• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In a bag, in a box.

The Cohiba's made '90 and before were in cellophane, the Siglo line were the first Cohiba's not to have the wrapper I believe... but may be wrong !!

any responses or facts?

What about cigars in glass tubes? I recently bought a Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas 1995 No. II which comes in a glass tube with a cork in the end. Is it safe to keep in the tube or should I pull it out?

Ginseng said:
Hi CK,

Good question. The answer is basically this: wood and cellophane (which is a wood derivative) are far from impermable barriers to either moisture vapor or oxygen. I'll spare the chem-engineering-speak about diffusivities, diffusion coefficients, MVTR, OP and the like. The bottom line is that given sufficient time, the cigars will reach an equilibrium with the external environment.

As folks who age for the long term want their sticks to do so gently and gracefully, this slow approach to equilibrium and resistance to environmental changes is considered a beneficial thing. This is true for the casual cigarist as well except that aging is not as important a goal as is protecting the wrapper from the humidity fluctuations that occur when the humi is opened and closed.

Hope that helps.
[snapback]272199[/snapback]​

The class is in session now kids, gather 'round Prof. Wilkey is presenting "the Cello" theses. :laugh:

LOL You know I love posts such as this Wilkey :thumbs:

bursty said:
What about cigars in glass tubes? I recently bought a Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas 1995 No. II which comes in a glass tube with a cork in the end. Is it safe to keep in the tube or should I pull it out?
[snapback]285096[/snapback]​
Always leave the cigars in the tubes. Trust me on this one.

Emo

If you're new to cigars and storing them, I would highly suggest leaving the cello on. This will not only protect them but act as a buffer between them and the environment. So, if the humidity level fluctuates quite a bit (due to say, overhumidifying your humidor), your cigars will change much more slowly. (from personal experience :))

Back