• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm a new member so I thought I'd share my hobby

Truly stunning pieces of work.

Can you provde some details/pics of those wooden hinges. Those are unbelievable. Esp that they are heavy enough to work and hold the lid.

Thanks.
The hinges took me years to master as well as the joints. I was even supprised that they are so strong. I'll post pics of how I make them asap.(and how to blow them up)

Oh my God dude...I've spent my time on this site without pictures, (damned filter) and am just now seeing this thread in all it glory...Holy Shit! You are a frakkin' Jedi Master, and I want on your list! No kidding! I'll be PM'ing you with the appropriate details...

Dude...seriously...how do you walk with such stones? That's the coolest damned thing I think I've seen...very, very good on ya'. Wow!

*low whistle in honor of your greatness*

Trey

That is some amazing craftsmanship. How long have you been building your own? How long does it normally take you?

Thank you. The desk top humidors took me about 2 to 3 weeks to build. I've been doing some sort of wood working for over 30 years. It's better than paying a therapist. :thumbs: :laugh:

Oh my God dude...I've spent my time on this site without pictures, (damned filter) and am just now seeing this thread in all it glory...Holy Shit! You are a frakkin' Jedi Master, and I want on your list! No kidding! I'll be PM'ing you with the appropriate details...

Dude...seriously...how do you walk with such stones? That's the coolest damned thing I think I've seen...very, very good on ya'. Wow!

*low whistle in honor of your greatness*

Trey

You're killin me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks very much. It's really pretty easy. Just get the saw dust outta the way and there's a humidor. The trick is......don't remove too much saw dust. :thumbs:

I'm very impressed. I'm an artist by training and have to say, those are pieces of art. Hands down.
Now, how do you finish the wood? If its a trade secret, then I understand. Do you use a mix of varnish and oil? Rubbed on or sprayed on?
Oh, those dovetail-details are very interesting. Like how you did those.

Thank you very much for the kind compliments. I really like when an artist likes my work so your opinion is really valued. As far as the Finish goes, no secret. It's just coat after coat of a Tung oil 6 usually. The trick is to wait 24 hrs apart and steel wool between coats. Then a few coats of pastewax. As far as the dovetails goes, their one dovetail into another one into another one. It's done using a tool called an Incra Jig.

I'm off to a herf tonight with my BIL so I gotta run. Thanks again my friend. :thumbs:

As far as the dovetails go, I just thought you used a larger router bit for the first cut on the face board and then cut into the next piece w/ a smaller bit. Like the contrast. Lots going on in your pieces.

Like I said, very impressive.

If you like, go to www.incra.com. They make the fence that makes it possible to do the DT's with that precision. I have a lot of my work in their gallery too. Thanks again. :thumbs:

Herf went great. My BIL and I enjoyed 2 fine cigars each and had one of our fantastic conversations that can only be had while enjoying a great cigar. Times like this are the essence of life. I'm the wealthiest man in the world when good times are had like this. ;)

If you like, go to www.incra.com. They make the fence that makes it possible to do the DT's with that precision. I have a lot of my work in their gallery too. Thanks again. :thumbs:

Ok Bill, these are just insane!!! (in a omg what fantastic craftsmanship kind of way!)
photo_gallery_bill2_zoom.jpg

Thanks for finding the pic. My camera card has around 3000 pictures and no lables on them. The big vessel has 1495 individual pieces. That was the 15th piece I ever turned back in 2007. It took 6 months to make it. It challenged me in more ways than I can count. Sure makes ashtrays a pleasure to make. :thumbs:
Someday I'd like to make a round humidor that opens from the top and holds the sticks vertically. One of many projects I'd like to try. :thumbs: