• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just need to vent a little!

I have read and reread this thread and a few questions come to mind.

Who is paying for this dog's veterinary care?

How is Jsanzone23's dog able to open car doors? Is that part of the expensive training?

Why are people so quick to advocate police brutality, does the Constitution mean nothing anymore?

How is Jsanzone23's dog able to open car doors? Is that part of the expensive training?

Why are people so quick to advocate police brutality, does the Constitution mean nothing anymore?

1. Usually the department. It's generally figured into the budget. It is the same as if another Officer was shot, and has to be medically taken care of. We highly value our K9's and treat them like a partner/fellow Officer.

2. Through K9 training usually done by the handler on his/her own time. To have a dog who performs many extracurricular tasks such as opening a door, jumping walls using his handler as a "step" (if you will), and many other activities shows the personal dedication and professionalism of their handler.

For some reason, it seems to me that you have an ulterior mindset in these questions Robbie, particularly the comment about the healthcare and expensive training of the dog. Are you going to ask who is ultimately paying for the dog's food and grooming? Because your answer is you. The tax payers. Such is the price of law enforcement. Then again, I may just be off, so help me out here.

1. Usually the department. It's generally figured into the budget. It is the same as if another Officer was shot, and has to be medically taken care of. We highly value our K9's and treat them like a partner/fellow Officer.

2. Through K9 training usually done by the handler on his/her own time. To have a dog who performs many extracurricular tasks such as opening a door, jumping walls using his handler as a "step" (if you will), and many other activities shows the personal dedication and professionalism of their handler.

For some reason, it seems to me that you have an ulterior mindset in these questions Robbie, particularly the comment about the healthcare and expensive training of the dog. Are you going to ask who is ultimately paying for the dog's food and grooming? Because your answer is YES The tax payers. Such is the price of law enforcement. Then again, I may just be off, so help me out here.

Yup we do and as a Tax payer I don't mind ONE BIT!!! People like Jon (souldog), Keith ( q the cop), and John (Jsanzone23), (sorry if I missed anyone) make our communities safe. So do the dogs that K-9 handlers use. I hope this dog will return to active duty and live a happy life getting drugs off the street and doing what he does best, protecting and serving.

For some reason, it seems to me that you have an ulterior mindset in these questions Robbie, particularly the comment about the healthcare and expensive training of the dog. Are you going to ask who is ultimately paying for the dog's food and grooming? Because your answer is you. The tax payers. Such is the price of law enforcement. Then again, I may just be off, so help me out here.

I think his ulterior motive has to do with the question you skipped over. While I'm not advocating shooting a dog in the paw, I don't understand why so many are calling for equally unjust retribution. I have many friends in all levels of law enforcement, from small town officers up the line to federal air marshals, and I get tired of explaining to people that not all LEO are as bad as the ones you read about in the papers who are accused of the same things that many are calling for in this thread.

My dog in question is paid for by the generous donations of my community and local businesses. The city does not contribute anything to the dogs not even the dog food. I have even paid many bills out of my own pocket. Second I have a door pop system on my vehicle that allows the dog to be deployed from the vehicle at a moments notice. It is a little pager style device that I carry on my belt. I have this feeling that you are anti police and thats fine but unless you have done this job first hand then its hard for you to sit back and criticize over these things. This line of work is not for everyone and yes I do believe in the constitution and also in making this world a safer place for you and your family.

Well here is a little update! They have decided they will have to amputate part of his front paw, but not the whole paw. They said it won't hurt him at work because he is just detection. They said after it heals, he "should" be good to go, they'll have to wait and see. If not they will retire him. But I can assure you Mike feels A LOT better about it! He has been a real mess (and a pain LOL!) for the past week or so. I'll let you know what eventually happens but as of yet still nothing as to a suspect... :angry:

I'm very glad to hear everything except for the lack of a suspect. My thoughts when I first read this was that a detection dog could probably still work with just 3 legs. I had a good friend who had a 3 legged dog and the dog could do almost everything its 4 legged counterparts could. Here's hoping for a return to active duty! If only they could talk, finding a suspect might be a lot easier. My best!

