• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illyrian Cigars

Monti was nice enough to reach out. Like I stated prior, I would give a breakdown after smoking a 2nd cigar after acclimation. When I pulled the 2nd one out this past Friday, the Accurite hygro read both 67% RH and 67°F. For a reminder photo shortly after light:

20231208_191842.jpg

Prelight impression: I didn't measure, seems in the Churchill area. The aromatics were a delight. Sweet with light spice and rich earthy undertones. The sweetness of the cold draw gave me gingerbread and ceylon cinnamon, and spiciness from the wrapper that gave my lips a little tingle.

Solid construction, average veins, 4 or 5 light pinches from shoulder to foot were all consistent... not squishy, not hard. Not the fanciest bands ever, which I normally could care less about, but at the price point, I expect everything to be of the highest caliber. The ink and flag images, especially Old Glory, were a bit fuzzy.

Both bands gave zero issues when it came to removal.. that's a BIG pet peeve of mine. If I have a great experience with a cigar and smoke to the band, to just have a wrapper tear due to a sloppily applied band.. that's an instant point or two deduction. If it's blatant and consistent on 2 or more cigars, I write emails.. just ask Alan Rubin.

Back to the cigar, I always open cut with my Cuban Crafter's Perfect Cutter.. tried and true cutter for over 15 years. Cut was easy, taking about a dime worth off the cap, roasted with a triple jet containing Xikar brand fuel.. all uneventful. First puff was a flavor bomb. Often, the prelight aromas aren't always indicative of what you'll actually taste.. especially at first.

This was different. Got graham cracker, not the cheap stuff in the cookie aisle.. fresh-baked graham cracker. Their website says the wrapper is Ecuadorian.. I have nothing to doubt that and it's a fine example. Few puffs in, medium profile so far.. good smoke output. I didn't get any of the draw issues on either sample that Ed experienced.

I've talked before about various tobaccos I'm fond of and have bought for rolling my own sticks. Cuban-seed Criollo 98 has been a favorite leaf for a longtime. The Illyrian site says the binder is D.R. San Vicente, a great choice and is an offshoot "hybrid" from piloto seed. They could have went either way for the binder, but the SV just works. A good read on tobacco typology:

Davidoff throws piloto in a lot of their core, and when you see the copycats, they often throw in inferior-grown piloto to try and mimic the classic Davidoff profile. It seemed, initially, that Illyrian was trying to go the same route. Thankfully, while being Dominican-made with many of the same attributes, they've done enough to make it their own. That's due to the interesting mix and choices for the filler (more on that later).

I'm a little more than a third in, 25 minutes have passed. I had a buddy over and we were smoking in my walk-in. At this point, his LFD is starting to taint my experience.. I open the door about 6 inches and within a few minutes, most of the smoke clears. He stays closer to the door, I move a few feet toward the back. His smoke is pulled right outside, mine hangs slightly over me.

Starting the second third, I have zero complaints. Burn isn't razor-sharp, but damn near. Smoke output is solid and hanging, I'm smoking it at the right humidity level. I'm getting fig with the graham cracker fading, and smooth cashew, my mouth and back of teeth have a nice slick feel (ever had cashew butter?). My tongue keeps sliding along my teeth and I have a good tingle on my lips.

I'm a little more than halfway through, about 45 minutes have passed, and coming up to the first of two bands:

20231208_201426.jpg

First band is removed perfectly.. just a light flick of my thumbnail. Good. Burn is still great, just like you see above. Ash holds easily an inch at a time.. I don't play the long-ash game. I typically give it an inch.. then I look to see if a light tap on top of cigar will drop it, or do I need to "break" it off using the ashtray. Good construction usually means the latter, which was my experience each time.

Going into the last third, their site lists the fillers as Criollo 98, Pennsylvania, Corojo, San Andres. There's no specifics other than that. Like I said earlier, it's an interesting mix. And it's where this Dominican-made stick starts twisting and turning. I'll maybe puff once a minute at my quickest. I'm going longer between puffs because of the conversation between my buddy and me.

