• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm looking to start playing Golf!

maduro89

Straight Razors and Whisky
Gentleman!

I think I need a new sport to play. After tearing my meniscus i can't play football or rugby anymore.. :( I need a new sport to play! I think I should pick up golf! I know some of yall are big into golf so I have a few questions. What should I look for in a used golf set?(I'm shopping on a college student's budget) Is there a certain size for clubs depending on hight? (I'm 5'11") What are good brands to look for? (BY THE WAY I'M LEFT HANDED LOL) Thanks for the help guys!

I would say do yourself a favor and save the money for more cigars! Then again I find golf very frustrating to play. If you don't have the time to do it often enough it becomes a futile effort. Then again I suck at golf. I do have a nice set of TaylorMades in the basement, but I don't think they have seen the light of day in at least 4 years lol.

My golf supplies are as follows:

Cooler of Coors Light
Cigars
Golf clubs (on some occasions)

I would say do yourself a favor and save the money for more cigars! Then again I find golf very frustrating to play. If you don't have the time to do it often enough it becomes a futile effort. Then again I suck at golf. I do have a nice set of TaylorMades in the basement, but I don't think they have seen the light of day in at least 4 years lol.
lmao!!!

My golf supplies are as follows:

Cooler of Coors Light
Cigars
Golf clubs (on some occasions)
LMFAO!!!

Based on 5'11" - I would say you should probably be fine with a regular set. I would look for a used set of pings or taylormade on ebay. If you are not looking for the lastest model (which you shouldn't) I am sure you can find someithing in your price range. I would also recommend that you save around $ 150 so you can take a couple of lesson from a local PGA professional. That is much more important than the type of clubs you buy.

Good luck and be prepared to be frustrated.

Based on 5'11" - I would say you should probably be fine with a regular set. I would look for a used set of pings or taylormade on ebay. If you are not looking for the lastest model (which you shouldn't) I am sure you can find someithing in your price range. I would also recommend that you save around $ 150 so you can take a couple of lesson from a local PGA professional. That is much more important than the type of clubs you buy.

I'm getting lessons from mr roommate who is an avid golfer and actually really good at it. I'd look on ebay but shipping scares me! lol

Ping eye2 from a pawn shop. They are usually pretty forgiving.

When looking for a used set you want to find some clubs with little wear on the faces of the club (the part with grooves). You want the grooves to be as sharp and deep as possible. Make sure the grips are in good shape and there's no cracks down the shafts.

Like cookie said, technique is the most important. You can have a $2k set of clubs but if you aren't taught correctly, they do no good. I find most of my golf stuff on Craigs btw...

Don't forget the Cigar Minder cigar holder clip. Nothing worse than walking off and leaving your cigar on the last green. Or worse, having your playing partner accidently tromp on the stick you just layed down while you tee off.

Freindly advice based on experiences.

Take a few lessons to get our grip down, take a few lessons to get your swing down, take a few more lesssons to learn to hit your driver, then hit 100 balls a day, and try to be the first one on the course so you can learn with out a bunch of people trying to give you advice.

Practice , practice, practice..

I would go with a good starter set, have them fit for your swing, as soon as you find out what it is, most of all, it's supposed to be fun.

I'm getting lessons from mr roommate who is an avid golfer and actually really good at it. I'd look on ebay but shipping scares me! lol

I have bought more clubs on ebay than I care to admit. Never had a problem with shipping. A good name brand with a couple of years experience on them is going to be better than a new beginners set IMHO. Good Luck

I agree with Cookie that given your height you should be fine with any set that you find. As far as specific brands go that's just a personal preference. I would however recommend that you look for "name brands" rather than some K-Mart specials. Your roommate should be able to steer you towards the right brand(s). As far as purchasing the clubs goes I would consider looking at craigslist. This time of year lots of guys are staring to upgrade their clubs. You may be able to find a good deal. I do however recommend going to a large golf store in your area and hitting a few different brands. This will give you a better feel for what brand you might want to focus on. Lots of people like to play Pings...I'm not one of them. It's all about your personal preference. Once you get a set I would encourage you to really focus on your short game. It may not be as fun as bombing one long off the tee but you will save more strokes in the long run. The best stick in my bag is whatever I bring to smoke on the course. Good luck!

Golf Galaxy has decent trade-in clubs all the time. Set a budget and stick to it. You can get last year's clubs pretty cheap right now on closeout at many golf shops.

Remember this: Hitting a 300 yd drive is always fun, but you're most important club will be the putter. I'd give up 50 yards on my drive to sink 50 ft putts.

I'd save yourself years of anger, frustration and therapy. Buy a good bottle of scotch and become an alcoholic. At least you'll have something to show for your money and effort. :sign:

If you do your homework and purchase name brand clubs online you are risking very little to nothing as you can always sell them if things don't work out. Ping, Taylormade, Calloway, Cobra, Titlist are a few of the bigger brand names.

My recommendation as a person that has been in and out of the golf business for over 35 years, is this. Since you are left handed and are just learning the game, go find the cheapest set of clubs that you can find on CL, Play it again Sports, or wherever else you can score a set. Find a set that feels good to you by length only. Learn how to hit those clubs and practice. If your buddy is a good golfer he can point you in the right direction.

Then, once you understand and like the game, and have figured out a swing that works for you, then you can go and get fitted properly and get some good clubs. This will save you a ton of money and years of frustration. Play the game because it is fun for you to play, not because you have so much invested into it.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions or need some additional guidance. I look forward to seeing you on the course someday. We need more stogie smokers out there. :thumbs:

I'm also afflicted with left-handedness :D . I have a couple sets of clubs and a couple drivers sitting around the basement. PM me if you're interested.

edit: sp

Beware the windmill, and get the ball in the clown's mouth.

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Alright guys.. while thrifting I came across a booth at an antique mall that sold nothing but golf things.. I got a package deal of this Callaway golf bag, Callaway glove, Callaway couple hats and balls for $90 (all brand new btw) tell me I'm not a good bargain hunter ;D I might get a set of clubs from the guy but he leant me a couple clubs to try out. What a nice guy![/background]
photo115.jpg

photo213.jpg

You bought all that for almost what you could have bought a used set of another brand for...and you didn't even get clubs. So did you win? Yea I guess if you're going to be a caddy.