip, for some quick get-away. In speaking with Americans who relocate here, that's what I hear voiced as the toughest thing to adapt to. But like I said, being this far away is also paradise and, despite the minuses, I'd never live anywhere else (and never have)- except maybe Tahiti or my own isle in Fiji.

Of the other choices - San Diego is a nice town. So Cal, nice weather, nice amenities, good state to reside in, etc. Pluse it has so many nice areas to live and hang out nearby (of course, excluding T-town). Next, AVB is right, Phoenix is a booming area. A little land-locked for my tastes, but a great market right now. Should be able to get in there now, get a house, set up shop, and get out with a nice profit in the next few years. I just had a friend move to Phoenix for a job he got. Despite being from Maui, he loves it there.

I'd vote for either Phoenix or Charlotte. I've only been to Charlotte once, but I was impressed by what a clean city it was. Very nice feel, and I hear alot of people rave about it. Atlanta, too. Most everyone I've ever met that ever lived in Atlanta wanted to move back to Atlanta.

I live in Phoenix(Scottsdale) and moved here because we are lucky enough to be able to live almost wherever we want. This is a HUGE area, with many different feels. Wonderful weather, but July and August get a tad warm. We love it here. Can't beat year-round golf. :p

Some wonderful cities on the list. Good luck! :)

emodx,

I grew up in Riverside, CA and live just east of it now in Moreno Valley, CA. Riverside is a nice place. Ethnically diverse with an obvious growth of the Hispanic population (75 miles from the border). Economically it is on an upswing. It has a nice mix of blue collar and white collar employment opportunities. Riverside is moderate to conservative, but with plenty of hippie liberals to keep it colorful.

The city of Riverside has had a huge campaign in place for 5 years now trying to draw entrpenurial type businesses, and the County of Riverside has been basically blowing any company with more than 200 employees that inquire about benefits, breaks, and incentives. Lots of rail access and trucking hubs for them to use. Passenger air is close by at Ontario Airport (20 miles) and private air (jet,prop, and helo) is in town (Riverside Municipal Airport). Cargo flights into March Air Reserve Base (Moreno Valley-5 miles East) and San Bernardino Airport (10 miles-North) are averaging about 25 per week each.

Homes range from pre-1920's Victorians to 1950's 'square' 1 storys to post 1980's Spanish style ranches. 90% of all new home floorplans are 4 BR 3 BA 2 storys. With the price of dirt around here, if you want something liveable it is 2 story. Lots and lots of Urban Sprawl to deal with (traffic, retail strip malls, industrial zones, and trending over-population. To the west is Orange County and Los Angeles County where the average home jumps to $450+. East is where I live and is keeping pace with Riverside home prices at about $50-$75K less.

The schools are pretty good. The city itself has two school districts. Riverside Unified has 5 HS's and the other has 3 (not including continuation or alternative settings). Lots and lots of elementary and middle schools. Riverside Community College is right in the middle of town and has two auxilarry campuses in Norco (West) and Moreno Valley (East). UCR (University of California, Riverside) is on the north end of town and has a thriving college/younger adult scene around it.

Lots of shopping, retail, boutique shops and small businesses make up the bulk of Riverside's economic base. It has a Metro Link Station (Mass transit rail servicing Orange, Los Angeles, and San Bernardino Counties) and a massive city bus system (But, I wouldn't get on one without my trusty friend - Mr. Glock 23 and his compadries magazine #2 & #3 ??? I keep waiting for the day I can sling my civilian M4.......I'm sure the idiots around town would REALLY keep there distance then :p )

Crime is commensurate with an area where the masses are rising in the socio-economic classes - fairly high. With more and more two income families and less and less supervision of teens, they find trouble to get into. Most property crimes are break-ins and yuppie rides like convertables, high end Euros and SUVs are targets of choice for GTA. Narcotics are hard to expunge from the city, but readily found. Gang activity (in certain parts of town) is slowly becoming a major concern. With LA so close, a lot of the big city problems over flow into Riverside (45 miles).

Overall Riverside is a very nice place. It has its issues like everywhere else, but it is an above average place to live in my opinion. Here is the city's website:

Riverside, CA

But, if you want a no-**** opinion on the whole list........go to Hawai'i if you are looking at this move as a 10 year stop. But, if you are looking to buy and profit from your 10 years.......Sacramento, Phoenix, Charlotte, Memphis, and Nashville seem like the places to go to invest in a decent home and be able to sell and cash-in 10 years later.

I hope whatever you decide it makes you and your wife happy. And, if you choose Riverside, we can get together nad pillage each other's humis on a regular basis.

M. Gipson :thumbs:

Take San Antonio over Houston my dearest friend. The pollution and humidity will kill you in HOU and it stinks most of the year like refineries, or car tires, your choice of stink....SAT is on the other hand, beautifull, south of Hill Country, surrounded by georgeous lakes, and rivers, not to mention no humidity like HOU, and close enough to get to the Beach, while passing thru the stench of HOU with your air conditioner on.....Mind you am a native Texan, and dont want to diss my lovely home state but HOU is not where I would go....El Paso is desert like so might be good for wifey who likes PHX, and still not too far from great beaches in the Valley south.....good luck and enjoy where-ever you end up....FMF

If it were me, Honolulu. Especially since I have kids.

PHOENIX

I'm a native and this is the best place on earth! Four major sports franchises, three hours from the beaches of Rocky Point, Mexico...then head two hours north and go snow skiing (Did that one spring break). Five to six hours from LA or San Diego.

It is very hot here in July and August, but if you come from high humidity, it's nice to go outside, even when it's only 110F outside, but not break out in tidlesweat.

I'm biased, but next to an exotic local like Hon, you just can't beat the ol AZ.

:D

My wife is really leaning to Phoenix. Something about energy and healing. I am leaning to Hono or Charleston because I can transfer from recruiting to the ship. And after the ship, to the shore unit. So going to Hono or Chaleston would be a homestead for me like Key West. I am considering extending on the ship for a year to see if I can get my old land job here in Key West after that year is done.
I really appreciate the time you guys are putting into this thread. It does make picking my course in life a lot easier.

Emo

Houston is great to visit. To live there...Expect very high numbers of children with asthma and other lung problems,differnt stench in the air each day.., as Bill Cosby said back in 70's still applys. You can build a 100,000 house and someone will put up a tepee or topless bar next to it (no zoning). But the Woodlands are like 40 miles away and great. Let us know what you decide Emo. ;)

Emo,

Hono is the "pretty chick" of your choices and we all seem to want to live there...but...I would put Atlanta, Charleston, and Nashville as the cream of the crop. Naturally, because the south is better than anywhere else. Atlanta would offer a huge variety of activity. Atlanta is full of history and has great character. The mountains are an hour or two, there are world famous fisheries within an hour or less. The cost of living is ahead of the curve. The actual City of Atlanta has lots of problems as does everything else run by democrats. Outside the perimeter, which is where everything really happens, is much nicer and more hospitable. Atlanta has 3 professional sports teams and a minor league basketball team, the Hawks. The metro Atlanta area would be the only sensible choice IMHO.

Nashville is a great town. It isn't just a bunch of hicks picking banjoes. It is a really cool city with lots of history. Never lived in Nash but visited several times.

Charleston is another wonderful southern city that is full of history and flavor. It is great coastal city. Home to some very famous places..the "slave" market that is still open (don't sell slaves anymore) and of course all the waterfront.

All three of the cities I mentioned have large numbers of tourist every year. Would depnd on your wife's specific needs as to which is a better fit. I would go with Atlanta, JMHO!

emodx said:
Wascal said:
I have lived in VA, so I will take what you say with 2 grains of salt. Actually, it isn't real high on my list because I have lived on an island. At least here I can live by car when I choose too. It also means everyone has to come visit me because I can't take my family with me to see anyone else. Too cost prohibitive. So living on the island has some major obstacles. Not that it wouldn't be worth it though

Emo
Without a doubt living so far from the mainland has to be taken into account. Especiallly if you have a large familly.
There's just us two and I put in overtime just to maintain the "travel fund" :D

wam79 said:
emodx said:
Wascal said:

Emo
Without a doubt living so far from the mainland has to be taken into account. Especiallly if you have a large familly.
There's just us two and I put in overtime just to maintain the "travel fund" :D
My overtime fund is $250 a month when I am underway. I would have to be at sea for 1 year to be able to afford to take my family off the island. LOL

Emo