There was probably a 5 minute unexpected pause when my sister brought my 4-year old niece out. They are both living with me temporarily and my niece hadn't seen me that day and was going to bed. We had a few minutes together and off they went. Went back in to humi thinking the cigar probably went out.. picked it up, and had a puff instantly on first draw.. terrific.

The last third was just a surprise with every subsequent puff. All the usual notes you'd expect from such a diverse mix of tobacco were there. I'm not sure if the "best for last" was intentional of the blend, or just a coincidence, but I will say I'm looking forward to trying another one this weekend to see. At this juncture, I have about an inch and a half left, the medium profile has picked up to full, but not overpowering at all.

A lot of lengthy sticks like this guy can get potent toward the end just from the nicotine and tar buildup. This was no exception. I'm not a "nubber", I rarely smoke past the inch mark, especially a thinner stick like a Churchill. Just too hot and squishy for me. So at that point, I put this guy down and sit back, relaxed and slightly buzzing from the Vitamin N. Total smoke time was around 82 minutes.

Ok, after such a write-up, time for the nitty-gritty. Is this cigar good? Yes. I enjoyed it thoroughly and was very happy in almost every category. The only category I would not be happy about is the price point. Could I complain about that here.. no, they were free.

But I saw the 5pks of these going for $150. For those not hip to the maths, that's $30/each. Which is adorable. Adorable times two. At dress-box pricing, maybe $15/ea with inflation and everything being where it's at right now. In the Churchill size at more of an upscale B&M, I could see them maybe getting away at pricing of $17.50-$18.

And I'm being really generous there. I would give my experience with this particular sample a score of 94. And I'm stingy. So a 94 from me is nothing to balk at. It still doesn't vault it into the $20+ arena either. It's better than many Davidoff's I've had, but I also think Davidoff's are one of the, if not THEE, most overpriced cigar makers. That's taking into account their entire portfolio however.

I do want to thank Imran, "Monti", for providing a generous sampling of his brand. I will save some other thoughts and ideas for him personally. But I did say if he sent samples I would give my honest take and review on them.. including pricing. So here you have it.

I look forward to trying the remaining samples and will update if necessary.

Lastly, a big thanks to Chad @CBoukal, Rod @Rod, and Ed @Pugman1943 for helping Monti get back on here. He's been true to his word and a gentleman. I hope he sticks around.

👍🙌

ETA: Phone changed "typology" to "typography". I changed it back. Kind of funny, both words have the word "typo"! ⌨

Last edited:
Monti was nice enough to reach out. Like I stated prior, I would give a breakdown after smoking a 2nd cigar after acclimation. When I pulled the 2nd one out this past Friday, the Accurite hygro read both 67% RH and 67°F. For a reminder photo shortly after light:

View attachment 76445

Prelight impression: I didn't measure, seems in the Churchill area. The aromatics were a delight. Sweet with light spice and rich earthy undertones. The sweetness of the cold draw gave me gingerbread and ceylon cinnamon, and spiciness from the wrapper that gave my lips a little tingle.

Solid construction, average veins, 4 or 5 light pinches from shoulder to foot were all consistent... not squishy, not hard. Not the fanciest bands ever, which I normally could care less about, but at the price point, I expect everything to be of the highest caliber. The ink and flag images, especially Old Glory, were a bit fuzzy.

Both bands gave zero issues when it came to removal.. that's a BIG pet peeve of mine. If I have a great experience with a cigar and smoke to the band, to just have a wrapper tear due to a sloppily applied band.. that's an instant point or two deduction. If it's blatant and consistent on 2 or more cigars, I write emails.. just ask Alan Rubin.

Back to the cigar, I always open cut with my Cuban Crafter's Perfect Cutter.. tried and true cutter for over 15 years. Cut was easy, taking about a dime worth off the cap, roasted with a triple jet containing Xikar brand fuel.. all uneventful. First puff was a flavor bomb. Often, the prelight aromas aren't always indicative of what you'll actually taste.. especially at first.

