• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny O: EL Robusto

WoadyCypress

I typically don't write reviews because I feel my palate is not the most refine. However this was one of the smoothest, fresh smokes I have had! Rolled on 1/28/18 and smoked less than a month later, on 2/16/18.

Upon lighting the EL Robusto I get a nice helping of what I think of as Cohiba flavors, hay and floral honey. These are very consistent throughout the entire smoke along with sporadic blast of a nice spice cake, almost ginger bread, and a little hint of cocoa towards the end. I thoroughly enjoyed this fresh smoke and don't see these lasting long in my humidor.

The construction on this specimen was truly amazing perfect draw, perfect burnline, "stack of dime" ash! Definitely will be grabbing some more of these!

Been a long time but some fresh JO! are mighty tasty! Go well with a vanilla heavy scotch like Glenmorangie.

I typically don't write reviews because I feel my palate is not the most refine. However this was one of the smoothest, fresh smokes I have had! Rolled on 1/28/18 and smoked less than a month later, on 2/16/18.

Upon lighting the EL Robusto I get a nice helping of what I think of as Cohiba flavors, hay and floral honey. These are very consistent throughout the entire smoke along with sporadic blast of a nice spice cake, almost ginger bread, and a little hint of cocoa towards the end. I thoroughly enjoyed this fresh smoke and don't see these lasting long in my humidor.

The construction on this specimen was truly amazing perfect draw, perfect burnline, "stack of dime" ash! Definitely will be grabbing some more of these!

Dustin, you need to post more.

Nice review! Short and to the point!

I was a little skeptical of the origin of these EL cigars when I pulled the trigger last December. The handful I have smoked since have certainly erased any doubt. If they’re not what Johnny says, I have no complaints. They’re damn good cigars!

I have some 10-11yo JOs laying around. Gotta break a few out to see how they’re going.

FYI everyone.... These aren’t Johnny O Rolls. The EL’s are supposedly from the El Lagitudo factory from the island and Johnny sells them. I asked around before I pulled the trigger and never got a “buy with confidence” reply. I still pulled the trigger, and while I don’t have enough familiarity with the recent Talisman release to comment, the Cohiba Lanceros made a believer out of me that they are indeed as represented.

FYI everyone.... These aren’t Johnny O Rolls. The EL’s are supposedly from the El Lagitudo factory from the island and Johnny sells them. I asked around before I pulled the trigger and never got a “buy with confidence” reply. I still pulled the trigger, and while I don’t have enough familiarity with the recent Talisman release to comment, the Cohiba Lanceros made a believer out of me that they are indeed as represented.
Good point to bring up John. His EL offerings are fairly new in his portfolio of cigars and shouldn't be confused with his own blends. Any potential buyer should take a quick look at the Johnny-O! offerings & price tracker here that we maintain for our members.

I can tell you with certainty that these are not from the El Laguito factory. These are custom rolls with a bit better tobacco than the other customs. Some are very good with some age, others not so good...

I can tell you with certainty that these are not from the El Laguito factory. These are custom rolls with a bit better tobacco than the other customs. Some are very good with some age, others not so good...

Any links you can provide? I’ve always been curious/skeptical and never have been able to get a definitive answer when asking around. When I asked the man himself he stated they came from the EL factory on the island. Maybe subliminal, but the Lancero’s I have smoked CLOSELY reminded me of COLA’s.

Any links you can provide? I’ve always been curious/skeptical and never have been able to get a definitive answer when asking around. When I asked the man himself he stated they came from the EL factory on the island. Maybe subliminal, but the Lancero’s I have smoked CLOSELY reminded me of COLA’s.
I am looking... there was an extensive conversation about these on Facebook, where it was concluded that many of the so called EL Factory roll sizes, were never rolled at that factory. I was curious, so I followed the conversation. I also believed the conclusions they came to.

Are you saying that Johnny O told you they came from the factory?

I am looking... there was an extensive conversation about these on Facebook, where it was concluded that many of the so called EL Factory roll sizes, were never rolled at that factory. I was curious, so I followed the conversation. I also believed the conclusions they came to.

Are you saying that Johnny O told you they came from the factory?

He did! Someone else here told me that there was someone else on OLH that was selling cigars supposedly coming from the factory, and John went off the deep end saying there was no way they were. I never tried to research the thread.

He did! Someone else here told me that there was someone else on OLH that was selling cigars supposedly coming from the factory, and John went off the deep end saying there was no way they were. I never tried to research the thread.
I see, this is very interesting... I will also ask him, and see what he says.

Without asking for the play-by-play from FB what seems to be the concern? Trust me I do not have time for he said, she said. Any cigar I have ever sold has always been guaranteed, be it EL, WF, LC or even Peso cigars. I have been at this for 20 years+ and it amuses be that there are so many out there that have never been to Cuba and still know more than I do. Fire away, I'll answer the best I can. You know the rules. John

By the way I think the subject matter was discussed at FOH not too long ago. It ended Rob telling the initiator of the thread to STFU as he knew quite a few that had smoked these and he was confident as to their origin. So you can believe the gossip queens at FB or make your decisions based on what Rob says. Class dismissed. John

Last edited: