• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O Aging

w00ts!te

Go GREEN! Go WHITE!
I recently went in on a group buy for some Johnny-O's and I have some questions about how they are smoking.

I know for certain cigars they are better with high humidity, like Padrons. I have smoked a few JO and they start off great but as they burn in, they have a bitter metallic complex. I gave a few to some friends to see what they came up with and most of them said similar things. I also noticed that they taste better when they burn hotter (drawing more often). Are these some things I can fix by aging them longer or dry boxing them before I smoke them? Is this characteristics of young tobacco? Could I just be off on my tastes? :laugh: :blush:

How do you store/smoke/age these fine sticks?

Thanks in advance for any help and yes I searched the forum first. :p

EDIT: And I also contacted John regarding this. He thinks the taste is still generally subjective and that asking in a topic would yield better results. :)

I've only ever enjoyed fresh Johnny-O's. Haven't found age to be kind to them. But, like Johnny says, it's subjective.

My question would be how long did you let them settle before smoking. I think even with Johnny-Os I would go 30 days before sparking one up. Also they are freshly rolled and tend to be more moist, so if you don't let them settle for a period of time, or dry box them...you would definitely get burn issues and of course the bitter taste you are talking about. I too have not smoked any aged Johnny-Os, but if you do the two things I mentioned above...I think they would improve your enjoyment of young Johnny-Os.

Personally I store at 65/65 and wait at least 2 years. Again, personal preference.

I've found that Johnny-O's are fantastic right out the USPS box and for a few weeks afterward. Past that, let them sit for a year, they'll go into a sick period and won't taste very good while curing. Timing depends on the size/wrapper you get - but a full year is the minimum I'd recommend for aging.

I store them at 65/65, but sometimes will dry box a few Johnny-Os for a day or two before smoking them.

I wish there was something called an aging machine... Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will be sitting on these puppies for a while. :(

Great topic Wootsie! I have been wondering the same thing since the split and will also be waiting a while now. Maybe an ISO for some aged johnnie -o's is in order.
laugh.gif

6 months has done wonders for the CE's that I have. There is still a little bit of a young taste, but it has faded substantially.

Still, I can't wait until they have more age. I age mine in empty boxes I pick up from my local B&M. I keep them in my coolidor. So far, it's working great. From other posts I've read around the web, the fresher they are, the lower RH you want to store them at. I keep mine at 65%

Buy at least two bundles. Put one away for a year or so, smoke the other soon as you get 'em. :D

I bought a mixed bundle with CEs and Lonsdales....The CEs tasted really young and I didn't like it much, the Lonsdale that I tried tasted fantastic though.

Buy at least two bundles. Put one away for a year or so, smoke the other soon as you get 'em. :D

I cannot keep my hands off them that long. I would end up smoking both boxes. Just the other day had a Johnny-O Closed Poker Run right out of the USPS box. It was very good. No issues with burn or taste. I will try to wait till next summer before I light another and if they are sick I will let them sit for another year.

Good Question....I am not very good at describing tastes, it just tasted "fresh"...It had a lot of bite to it and a little grassiness. I didn't get any of the ammonia taste that some people get with young cubans so that was good. The lonsdale was really smooth and flavorful though.

Nice post Dave...I was writing mine as you posted.

But isn't grass and hay normal flavors you'd find in a cuban? ???

When I had one, it had some flavors that were bitter that would make you cringe.

I've found that Johnny-O's are fantastic right out the USPS box and for a few weeks afterward. Past that, let them sit for a year, they'll go into a sick period and won't taste very good while curing. Timing depends on the size/wrapper you get - but a full year is the minimum I'd recommend for aging.

I store them at 65/65, but sometimes will dry box a few Johnny-Os for a day or two before smoking them.

Now that you said that..I have noticed that some during that period get a little funky. Thanks for the info!!!

I have a Johnny-O behike from last year's SS I've been saving for THIS year's Yule. Guess I'll find out! ;)

~Boar

They can be in some. Cohibas tend to have grassy undertones. Fresh cut hay is the best analogy I can find. ???