This was different. Got graham cracker, not the cheap stuff in the cookie aisle.. fresh-baked graham cracker. Their website says the wrapper is Ecuadorian.. I have nothing to doubt that and it's a fine example. Few puffs in, medium profile so far.. good smoke output. I didn't get any of the draw issues on either sample that Ed experienced.

I've talked before about various tobaccos I'm fond of and have bought for rolling my own sticks. Cuban-seed Criollo 98 has been a favorite leaf for a longtime. The Illyrian site says the binder is D.R. San Vicente, a great choice and is an offshoot "hybrid" from piloto seed. They could have went either way for the binder, but the SV just works. A good read on tobacco typography:

Davidoff throws piloto in a lot of their core, and when you see the copycats, they often throw in inferior-grown piloto to try and mimic the classic Davidoff profile. It seemed, initially, that Illyrian was trying to go the same route. Thankfully, while being Dominican-made with many of the same attributes, they've done enough to make it their own. That's due to the interesting mix and choices for the filler (more on that later).

I'm a little more than a third in, 25 minutes have passed. I had a buddy over and we were smoking in my walk-in. At this point, his LFD is starting to taint my experience.. I open the door about 6 inches and within a few minutes, most of the smoke clears. He stays closer to the door, I move a few feet toward the back. His smoke is pulled right outside, mine hangs slightly over me.

Starting the second third, I have zero complaints. Burn isn't razor-sharp, but damn near. Smoke output is solid and hanging, I'm smoking it at the right humidity level. I'm getting fig with the graham cracker fading, and smooth cashew, my mouth and back of teeth have a nice slick feel (ever had cashew butter?). My tongue keeps sliding along my teeth and I have a good tingle on my lips.

I'm a little more than halfway through, about 45 minutes have passed, and coming up to the first of two bands:

View attachment 76446

First band is removed perfectly.. just a light flick of my thumbnail. Good. Burn is still great, just like you see above. Ash holds easily an inch at a time.. I don't play the long-ash game. I typically give it an inch.. then I look to see if a light tap on top of cigar will drop it, or do I need to "break" it off using the ashtray. Good construction usually means the latter, which was my experience each time.

Going into the last third, their site lists the fillers as Criollo 98, Pennsylvania, Corojo, San Andres. There's no specifics other than that. Like I said earlier, it's an interesting mix. And it's where this Dominican-made stick starts twisting and turning. I'll maybe puff once a minute at my quickest. I'm going longer between puffs because of the conversation between my buddy and me.

There was probably a 5 minute unexpected pause when my sister brought my 4-year old niece out. They are both living with me temporarily and my niece hadn't seen me that day and was going to bed. We had a few minutes together and off they went. Went back in to humi thinking the cigar probably went out.. picked it up, and had a puff instantly on first draw.. terrific.

The last third was just a surprise with every subsequent puff. All the usual notes you'd expect from such a diverse mix of tobacco were there. I'm not sure if the "best for last" was intentional of the blend, or just a coincidence, but I will say I'm looking forward to trying another one this weekend to see. At this juncture, I have about an inch and a half left, the medium profile has picked up to full, but not overpowering at all.

A lot of lengthy sticks like this guy can get potent toward the end just from the nicotine and tar buildup. This was no exception. I'm not a "nubber", I rarely smoke past the inch mark, especially a thinner stick like a Churchill. Just too hot and squishy for me. So at that point, I put this guy down and sit back, relaxed and slightly buzzing from the Vitamin N. Total smoke time was around 82 minutes.

Ok, after such a write-up, time for the nitty-gritty. Is this cigar good? Yes. I enjoyed it thoroughly and was very happy in almost every category. The only category I would not be happy about is the price point. Could I complain about that here.. no, they were free.

But I saw the 5pks of these going for $150. For those not hip to the maths, that's $30/each. Which is adorable. Adorable times two. At dress-box pricing, maybe $15/ea with inflation and everything being where it's at right now. In the Churchill size at more of an upscale B&M, I could see them maybe getting away at pricing of $17.50-$18.

And I'm being really generous there. I would give my experience with this particular sample a score of 94. And I'm stingy. So a 94 from me is nothing to balk at. It still doesn't vault it into the $20+ arena either. It's better than many Davidoff's I've had, but I also think Davidoff's are one of the, if not THEE, most overpriced cigar makers. That's taking into account their entire portfolio however.

I do want to thank Imran, "Monti", for providing a generous sampling of his brand. I will save some other thoughts and ideas for him personally. But I did say if he sent samples I would give my honest take and review on them.. including pricing. So here you have it.

I look forward to trying the remaining samples and will update if necessary.

Lastly, a big thanks to Chad @CBoukal, Rod @Rod, and Ed @Pugman1943 for helping Monti get back on here. He's been true to his word and a gentleman. I hope he sticks around.

👍🙌
Wow, Thank you very much for your time and compassion feedback, It really means alot for me to hear all your feedbacks , Me and my family are trying to put in 100% work into this new brand,And we are striving to improve in any way possible including price.
And for everyone here at cigarpass , I will make a coupon to drastically provide discounts ranging from 30-60% , I mean it no profits or slightly under as my sincere appreciation for giving us a chance into this market.
Please don't hesitate to reach out and I Will provide coupons accordingly.
Also we are improving our ring bands , they will be gold plated foil, water proof , Extreme quality.

Anywase , I sincerely appreciate everything!!

Monti Redzepi
President of Illyrian cigars inc

Well, trying to follow in the footsteps of XYZ is like trying to drive 80mph up that crazy street in CA. But this morning at 0811 hrs I had my second, after two weeks resting. Those that know me or follow on occasion already know I do not have the ability to find the "notes" that are there for some of you. I do however have a good palate and 14 years with many different sticks including ISOM, so I look for things I remember and what I have enjoyed.

As mentioned, 0811 hrs and 41° with little wind, outdoor humidity was 57%. the Queen of Hearts yelled Off with her head, I settled for the cello. Did a hard look at the wrapper. One vein pressed smooth, pleasantly toothy. Great out of the cello experience. Then, as XYZ mentioned I looked at the bands (there are two), and that PITA gold ribbon covering the foot ( and what busts my chops it is put on with tape ). So off with the Goldie and cut the cap for a dry draw. Nice easy draw, it loose, just right. No, didn't find a thing on the dry draw but normal for this old pug.

Gave the foot about 8 quick and easy spins with the flame the a few beginning puffs to insure we were at the go mark and the starting gun sounded. I had all morning since I no longer can chase cats or squirrels so I settled in with iPad in hand for my morning go to for the things I follow on the web. Fully intended to smoke this properly and pay attention as best my experience allows me. The next photo is about midway into the first third. All is well, easy draw, good smoke production and just a ever so pleasant. OH, need to concur with XYZ on the bands. For a stick at this price point they are out of place, they do not exhibit what one might expect for a $15 quality cigar. Yes, of course they work, they just look second class for a cigar that says it is high quality.

Getting into the second third and the smoke is perhaps medium, but pleasant. My preference is just a tad more body, just a tad at this point. The burn is almost spot on, an ever so,gently the profile begins to change and hints of my elusive "tad" begin to come through. All of us look for those qualities in our favorites because that is what gives us our pleasure, and now, this Illyrain is gently talking to me in a language I can understand. I got involved on the iPad and after five minutes the stick was with me, but the burn got messed up causing me to adjust and relight, totally my fault. Had it not be for that, it would have made it without adjustment.

From second third and into the last third it reminded me of the others I enjoy and continued on until I let it go at 1017 hrs. Overall I can say I would purchase these easily, but if the $15 price point is true, I would only buy a 5er and consider these special and probably smoke one a month. I have to thank Monti for the opportunity to try these and for a great experience. ''Twas a good morning and well spent.

