• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jorge Padrón Cigar Dinner

Cards&Gars

"Kellito"
BOTLs,

I apologize for the length of this report ahead of time. :blush:
The “cliff notes” to this post are: Met Jorge; met Jeffery; got four cigars; had a hellava time!

I would just like to say the Jorge Padrón cigar dinner was a huge treat for me. Not only did I meet the man, but I met his nephew, Jeffery Padrón, as well… and we had a blast! :D

The night started with a “meet and greet” at Emerson’s Cigars in Chesapeake, Virginia at around 4:30pm. There Dan, Bob, Miles (my buds) and I stopped off to meet Jorge and pick up a couple of gars before we went to the Town Point Club for dinner. After we got to Emerson’s we met and talked to Jorge and got him to take some pictures and autograph the box of 1926 Serie #6s I purchased before the dinner. I will say this about the man… He is a hell of a guy. Some of the adjectives I would use to describe him are: down-to-earth, approachable, personable, friendly and charming. We all talked about various subjects: the future of Cuba; how Padrón Cigars might change if the Cuban borders were opened; why “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”; whether or not the Padrón family business will survive past the third generation (with little Jorge); and the best way to cook frijoles negros and season a steak.

1kellyjorgepadronbt0.jpg

Kelly & Jorge at Emerson's Cigars

We stood around the store counter and talked about these things a long time. I kept telling Jorge I didn’t want to capitalize his time (because there was a crowd at Emerson’s waiting to meet the man), but he insisted on continuing our conversation. He would always stop just long enough to sign an autograph and take a picture as more people flowed into the store, but always he came back to talk to me and my pals …and that is how the night began.

Interesting side note: I had heard his name pronounced two different ways all night, so I asked him how HE preferred his name to be pronounced. He said he had no preference and answered to both. I then asked him how his wife pronounced his name when she was angry with him. He laughed and said, “George!” So I stuck with “hor hey.”

2kellydanmilesbobgr0.jpg

From Left to Right: Kelly, Dan, Miles & Bob

Dinner: The Town Point Club is a pretty nice place. It has a nice reception area, and multiple dining and meeting rooms, and most importantly a dark wood paneled cigar lounge (complete with a nice plasma TV and overstuffed leather chairs). Our particular event dining room had an all window front that faced the harbor and (thankfully) a door that led out to a large balcony overlooking the water and marina. I say “thankfully,” because the smoke was thick in the dining room last night.

3kellyincigarbarrh5.jpg

As soon as we arrived to the reception, we were handed 1926 Serie #9 which was immediately put to good use. This fine cigar was enjoyed by all as we quenched our thirsts around the very FREE, thus very popular, open bar. Dinner was served a little over an hour later, and was good, but nothing exceptional. What was exceptional, however, were the cigars.

Another fine Padrón cigar was passed out between courses - a large black, box-pressed Padrón 1964 Millennium Series Maduro that smoked like a dream! Then before dessert, I was passed another Padrón 1964 Millennium Series Maduro by a “friend” along with another 1926 Serie #9 (which I immediately lit.) Oh, and then we got another cigar after dessert…

4jorgedanjeffkellysl7.jpg

From Left to Right: Jorge, Dan, Jeff, and Kelly

When dessert was over I got into another conversation with Jorge and Jeff about the Big Smoke in Vegas in November when Jorge got swamped again with admirers. No worries, Jeff and my group took our cigars and scotch out on the balcony and hung out for the rest of the evening. What was really cool about that was what we discovered about Jeffery Padrón. Jeff is 21 and lives in Texas with his mom. Now that he is “of age” he is being introduced to the business, traveling with is uncle to these dinners and other events, and visiting their factories in Nicaragua.

5kellyjeffpadrontw1.jpg

So, you may start seeing him mentioned in articles. (Wow…imagine… 21 and all that ahead of you…) One of the things Jeff was interested in was how the cigar community really liked his family’s cigars… “Simple,” I said, “Just go to www.cigarpass.com and read all about it.” No worries… he asked for my card and for me to write down the website address so he could look it up. I told him to make sure he introduces himself and that “Search is your friend!”

6kellyjeffpadron2ga6.jpg

Kelly & Jeff Padron

So, it was a good night… Met some great people, had some great conversations, took some great pics, and smoked good smokes. I told Jorge at the end of the night that I would send him the pic of our little group so he could have it framed and hang it on HIS wall.

…oh, that last cigar? After dessert was served, guests received their final cigar of the night, a dark, box-pressed pyramid with a simple band and no lettering that was brought out by Jorge Padrón. Jorge described this cigar as a “special Padrón Family Reserve cigar that has never been released or seen by anyone outside the Padrón family.” …and that our little dinner was “only the second time this cigar was passed out.” Hmmm…I wonder how it tastes… I can’t wait to find out!

C&G… now a Padrón whore?

Wow, sounds like a great night. You got 2 Milleniums and a special release Padron? Seems well worth the cost of the night.

I'm just a little bit envious down here :sign:
Sounds like a good night . Thanks heaps for sharing it mate. I really enjoyed reading that.

Sounds fantastic. I'll trade you the ever elusive vanilla coheeba for that plain band not-even a PAM stick.....

For a Padron whore such as myself, your post has me turned green with envy :D !! What a fabulous night with an icon of the cigar community. C&G, thanks for sharing such a great event, very nicely written.

In case Jeffrey doesn't know why there are so many Padron whores here, it's called UNSURPASSED QUALITY. The quality of the rolling, the superior quality of the tobacco, the quality of the smoking experience and a taste profile that is second to none. Could I be any more of a Padron whore? :D Jeffrey has quite a legacy to uphold as he takes his place in this family of tobacco growers and cigar makers.

I guess I'll have to go smoke a PAM tonight and listen to the Yanks win!!!!

Looks awesome C&G! Excellent post.

... :D Jeffrey has quite a legacy to uphold as he takes his place in this family of tobacco growers and cigar makers...

After talking to Jeff I got a good idea of how he feels about the whole thing. He is a very WIDE eyed young man right now. LOL... This is all bit much...and very exciting...this adventure he is embarking on. I believe he understands the huge responsibility he may have if he decides to make this his life. But, WOW...right now he is experiencing the "glitter" part of it - traveling with his uncle and all. I really do hope he decides to go in his family's business... He certainly has the personality for it.

C&G... adopted by the Padron family and now known as "Kellito."

Looks and sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

Looks like a million-dollar time, Kelly! Thank you for sharing. Hor-hay it shall be then. :D

Wilkey

Wow C&G. I don't know how I missed this thread. Sounds like an awesome time. Wished I had known about it. I would have definitely made the 2 1/2 hour drive down for Jorge.

John

Big Stick...

That is correct, Sir. I found it interesting that the band they used looked a lot like the numbered bands on there 1926 Serie... the number on mine is 224434. Not sure if it means anything, but there it is.

OH, and John (Jfields)... hell, if you are that close. We should Herf if you are that close...Meet somewhere in the middle.

YA THINK?

-C&G...white water survivor!

OH, and John (Jfields)... hell, if you are that close. We should Herf if you are that close...Meet somewhere in the middle.

YA THINK?

Hell yes! Things are a little crazy right now though brother. Just until after Mid Janurary when the wife finishes a course she is taking for her nursing school. Right now her nights and weekends are filled with classes/clinical rotations.

Maybe you can attend the next camping herf a few of us just did in August at Warm Springs Va. We had a blast!!!!!! You ever get to travel with your job around the state?
I get to sometimes hang out at Leesburg Pipe and Cigar with my flexible boss.

Looks like a hell of a time. I just re-read through this and realized I'd been to Emerson's where the first pictures were taken. I've been to Norfolk twice for some planning conferences and made it there each time. Great selection. Too bad I don't plan on being back that way anytime soon.

…oh, that last cigar? After dessert was served, guests received their final cigar of the night, a dark, box-pressed pyramid with a simple band and no lettering that was brought out by Jorge Padrón. Jorge described this cigar as a “special Padrón Family Reserve cigar that has never been released or seen by anyone outside the Padrón family.” …and that our little dinner was “only the second time this cigar was passed out.” Hmmm…I wonder how it tastes… I can’t wait to find out!

hrmmmmmmm... a cigar I don't have! Time to start looking...