• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It arrived

Chris very nice cabinet, now you'll have space for all those BGM's. Enjoy!

Awesome....wish i had the money for that....i'll just stick with my dinky 150 ct.

So here's my update:

As of today my lock still doesn't work. The cut was not made correctly on the inside of the door so the lock tab doesn't go horizontal into the slot and the key cannot be removed. Bob sent me a new tab that was still not cut correctly. Needless to say I'm more than a little pissed off at this point. I've emailed Bob again and haven't heard from him since that email (about a week ago).

Not only was the cabinet over two months late being delivered, but it came wrong. Bob insisted that he wasn't going to send any cabinet out that wasn't 100% and that he'd "rather take my (sic) time knowing that the product was good than send something out that wasn't right." So I guess he decided to either a) not check my door or b) check the door see it wasn't right and send it out anyway.

So for all you guys that talk about craftsman here you go. Is this how a craftsman builds a product? I'm sure you all would be a little disappointed as well if you just put out $4,000 and got what I got... a long wait, a door that sinks over an 1/8" to one side and a lock that don't work. FANTASTIC!

This is my rant and I'll let the chips fall where they may. There's a lot of guys who make cabinets in this great country. My next one will certainly not come from Texas.

I think I see what you are talking about in your first picture. On the hinge side of the door at the top, correct? I can see that the door is not running level. Is one corner of the door closing at a different depth than another? I can not tell from the picture.

Just asking, has Bob asked you to make any adjustements to the latches? On the type of latch used I have seen, on occasion, the hole that the latch mounts into in the cabinet not get cleaned out completely and it affect the alignment/adjustability of the latch/door. Also, if the holes for the latches are not on the same centerline this can affect the alignment/adjustability of the door. All this can affect the lock's alignment. What kind of groove does the lock insert into?

Note: I have not seen Bob's facility so I can not say what methods he uses during fabrication and am making no judgements of such.

Personally, I would measure the mounting screws for the cabinet portion of the latches from a common reference point. If they are the same, I would undo the to latch, in the cabinet, to check for debris under it. If no debris to be found I would undo the middle latch and try to adjust the door to see if it was creating a "bind" not allowing things to align.

I also have to wonder if the door didn't get "tweaked" out of square due to a slight miscut when glued up?

hmmm, i am working towards getting something similar, but after reading about your experience, not too sure i would go with the same business you got yours from. I'm sorry to hear the experience is bad, that's a bummer to wait and wait only to find out it's not right

I am really upset to hear that everything is not going smoothly for you. I know you don't want to hear again how everyone thinks so highly of Bob and hios work, that doesn;t help when YOUR very pricey humi is not working as it should. I have recoimmended him many many times to family, friends, and important business associates. I do hope that things are not getting away from him.

I think I see what you are talking about in your first picture. On the hinge side of the door at the top, correct? I can see that the door is not running level. Is one corner of the door closing at a different depth than another? I can not tell from the picture.

Just asking, has Bob asked you to make any adjustements to the latches? On the type of latch used I have seen, on occasion, the hole that the latch mounts into in the cabinet not get cleaned out completely and it affect the alignment/adjustability of the latch/door. Also, if the holes for the latches are not on the same centerline this can affect the alignment/adjustability of the door. All this can affect the lock's alignment. What kind of groove does the lock insert into?

Note: I have not seen Bob's facility so I can not say what methods he uses during fabrication and am making no judgements of such.

Personally, I would measure the mounting screws for the cabinet portion of the latches from a common reference point. If they are the same, I would undo the to latch, in the cabinet, to check for debris under it. If no debris to be found I would undo the middle latch and try to adjust the door to see if it was creating a "bind" not allowing things to align.

I also have to wonder if the door didn't get "tweaked" out of square due to a slight miscut when glued up?

Exactly right, Stan. My door slants from the hinge side to the lock side by 1/8" +.

Two things: 1) my end of the deal is to write the check and his end is to deliver the finished product. 2) I have zero (0) woodworking ability otherwise I would probably try to fix it myself... of course, 2) conflicts with 1) in this case.

Perhaps this sounds unreasonable? Well I attempted to make the adjustments to the hinges that was suggested (by Bob) and I just can't get it right. When the top is good the bottom is bad and vice versa. The slant in the door would go away slightly and then there would be significant air leaks around the seal. It was this experience that lead me to think carefully about the statement above and realize that I'm not paying to get a lesson in woodworking. I'm buying a cabinet. I can handle a little tweak here and there. This is over my head and not what I signed up for.

I am really upset to hear that everything is not going smoothly for you. I know you don't want to hear again how everyone thinks so highly of Bob and hios work, that doesn;t help when YOUR very pricey humi is not working as it should. I have recoimmended him many many times to family, friends, and important business associates. I do hope that things are not getting away from him.

Bob has been relatively easy to deal with (I understand he's busy trying to fill his orders, hey... we're all busy, right?). Don't get me wrong here. This last week has gotten away, but Bob contacted me immediately after my updated post. He acknowledged that I wasn't happy with the product and he's going to take it back, giving me a full refund including all the shipping charges. I wish it didn't come to this. Bob is doing the right thing here and sweeping up.

It looks like I'll be back to Coolerdors until I figure out what to do.

Awesome cabinet you´ve got! :love: I´m sorry for your bad luck with the door and lock, surely something to be p****d at a price of 4K! :angry: AFAIK these hinges can be adjusted, but it can be quite a task to do so.

I think I will have to upgrade by the end of this year, my little humi is already too small.... :(

Chris I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the cabinet. I can only commiserate with you, having gone through a long drawn out deal with my first cabinet not a Stabell. My second cabinet was spot on and they way I wanted. Hope you get things squared away.

I understand your frustration Chris and sorry to hear that after a long wait it has turned into an anti-climax.

Soon after purchasing my unit from Bob I bought a 180 box cupboard humidor for $1850. There are no fans in this unit (I run my air conditioner during summer),
just an automatic humidifier. The unit runs at 65% RH top to bottom consistently (I have several pounds of dry beads to maintain the RH) . Conversely, as I have mentioned previously,
Bob's unit has a huge RH fluctuation from top to bottom. Unlike my 180 box unit, I have to add distilled water 2 x a month to 1 pound of beads situated in the two drawers on top which keeps
the RH at +- 62%. If I don't add the water, the RH will drop below 60%, this after installing a second Peltier fan as suggested by Bob because it's a little larger than the standard
Aristocrat.

Bottom line...for more than double the price and 1/4 of the capacity of my 180 box unit, the Aristocrat requires continual monitoring...not good!

Brian

Glad to hear that Bob is making this right. :) Bummer it had to come to this after taking so long to get it.

So the update is:

The cabinet was taken away from my house by the shipper last Thursday (a week now) and is waiting for packing materials to come from Texas so it can make the journey back to Texas.

Wow... what a process this return is turning into. Can't tell you guys how frustrating it is and how much I regret ever placing my order. I'm not even sure what else to say about this whole experience. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :angry:

Hope it all works out Chris, and that you don't have to wait months on end.

Seadub,

I will take the heat for being late on original delivery. We had some employee issues that are now well on their way to being resolved & humidors are going out more on schedule.

RE your ordeal:
I reviewed my emails to/from you regarding return of the humidor. I authorized pickup of the humidor by Alpha Logistics on September 6, 2007. I tried to coordinate a pickup THAT week. You emailed back on Sept. 7 that you would coordinate with them in arranging a time. Apparently you were unable to work it out until September 27, 2007. 3 full weeks later.

Since you had thrown away the original packing materials, I had to create a collapsable system & ship it out to ensure a safe return. Alpha Logistics recently moved to a new warehouse & the packing materials tried to ship to the old address we had on file. It was redirected to the proper warehouse today. The humidor will be crated & returned when Alpha gets the materials in a couple of days.

I really resent your implications on "the ordeal". The delay in return is because it took 3 weeks to coordinate the pickup on YOUR end with Alpha. I was trying to get it back that week. You had disposed of the orginal packing material, so we took time to create packaging that will get it back safely. It's in no one's interest to have it damaged. There is another client waiting for it.

The door issue which seems to be your main complaint, is one based on photo's posted, I suspect we can adjust in about 10 minutes. I decided to take the humidor back because you just seemed generally unhappy. I felt it would be a waste to send a professional furniture guy out to adjust the door.

Life is too short to have an unhappy customer. I can eat a humidor once every decade or two.

Most manufactures will not accept a return if it's not in original packaging.
Most manufactures will not give full credit including the original shipping cost.
Most manufactures will not pay for return shipping cost especially for a product that most likely has no defect. This alone will probably end up running $5-600 including the white glove pick up.

We are doing all of the above & issuing 100% credit when rec'd. Give it rest & go with the flow. You took 3 weeks to get it picked up. I can take a week or two to get it back to Dallas in one piece.

I do wish you the best of luck on your next humidor.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell

I can understand the frustration on both ends. The good thing is it sounds as if both parties want the exact same thing....customer satisfaction. I hope it all works out in the end Chris.

Bob, glad to hear you're doing what you can. As a hopeful future buyer I can say that this situation doesn't affect my opinion on your business or quality of product. Every now and again things just go wrong and Murphy's Law gets in the way.

I can understand the frustration on both ends. The good thing is it sounds as if both parties want the exact same thing....customer satisfaction. I hope it all works out in the end Chris.

Bob, glad to hear you're doing what you can. As a hopeful future buyer I can say that this situation doesn't affect my opinion on your business or quality of product. Every now and again things just go wrong and Murphy's Law gets in the way.

Very well put Wyatt. As someone who talks to Chris, I knew of his fustration on this subject. Bob's post reminded me that there's always two sides. Indeed, it apears that they both want customer satisfaction. :thumbs:

Chris,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your humidor. My dealings with Bob have been very good and I am sure he will make this right for you, that is the kind of guy he is.

Doug

Seadub,

I will take the heat for being late on original delivery. We had some employee issues that are now well on their way to being resolved & humidors are going out more on schedule.

RE your ordeal:
I reviewed my emails to/from you regarding return of the humidor. I authorized pickup of the humidor by Alpha Logistics on September 6, 2007. I tried to coordinate a pickup THAT week. You emailed back on Sept. 7 that you would coordinate with them in arranging a time. Apparently you were unable to work it out until September 27, 2007. 3 full weeks later.

Since you had thrown away the original packing materials, I had to create a collapsable system & ship it out to ensure a safe return. Alpha Logistics recently moved to a new warehouse & the packing materials tried to ship to the old address we had on file. It was redirected to the proper warehouse today. The humidor will be crated & returned when Alpha gets the materials in a couple of days.

I really resent your implications on "the ordeal". The delay in return is because it took 3 weeks to coordinate the pickup on YOUR end with Alpha. I was trying to get it back that week. You had disposed of the orginal packing material, so we took time to create packaging that will get it back safely. It's in no one's interest to have it damaged. There is another client waiting for it.

The door issue which seems to be your main complaint, is one based on photo's posted, I suspect we can adjust in about 10 minutes. I decided to take the humidor back because you just seemed generally unhappy. I felt it would be a waste to send a professional furniture guy out to adjust the door.

Life is too short to have an unhappy customer. I can eat a humidor once every decade or two.

Most manufactures will not accept a return if it's not in original packaging.
Most manufactures will not give full credit including the original shipping cost.
Most manufactures will not pay for return shipping cost especially for a product that most likely has no defect. This alone will probably end up running $5-600 including the white glove pick up.

We are doing all of the above & issuing 100% credit when rec'd. Give it rest & go with the flow. You took 3 weeks to get it picked up. I can take a week or two to get it back to Dallas in one piece.

I do wish you the best of luck on your next humidor.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell

I does look to me that he truly is standing behind his product by offering the 100% refund and taking the humidor back at his own costs. Hope in the end that both parties are satisfied with the outcome.