• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kauai Cigar Co........yep, heard that right!

Putz Mulligan

shhhhhh, cigar learning in process!
Cigar: Dark Island Prince Momona
Filler: Sun Grown Kauai
Wrapper: Habano 2000 leaf grown in Nicaragua
Ring Gauge: 50
Length: 5 3/4
Origin: Kauai, HI (rolled in Nicaragua)
Manufacturer: Kauai Cigar Co.
Forgive the lack of photos and realize this is going off of my recollection as I did not have a note pad handy.........

Well here I am roughing it on this island called Kauai and the wife is dragging me all over shopping when I spy out of the corner of my eye, "Kauai Cigar Co." Now I'm thinking this might be a B&M with lots to choose from and instead am faced with a coffee place named Java Kai that is carrying a line from the Kauai Cigar Co. What the?! Alright, I need a coffee to keep up with the wife so I go inside and find a nice little display of sticks in assorted sizes and they all have "Island Prince" on the bands and "Kauai Cigar Co." I ask the girl behind the counter what these are all about, are they flavored, nasty, and relatively blah? She says, no, many folks come in asking the same questions, buy one, smoke it and come back to buy a box. The price..............$19.99 for a single stick!?!?!?!?! WTF?! That can't be that good?! It must be because it's an island right?

So, being desperate to cool the "peds" I buy one Dark Island Prince Momona with a cup of Kauai Estate Reserve Peaberry and head outside. I remove the cello and upon inspection the wrapper is constructed well with no veins. The wrapper has a nice rich dark chocolate oily finish. Looks as if there is a double cap which I quickly snip with the cutter. The fragrance and flavor from the dry draw is best described as earthy and rich. I torch the foot and am rewarded with some excellent plumes of smoke. The flavor is complex with hints of, for lack of better, dark, rich and loamy dirt. If anyone has been to Kauai they will understand the reference as even the air here is thick and moist with the token red soil. There was not hint of bitterness though it still carried a modest bite. The ash was lite gray and remained nice and solid staying there until the final third. Overall the cigar tasted young and could stand some aging of maybe a year but overall it was very enjoyable as is. Certainly gave me pause and am now considering going back to purchase more at another location that is selling them at MSRP. It turns out that these can be had in singles, three packs, etc. on the Internet for a much more modest price of $13 though it does not include shipping.

I am here until Friday for any of those that are interested in grabbing a few without the shipping cost of FedEx.

I contacted Kauai Cigar Co. to see if there offered tours of their plantation but unfortunately no luck. They did not, however, hesitate to invite me to come back and work the harvest in July to December! :sign: Road trip anyone?! :thumbs:

Edited to change the rather confusing wording and say I found the sticks for less at another retailer for $13.00 each.

NIce review Charlie, nice smoke for a nice guy! You're a coffee fiend by the way, and don't pretend you like it with coffee and sugar. Admit it, you like your coffee like you like your men: Strong and bla------.....

:sign: :sign: :sign:

Enjoy the vacae brother, and when you come back, we shall herf!

PS- Let's go and work the harvest in July! :laugh:

-Jonathan

$19.99 for a box... that doesn't sound too ba.... :sign:

Holy cow man.

Nice review, and its good to hear your enjoying your Vacation!

A review without pics is like sex without...errr, figure it out.

Nice review Charlie. I can picture your moves, very descriptive.

Enjoy.

Brian

Nice review Charlie. This has to be one of the best phrases ever "dark, rich and loamy dirt", if anything else in the world was described like this it would be thrown in the garbage, but not cigars :)
. Great review.

Jim

Hey, Charlie! Vacations overrated huh? I hope you and your family is having a good one.

Oh, btw, the invitation is still open for dinner on our anniversary. BBQ, anyone ;)

John

Aloha Brah,

Nice review, hope your having a great time.

The last time I was in Kauai I remember visiting a brewery on the West Side of the island, and then driving up to the Na Pali coast. There's a park up there, right on the edge of the Na Pali coast where the road doesn't go any further, beautiful beach, secluded. I spent a few hours walking the beach by myself, contemplating life.

:cool:

I'll scoop a box for 20 bucks, why the hell not?

PM sent!

lol I'm pretty sure that was 19.99 for ONE :whistling:

Hahaha, wierd, I read that totally differently!

'many folks come in asking the same questions, buy one, smoke it and come back to buy a box. The price..............$19.99!?!?!?!?! WTF?! That can't be that good?!'

Is it just me, or does that read 1999 a box? At 20$ a piece I've got a few other options I'd rather jump on, at a buck a stick tho? =)

I can see how that might be worded a bit strange and yes the $20 is for 1, single, solitary, lonely stick.

I can see how that might be worded a bit strange and yes the $20 is for 1, single, solitary, lonely stick.

It's the Kauai air buddy, it's makin' your mind go nutsoids. But don't worry, I'll cover for you. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

My daughter in law (eldest son) is from the Big Island. They spent Christmas in Kona and brought me, I think the Momona in a coffin. I reckon I better smoke the danged thing and take some pictures for Brian.

Yall need to read their web site. The political and tax situation they describe will anger even the more liberal among us.

Seems like they come in individual coffins. Funny thing is that I didnt even know they existed and I live here in Hawaii although on a different island.

Mahalo for the excellent down and "dirty" on the cigar. Charlie, I encourage you to ammend your review with some of the other info you obtained. Amazing how this guy cures the tabacco in such a small room. How this is still a small, small operation waiting to grow, but producing a decent cigar. Only if the locals wouldn't charge the "Tourism Tax" on the cigar.

Never did ask.. did you win the half way mark and get a can of macadamias?

Nice review mate.

I would be up for a couple if you are going to buy a few bro.

Dave

One of the local B&Ms that carry them told me that Kauai Cigar Co. plans on complete mfg of the cigars on Kaui within two years. I think that is totally cool! :cool:

One of the local B&Ms that carry them told me that Kauai Cigar Co. plans on complete mfg of the cigars on Kaui within two years. I think that is totally cool! :cool:

Sounds like they found a way around the tax problem. This is a good thing!

Imagine growing the best pineapples on the planet, but local taxes won't permit cutting and packaging. They ship the harvested pineapples to Japan to be sliced and canned, then shipped back to Hawaii for sale at $25/12oz can.