• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Interesting article about David Spade

Very interesting and very nice of him. Is it really getting that bad in Phoenix? ???

LOS ANGELES — Actor and one-time Phoenix resident David Spade has donated $100,000 to the Phoenix Police Department. The department will use the much needed funds to buy high-powered rifles to defend the city from the growing influence of Mexican drug cartels.

I guess he stiffed a dealer and is trying to protect himself.

I would love to shake that man's hand. Not only is he hilarious, but he's a proud American Hollywood-ite who actually SUPPORTS the Police!! David Spade, you have helped save 300 Police Officers' lives!! :thumbs:

What a breath of fresh air for a "celebrity" to have a bit of common sense!

That’s one way of getting out of parking tickets, DWI & moving violation in Phoenix :whistling:

LOS ANGELES — Actor and one-time Phoenix resident David Spade has donated $100,000 to the Phoenix Police Department. The department will use the much needed funds to buy high-powered rifles to defend the city from the growing influence of Mexican drug cartels.

I guess he stiffed a dealer and is trying to protect himself.

I love the ignorance of the media. "high powered" rifles huh? So what are we talking here, FA 375 H&H's?

Just what we need more heavily armed police. To fight a "drug war".

Just some light reading.
Links.

Police Raid Mayor's Home

Unrelated but along a similar thread.

Police Shoot "Vicious" Dog

That is exactly what they need if they are out gunned and out manned. I would rather the law enforcement find themselves in a position where they have more protection than in a situation where they don't have enough.

Kudos to David Spade for caring enough to help a cause you don't see get helped very much...

Let me clarify that I'm not opposed to assault rifles. In fact it would have been better if he'd distributed 100k worth of weapons to upstanding local citizens IMO.

I love the ignorance of the media. "high powered" rifles huh? So what are we talking here, FA 375 H&H's?

They're AR-15s, if you read the article. So how would you describe them in relation to what the cops already have and to a public that probably knows little about weapons in general?

Just some light reading.
Links.

Police Raid Mayor's Home

Unrelated but along a similar thread.

Police Shoot "Vicious" Dog
Let me clarify that I'm not opposed to assault rifles. In fact it would have been better if he'd distributed 100k worth of weapons to upstanding local citizens IMO.
And based on the articles linked therein, you are constructing a case for arming upstanding local citizens with assault rifles instead of police? I have seen the first article linked several times now across several different boards as a purported sign of police ineptitude. The mayor had a 32 pound package of marijuana mailed to his home. One's personal stance on current drug laws and policies notwithstanding, that breaks an entire gamut of state and federal felony statutes. I notice the mayor suggests the police should have simply knocked on his door and asked if anything was afoot. That, in effect, his mayoral status should have shielded him from common safety tactics employed in drug interdiction cases. As for his dogs - well, it is sadly unfortunate. It is common for dogs to actively defend against or aggressively intimidate even the most innocent of visitors onto a property. Just query how many mail carriers and meter readers are bitten or scared off during routine service calls in their respective careers. Now compound that with the unsavory practice of those engaged in illegal drug sales/trafficking and their proclivity of training dogs to attack police and other intruders in defense of their masters' trade. It is unfortunate in that the police entry team likely felt reasonably threatened by the dogs - who were likely just innocently trying to defend their home. I mean, really, the police had a lawful right to intercept the package from the mayor. How are they to know the mayor is a victim of false addressing? Because the mayor told them so? What a cute defense. I'm not saying it's not true; only an investigation may yield that answer. I am saying it's cute to think one can expect criminals to so easily divulge their illicit activities if the police were only to politely knock on their door and ask "pretty please".

As for the second article linked, it is a much sadder tale. However, I do take note it is a decidedly one-sided piece of argumentative "journalism".

I'm still confused on the basis for better arming upstanding local citizens instead of police. If one were to link articles of upstanding local citizens, with no prior criminal convictions, shooting others without due cause or by mistaken good faith - would that be an equal argument for prohibiting or otherwise limiting arms among the general citizenry? I think not.

Spade is a great guy. I got to meet him before an IU football game back in 2005. He was in Bloomington to do a comedy show later that evening, but he asked if he could get tickets to the football game against Kentucky. The athletic department obliged and Spade just started hanging out at different pregame tailgates and having a grand time and he happened to stop by ours for about 30 minutes. Really down to earth and friendly.

The athletic department also allowed him to do a "welcome to IU/Go Hoosiers" type of pregame comment from the endzone with one caveat: no obscenities. Probably not a great idea seeing how he was putting away the beers.

Spade took the field, sporting an IU hat and took the microphone. He made some chit-chat comments before he let lose with "Let's get a big IU win by kicking some hillbilly Kentucky ass!" Brought down the house. It also was the last time anyone from outside of IU took the microphone to start the game.

Ugh... Just...ugh. I just can't even imagine what field experience you have dealing with situations where you're out-gunned and not protected. Don't listen to the media too much, because we live in a day and age where bad news sells. We have thousands of men and women overseas defending your right to make this comment, but the minute one soldier crosses a moral line (which they shouldn't, and yes it is wrong), all of a sudden ALL U.S. Soldiers are murderers and should be put on trial for their "crimes."

Same go with the Police. I just, I can't wrap my mind around your comment. Tell that to the 131 families who lost their loved ones to gunfire in 2008. Tell that to the 10,479 Officers' families' who have died at the hands of gunmen over the past 217 years. That's an average of 49 Officers dead each year.

Wanna check statistics? You're more than welcome: http://www.odmp.org/

As for the second article linked, it is a much sadder tale. However, I do take note it is a decidedly one-sided piece of argumentative "journalism".

Yeah, calling the dog her "son" is a little far fetched. I'm as big a dog person as the next guy, and my wife and I rescue dogs all the time. We love them, and they are our family members. Personally, I would be bitten first before I shot a dog. But it comes down to coming home to those you love in one piece, and protecting the innocent.

She had no idea that her "son" was in that plastic bag leaning up against the curb.
I'm sorry, but that's pretty one-sided and biased, in my opinion.

As for your first article, I've seen people use that as a banner, screaming "Police Brutality!!" and let me tell you: That's a load of CRAP. I won't even begin to get into tactics on serving warrants and standard operation, but dogs have their own category in a QRF plan just as the positioning of an electrical box, number of windows, and how many rooms a house has.

But, you're entitled to your own opinions as well.