IMG_0207.jpeg

Well, trying to follow in the footsteps of XYZ is like trying to drive 80mph up that crazy street in CA. But this morning at 0811 hrs I had my second, after two weeks resting. Those that know me or follow on occasion already know I do not have the ability to find the "notes" that are there for some of you. I do however have a good palate and 14 years with many different sticks including ISOM, so I look for things I remember and what I have enjoyed.

As mentioned, 0811 hrs and 41° with little wind, outdoor humidity was 57%. the Queen of Hearts yelled Off with her head, I settled for the cello. Did a hard look at the wrapper. One vein pressed smooth, pleasantly toothy. Great out of the cello experience. Then, as XYZ mentioned I looked at the bands (there are two), and that PITA gold ribbon covering the foot ( and what busts my chops it is put on with tape ). So off with the Goldie and cut the cap for a dry draw. Nice easy draw, it loose, just right. No, didn't find a thing on the dry draw but normal for this old pug.

Gave the foot about 8 quick and easy spins with the flame the a few beginning puffs to insure we were at the go mark and the starting gun sounded. I had all morning since I no longer can chase cats or squirrels so I settled in with iPad in hand for my morning go to for the things I follow on the web. Fully intended to smoke this properly and pay attention as best my experience allows me. The next photo is about midway into the first third. All is well, easy draw, good smoke production and just a ever so pleasant. OH, need to concur with XYZ on the bands. For a stick at this price point they are out of place, they do not exhibit what one might expect for a $15 quality cigar. Yes, of course they work, they just look second class for a cigar that says it is high quality.

Getting into the second third and the smoke is perhaps medium, but pleasant. My preference is just a tad more body, just a tad at this point. The burn is almost spot on, an ever so,gently the profile begins to change and hints of my elusive "tad" begin to come through. All of us look for those qualities in our favorites because that is what gives us our pleasure, and now, this Illyrain is gently talking to me in a language I can understand. I got involved on the iPad and after five minutes the stick was with me, but the burn got messed up causing me to adjust and relight, totally my fault. Had it not be for that, it would have made it without adjustment.

From second third and into the last third it reminded me of the others I enjoy and continued on until I let it go at 1017 hrs. Overall I can say I would purchase these easily, but if the $15 price point is true, I would only buy a 5er and consider these special and probably smoke one a month. I have to thank Monti for the opportunity to try these and for a great experience. ''Twas a good morning and well spent.

View attachment 76479
Thank you very much for all the reviews and feedback, It truly warms my heart.
And yes the Bands will certainly be improved no doubt about it, We had to rush these for US production as some of the lead times were way to far, We are looking to find a US shop that can make luxury bands for us, As currently these come from Europe and our alternative comes from DR.

We are looking for Embossed gold foil to really stand out with these cigars, More to come.

And gentlemen for what it's worth, Your summaries, Breakdowns, Details are spectacular. I really appreciate the breakdown, I never liked reading or hearing stories but wow do you guys tell some good conversations and step by step details, I would read an entire book , I can truly.see that you are all legit and as experienced as I anticipated, I am glad I have earned my respect towards you, Believe me when I say this is just the beginning, There will be much more to come, As I like to welcome everyone to Illyrian cigars with open arms and see everyone as consultants and board members.

Sincerly.appreciate the honest feedback and points directed to us.

Thank you again !

Monti Redzepi

Since you are starting out and trying to make a name for yourself, I would disagree with Ed and Dan. Look at Padron, their bands are blah at best. But their cigars are awesome.
Thank you
To all cigarpass members here is a special discount coupon, Shipping included

Coupon code : CIGARPASS-VIP

Since you are starting out and trying to make a name for yourself, I would disagree with Ed and Dan. Look at Padron, their bands are blah at best. But their cigars are awesome.
Well Chad, what other bands come with serial numbers? But yes, I have a love affair with the '64 anniversary Maduro. Woe is me. But the 1000 series is a vanilla bad, the anniversary band are nice, or at least to me.

Last edited:
Thank you
To all cigarpass members here is a special discount coupon, Shipping included

Coupon code : CIGARPASS-VIP

Wow! That is a very generous coupon!