Dave

1. The city has put vet care, food, etc. into the budget as Jon said.

2. As Jsanzone said they use a remotely operated hydraulic rear door opening system (though I have seen our counties app. dog squeeze out of the door window while the handler was fighting with a suspect one time. (he left the door in the cage, between the front seats open, and he went through into the front of the car and out the front window.)

3. I can't speak for other people, but I NEVER advocate police brutality.

I think what you are seeing is a gut reaction to what many of us perceive as a complete lack of respect for authority. Disagreeing on politics are one thing, but when someone actually attacks law enforcement personel, to many of us it represents a telling sign in the breakdown of societal values and morals. Knowing where it could eventually lead, it's frightening to many folks.

We can disagree about laws, policies, politics, etc. and work to change the things in our society we don't like. Violence against the folks who's job it is to enforce existinig laws and keep us safe is simply unacceptable to many.

So what you have are folks "advocating" letting the dog chew on the perp, shoot him in the foot, etc. I don't take any of those comments serioiusly becasue I know the level of professionalisim that the fine folks in law enforcemrnt display. They'd never let it happen. What you have here is the venting of folks that are pissed off and maybe a little scared because of what's happened. To some, this is how they show their support and frankly I think it's hamless venting. Frankly, Robbie, I think your comment is unnecessary.

Think about this very carefully: When cops aren't safe in their own home, where do you think that puts you and your family in the food chain...??

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

Edited because I can't spell worth a damn until coffee #3......

I think what you are seeing is a gut reaction to what many of us perceive as a complete lack of respect for authority. Disagreeing on politics are one thing, but when someone actually attacks law enforcement personel, to many of us it represents a telling sign in the breakdown of societal values and morals. Knowing where it could eventually lead, it's frightening to many folks.

We can disagree about laws, policies, politics, etc. and work to change the things in our society we don't like. Violence against the folks who's job it is to enforce existinig laws and keep us safe is simply unacceptable to many.

So what you have are folks "advocating" letting the dog chew on the perp, shoot him in the foot, etc. I don't take any of those comments serioiusly becasue I know the level of professionalisim that the fine folks in law enforcemrnt display. They'd never let it happen. What you have here is the venting of folks that are pissed off and maybe a little scared because of what's happened. To some, this is how they show their support and frankly I think it's hamless venting. Frankly, Robbie, I think your comment is unnecessary.

Think about this very carefully: When cops aren't safe in their own home, where do you think that puts you and your family in the food chain...??

:thumbs: Excellent post!

I think what you are seeing is a gut reaction to what many perceive should be a complete and unquestioning submission to authority. Disagreeing on politics are one thing, but when Police actually attack their own citizens, to many of us it represents a telling sign in the breakdown of societal values and morals. Knowing where it could eventually lead, it's frightening to many folks.

We can disagree about laws, policies, politics, etc. and work to change the things in our society we don't like, police corruption and injustice included. Violence against the folks who have not been charged with or found guilty of a crime is simply unacceptable to many who recognize how our laws work.

So what you have are folks "advocating" letting the dog chew on the perp, shoot him in the foot, etc. I don't want to take any of those comments seriously because I expect a level of professionalism from the fine folks in law enforcement. Ideally, they'd never let it happen. What you have here is the venting of folks that are pissed off and maybe a little scared because of what's happened. To some, this is how they show their concern for Justice in our country and frankly I think it's harmless venting. Frankly, BBS, I think your comment is incredibly narrow minded.

Think about this very carefully: When citizens are powerless against those sworn to protect them, where does that put us as a country?

I think what you are seeing is a gut reaction to what many perceive should be a complete and unquestioning submission to authority. Disagreeing on politics are one thing, but when Police actually attack their own citizens, to many of us it represents a telling sign in the breakdown of societal values and morals. Knowing where it could eventually lead, it's frightening to many folks.

We can disagree about laws, policies, politics, etc. and work to change the things in our society we don't like, police corruption and injustice included. Violence against the folks who have not been charged with or found guilty of a crime is simply unacceptable to many who recognize how our laws work.

So what you have are folks "advocating" letting the dog chew on the perp, shoot him in the foot, etc. I don't want to take any of those comments seriously because I expect a level of professionalism from the fine folks in law enforcement. Ideally, they'd never let it happen. What you have here is the venting of folks that are pissed off and maybe a little scared because of what's happened. To some, this is how they show their concern for Justice in our country and frankly I think it's harmless venting. Frankly, BBS, I think your comment is incredibly narrow minded.

Think about this very carefully: When citizens are powerless against those sworn to protect them, where does that put us as a country?

I think you are reading a little too much into what people were saying. If you read carefully, none of us LEO's mentioned we were hoping for the same retribution. While I don't agree with what people wrote, wishing harm, advocating an ass kicking, ect ect, that is their opinion. The amount of shady police business that goes on is pretty small compared to the amount of good, honest day to day community policing.

I'm going to say that Jon nailed it on the head when he said you obviously have a problem with law enforcement. You sound like the type that think all we do is beat people up behind closed doors and violate their rights. Please tell me otherwise.

My goodness, aren't we clever this morning.....:p

The only problem I've ever had with law enforcement is when they slip in behind me on I-5 when I'm doing 85. Even then, to call it a "problem" is a bit over the top.

I'm genuinely sorry you have the perception of law enforcement that you do, Robbie. You paint the brave folks in the LEO community with a broad brush that they don't deserve. Examples of failure can be found in any profession, and in any group. To imply it's the norm is cynical and unfair. Bad cops are caught, and punished as they should be.

I trust the guys in blue completely. Not out of ignorance or naivete, but because I genuinely believe they earn my trust every day they put on the badge and gun. I believe they demonstrate the best kind of professionalism in what they do.

Robbie, even though you appear to despise law enforcement and believe they are uncontrolled thugs, when you call 911 they'll come and help. I think that says a lot.

Regards - B.B.S.

My goodness, aren't we clever this morning.....:p

The only problem I've ever had with law enforcement is when they slip in behind me on I-5 when I'm doing 85. Even then, to call it a "problem" is a bit over the top.

I'm genuinely sorry you have the perception of law enforcement that you do, Robbie. You paint the brave folks in the LEO community with a broad brush that they don't deserve. Examples of failure can be found in any profession, and in any group. To imply it's the norm is cynical and unfair. Bad cops are caught, and punished as they should be.

I trust the guys in blue completely. Not out of ignorance or naivete, but because I genuinely believe they earn my trust every day they put on the badge and gun. I believe they demonstrate the best kind of professionalism in what they do.

Robbie, even though you appear to despise law enforcement and believe they are uncontrolled thugs, when you call 911 they'll come and help. I think that says a lot.

Regards - B.B.S.

Thank you B.B.S. It's refreshing to see something like that said. :thumbs:

B.B.S.; I could not have said it better if I had a Phd in literature. I'll herf with you anyday brother.

Where are you all getting the idea that Robbie has a dislike for law enforcement? If anything, his posts suggests to me that he holds law enforcement officers to a high standard, which I hardly see to be a bad thing.

Where are you all getting the idea that Robbie has a dislike for law enforcement? If anything, his posts suggests to me that he holds law enforcement officers to a high standard, which I hardly see to be a bad thing.

I asked him to tell me otherwise. I like Robbie, I've chatted with him a few times in CP chat and always thought him to be a good dude. If he explains the meaning behind his initial questions that raised eyebrows from a few of us LEO's, then it is no biggie. The reason for the suspicion that he dislikes law enforcement probably stems from the fact that I deal with similar questions on a weekly, sometimes even daily, basis that usually come from people who think that cops are assholes who are merely bullies with a badge and gun. I guess maybe after so much of it we get a bit defensive. How would you feel if every day someone told you to your face that you were a piece of shit, and this is after you helped them? It wears, no matter how much you are a professional.

Also, when reading his questions and replies, it's the implied that bothers us. The flip side to the coin is that you cannot tell inflection in text, so a harmless question in person may come off in a wayyyy different manner when typed.

Back