• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jumping Ship ?

Teamsters and auto workers run things differently, I was a teamster for a few years and seniority doesn't really exist in the trades- It's all production.

I've laid guys off after 4 hours of work- a form guy coming to hang board they just didn't cut it.

Hopefully, you didn't take my questions personally. I didn't expect or want you to answer them or feel like you had to justify yourself.

It took me a long time to get to the point where I knew enough and was honest enough with myself to be introspective. Once I was mature enough to go through the process, it was perfectly understandable why my career and my personal life was a shambles.

It sounds like you got hired back later after a lay off because others had more seniority?

Have others been promoted before you because they were older and the decision makers figured that they earned their dues?

Do you understand that the decision maker's form of "loyalty" might mean the old guys have an advantage?

Regardless, it sounds like a good opportunity might be staring you in the face. I don't know many middle aged masons that DON"T struggle with previous injuries, strains and aches and pains.

Best of luck to you no matter what you choose. It is best to make career changes when you are young.

I'm confused. Are you in the Union or not? If so, I would suspect there are guidlines as to who gets hired back first after a layoff. I know when I was a Teamster and got laid off they hired back some people and they did it according to seniority, which is essentially what everything in the Union is based upon. If you're not in the Union then that may be your answer as to why others were hired back and not you. Also, you might be overlooking the most basic explanation as to keeping new hires busy and not you. If you've been there 7yrs and have 7yrs worth of pay increases in your wage, the company can give that work to guys who just started and are making less than you. The company would just pocket the difference in the labor wage.

As mentioned before, Yes, I am a Union Mason. As far as guidelines as to who gets hired back first, it's up to the employers. It may be a little different in the Teamsters, and where you live. The Union cannot say to a contractor who they feel should be back first, it's solely based upon the contractors decision. Now, that rule may be the case for companies that frequently "hire out of the hall", and are searching for more man power, then YES. That seniority, or list will be followed appropriately. If I was on the list in the hall, then I wouldn't be having this conversation.

To try and explain this a little better, it's kind of like this: There are 2 types of masons in our field "Union guys" - (which we are all but) they are all about the Union, could care less about the contractor, and bounce from job site to job site, company to company, and travel all over. These guys also "chase the money" and seek work from Union employers in higher scale locals, such as Boston.
Then you have the "Company guy" - these are the guys that are continually hired back to work for the same employer, if laid off at all. They go above and beyond the standards of an 8 hr. work day, care about the quality of their own work, care about the company, have a sense of "home" at work, and rarely ever deal with the hall except for when they are paying dues or at a Union Clam Bake. They never try and screw the company, and don't drink a six pack during lunch.
Im one of those "Company guys" that has signed up and never left. I feel like I have earned my "seniority" within the company.

Also, I have not overlooked anything basic - We are Union members and follow a strict scale/rate. After being in the Union just a short 3 yrs, I have finished my apprenticeship, and "Journeyed out" as they say. Which also means that I max out my pay that a contractor LEGALLY has to pay me. My pay scale is what it is, and cannot be taken from me. If I leave to go work for another company, the rate is the same/hr. + benefits and follows me. I am worth just as much at 6 yrs , as the guy next to me who has 25 yrs in. I know, WHERE's the INCENTIVE there? When I say "new guy hired this year", that doesn't necessarily mean the guy has no idea and is paid $12.00/ hr, in fact just the opposite. He has been doing Union work for about as long as I have, just 'new' to our company. However, my boss does pay me over scale, apparently because he sees it in me. <--- THIS is were the confusion for me sits in. He says great things to my face, pays me over scale, and paints a pretty picture, yet the actions don't carry that same vibe...

Gotcha. That makes a little more sense now. I thought by new hires you meant people just starting out. Actions do speak louder than words, IMO. Good luck to you.

Maybe the boss is smart and you are too valuable to him as a mason. Maybe if he took you off the line and put you into management, he be fucking himself. Regardless, if you have a good opportunity looking you in the face, you HAVE to put a great deal consideration into making a change. In the end, your greatest loyalty is to yourself and your family. I have a little bit of envy for people who know a trade and can make things with their hands.

Austen, if you have any part of you that wants to stay where you are. Go to the owner and express this too him. Give him the examples you have given us. Tell him you have a better offer and see what he does.

I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes you just have to move on, especailly in construction, maybe it's just what I know, but their comes a time when you max out your potentail or maybe you learned all you can at one position and their is no one who can give you what you need. The fact that you have put this much effort into thiking about it, I'd say put that much effort into prooving yourself to the next guy. Leave on good terms- Never burn a bridge in construction, the appretice you are telling to go f' himself is the guy running the job 6 years from know, besides he might be looking for you to come back and you'll have a whole different mentality you can rely on - good luck!

Like I said before just keep learning and growing- always try to advance!

If you have done all of the things to increase your value to your employer, as you say, and he allows you to be left in the smoke of new employees, I would speak to him and see what his reasons are. I would absolutely talk of your frustration, and ask what his plans for you are. If you are not satisfied with the response you get, then of course, move on. In today's world 7 years is a long time to stay in one spot. I have been at the same company for 27, and on many occasions wish I had changed jobs, just to keep myself fresh. Good luck young man, I'm sure you will make the right decision for you!

Yes, I am nosey.

I was just wondering how things were going for you young man.

Yes, I am nosey.

I was just wondering how things were going for you young man.

Family is never nosey, just concerned...

Things are going as good as they can be I guess. Im working with the same company still. However, I did decide that things may be for the better for me and my growth if I left on good terms. I guess I need to stop "trying to fit in" because I know I can "stand out".

Anyways, I put the feelers out on FB and it didn't take long for someone to bite. Apparently my buddy works for NYS O.G.S.(Operations of General Services) and every year they have a budget - and they hire a "lucky" hand full of Union Masons to mingle in with their own personnel. Guess who is in charge of the list ? Yup, my buddy. Also, his boss, who is the main guy down there for all the hiring and firing, coached Twin Town Little League in my hometown. He remembers me, as I do him. Small world.... No worries anymore. Sometimes we just "need a change", and sometimes making a change leads to endless possibilities... Thanks for your curiosity.

Sounds like you are making a good change.

I just recently made a career change, to a completely different field. I was in the tech world (Project Coordinator/Manager for Sun Microsystems) then got laid off when my twins were 6 months old (about 4 years ago). I was back in school to get into the medical field, but a different opportunity presented itself. I am now working for the family business (commercial painting contractor) as an estimator.

Sounds like a well thought out decision, Austen. Best of luck to you!

Today was my D-Day.... I got the call this morning from my buddy that works for NYState O.G.S. He said I was all good and could start whenever I wish ! Great news. I told him I could start Mon. the 27th. This would give my employer just shy of 2 weeks to plan, and hopefully show the 'new' employer that I at least have the decency to give a proper notice upon leaving. My boss acted exactly how he would have...All smiles with a slight sadness in his eyes. He ended it with "don't be a stranger. Stop by once and a while." and "call me kid, we'll go fishing". We always had that kind of relationship, and business is business, no hard feelings.

So, it's official. I have made that decision. After 7 yrs., Im finally venturing back out into the construction world and leaving "my home", with a whole new set of opportunities and accomplishments. Life is good, and Im anxiously awaiting the new job. :thumbs:

Congrats Austen, now go take on the world. Haha, seriously this is awesome brother.

Hey that's great news, glad to hear it worked out, all the best to you!