However, as someone else mentioned in another thread, “fun” money is limited around Christmas. If the coupon is still valid in the new year, I will definitely be checking out your cigars!

Monti sent me a nice wooden ILLYRIAN box with five toros inside. These are a $15 cigar on his site.

Since I just got them yesterday I will review them in a couple different segments.

THESE NUMBERS REPRESENT CIGARS IN GENERAL (IMHO) AS OPPOSED TO OTHER NON-CUBAN CIGARS.
  1. Appearance = 5 I love the white and gold band colors. The quality of the artwork is poor as has been previously mentioned. The wrappers had a few veins but not bad. The unique cap is eye appealing (the pic doesn't do it justice), the poorly applied scotch tape on the gold foot band is not.
  2. Construction = 6 One thing I look for as a possible indication of taste and depth is mottling, these have a nice amount of it. As I mentioned, there are a few veins but they look okay. All five are solid and firm, a soft cigar will usually lead to draw inconsistencies, and a sloppy head (nobody likes sloppy head), which turn into foul tastes. The bunching at the foot looks pretty good, consistent.
  3. Pre-light smell = 7 These have a very pleasant, pure tobacco, pre-light smell. I expect a sweeter flavor when I finally do get a chance to smoke one.
  4. Burn = TBD
  5. Flavor = TBD
  6. Depth = TBD
Conclusion (at this point) I always loved Fuente cigars, also from the Dominican, and there are a lot of Fuente cigars, which are less than $15 per stick. Using a Fuente Don Carlos as a comparison, the entire line of Don Carlos is less expensive and I seriously doubt that these cigars are going to step up to make them worth the $15 price tag. I am 100% certain they will not surpass the likes of anything in the Anejo line which is still less expensive.

I doubt that the TBD categories are going to push these cigars to a "justified" price but I look forward to trying.

Thank you Monti for the cigars and your efforts to become part of our family!

Illyrian 1.jpg
Illyrian 2 .jpg

Monti sent me a nice wooden ILLYRIAN box with five toros inside. These are a $15 cigar on his site.

Since I just got them yesterday I will review them in a couple different segments.

THESE NUMBERS REPRESENT CIGARS IN GENERAL (IMHO) AS OPPOSED TO OTHER NON-CUBAN CIGARS.
  1. Appearance = 5 I love the white and gold band colors. The quality of the artwork is poor as has been previously mentioned. The wrappers had a few veins but not bad. The unique cap is eye appealing (the pic doesn't do it justice), the poorly applied scotch tape on the gold foot band is not.
  2. Construction = 6 One thing I look for as a possible indication of taste and depth is mottling, these have a nice amount of it. As I mentioned, there are a few veins but they look okay. All five are solid and firm, a soft cigar will usually lead to draw inconsistencies, and a sloppy head (nobody likes sloppy head), which turn into foul tastes. The bunching at the foot looks pretty good, consistent.
  3. Pre-light smell = 7 These have a very pleasant, pure tobacco, pre-light smell. I expect a sweeter flavor when I finally do get a chance to smoke one.
  4. Burn = TBD
  5. Flavor = TBD
  6. Depth = TBD
Conclusion (at this point) I always loved Fuente cigars, also from the Dominican, and there are a lot of Fuente cigars, which are less than $15 per stick. Using a Fuente Don Carlos as a comparison, the entire line of Don Carlos is less expensive and I seriously doubt that these cigars are going to step up to make them worth the $15 price tag. I am 100% certain they will not surpass the likes of anything in the Anejo line which is still less expensive.

I doubt that the TBD categories are going to push these cigars to a "justified" price but I look forward to trying.

Thank you Monti for the cigars and your efforts to become part of our family!

View attachment 76706
View attachment 76707
Thanks Jeff
I appreciate your time, Honesty is the best policy

I am taking notes on everyone's feedback we are looking to have major improvements in the upcoming months and will be sending new samples when ready

Thanks again for letting me be part of this family