• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If in Salt Lake City...

ggiese

I was told about a cigar store near downtown Salt Lake City. I just had to make the trip to see what they had...

And then - HOLY CRAP!!!! Ok... I've seen price gouging before... ala Casa Fuente in Las Vegas - but, this place takes the cake...

Here's the website: Havana Brothers, Salt Lake City

Without getting into a lengthy discussion - the reason I said "Holy Crap" was because they were selling Fuente Anejo 46's for $50 . No, that's not a misprint - that is $50.00!!!

I asked the guy why he was charging $50.00 for the Anejo. His response was it was a very hard to find cigar, and they were not making a lot of money on them. He said, "It's just like a Corvette - you know the dealerships don't make much money on them compared to what they're worth"... I say - BS!!!

To those of you coming to Salt Lake City - I say you bring your own. There are some TinderBox locations in the malls in the area, but the selection is thin. And if they're charging $50 for an Anejo - I say, "I'll pass!!!" It's just a damn shame I invested the time and effort to drive downtown to seek the place out...

Could be their tobacco taxes are really high, or that is just the place that costs an arm and a leg. I think it is a bit drastic to say to avoid the whole state.

K

kro77 said:
Could be their tobacco taxes are really high, or that is just the place that costs an arm and a leg. I think it is a bit drastic to say to avoid the whole state.

K
[snapback]229463[/snapback]​

I don't think one store constitutes a whole state, but I've never been there so I don't know how big Utah really is :p

Could be that they're not an authorized dealer thus free to charge whatever they want. Thats like the Habana House here in Austin. They always have Hemingway Maduros, Opus of all sizes... just be prepared to pay between $50 and $100 per stick.

ggiese said:
Without getting into a lengthy discussion - the reason I said "Holy Crap" was because they were selling Fuente Anejo 46's for $50 . No, that's not a misprint - that is $50.00!!!
[snapback]229458[/snapback]​

heh. Well, it's certainly possible that they are not an authorized Fuente dealer, or they are a Fuente dealer that does not get Añejos, so they buy them retail and mark 'em up appropriately. Or they could just be scumbags. :)

Wow, talk about price gouging! But, I wonder what kind of sales volume that they actually have for these highly inflated sticks at $50 a pop? Maybe their sales volume is not really all that fantastic, but when they do make a sale, they make a super killing of a profit. Yes, prices like that are absolutely absurd! Regards, knightlaird

kro77 said:

K
[snapback]229463[/snapback]​

Last time I checked, Salt Lake City is not a state, it's a city. :laugh:

Oh, they're an authorized Fuente dealer, all right... :angry2: e-mail sent... :whistling:

The guy told me he thought Utah had a 30% or so tobacco tax. The not so sought after cigars seemed pretty reasonable to me, but the sought after cigars were all overpriced. Another example (although not as drastic) - PAM '64's were in the $20-25 range.

I'm not willing to condemn the entire state, but certainly this dealer needs to be passed on...

We have a rule about Utah: Never go inside any building except the airport unless you're going to sleep. It's a beautiful state with some of the nicest parks I've ever seen, but it's a very strange place.

Utah is beautiful....would be nicer if everyone in the church did not treat non-members of the church like pond scum. There is a great microbrewery in Salt Lake called Squatters, also has a fabulous resturant. My mother has a cabin in southernish (sp) Utah and I go up there all the time, and ever time I come back with a horror story about "how we screwed the heathens from vegas"

try to get a decent drink anywhere in Utah...aint gonna happen...

Shoulda emailed me. You were only a few blocks away from the oldest tobacco shop in the state, whose prices are really quite fair considering how few cigar smokers there are around here. Havana Bros. is awful!! :angry2:

As to the rest of you....ya haveta live here for awhile before you can appreciate what a nice place this is....if you ignore the annual follies called the legislative session.....and not all Mormons are bigots....just a lot of 'em.

And you can get a decent drink; just ask all the folks who came to the Olympics. :D

Sorry, SLC is a city you caught me, but the 30% state tax is BS, since MA has the same tax rate for cigars, and I just bought some Opus Belicosa and Super Belis for 9 and 12 dollars respectivly. I would guess they are just price gauging.

K

As Bob says, Havana Brothers is an unfortunate joke. I used to patronize them for some cheap smokes when I first started out. Then I found CP ;)

No they are just scumbags. Three weeks ago I got a box (20) of sharks at my local shop for msrp. $147.80.

Even if those jerkoffs bought the box on line they are still screwing people.

Matty_Vegas said:
Utah is beautiful....would be nicer if everyone in the church did not treat non-members of the church like pond scum. There is a great microbrewery in Salt Lake called Squatters, also has a fabulous resturant. My mother has a cabin in southernish (sp) Utah and I go up there all the time, and ever time I come back with a horror story about "how we screwed the heathens from vegas"

[snapback]229882[/snapback]​

Uhhh - nah... Wasatch Brewery - Polygamy Porter... One of the BEST Porter's I've ever had... ;)

I don't care what the cigar is, there comes a point when it's not worth it no matter how good it is.

ggiese said:
Matty_Vegas said:
Utah is beautiful....would be nicer if everyone in the church did not treat non-members of the church like pond scum.  There is a great microbrewery in Salt Lake called Squatters, also has a fabulous resturant.  My mother has a cabin in southernish (sp) Utah and I go up there all the time, and ever time I come back with a horror story about "how we screwed the heathens from vegas"

[snapback]229882[/snapback]​

Uhhh - nah... Wasatch Brewery - Polygamy Porter... One of the BEST Porter's I've ever had... ;)
[snapback]230629[/snapback]​

they serve Wasatch brews at Squatters...my favourite is St Provo Girl

moki said:
ggiese said:
Without getting into a lengthy discussion - the reason I said "Holy Crap" was because they were selling Fuente Anejo 46's for $50 .  No, that's not a misprint - that is $50.00!!!
[snapback]229458[/snapback]​

heh. Well, it's certainly possible that they are not an authorized Fuente dealer, or they are a Fuente dealer that does not get Añejos, so they buy them retail and mark 'em up appropriately. Or they could just be scumbags. :)
[snapback]229496[/snapback]​

I'll go with Scumbag.... ;)