• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Canada Fire

Let's hope for rain and no wind.

I know two fire fighters lost their lives. My thoughts and prayers are with all out there.

A Fireman's Prayer
When I am called to duty, God,

Whenever flames may rage;

Give me strength to save some life,

Whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child

Before it is too late

Or save an older person

From the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert

And hear the weakest shout,

And quickly and efficiently

To put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling

And to give the best in me

To guard my every neighbor

And protect his property.

And if, according to my fate,

I am to lose my life,

Please bless with your protecting

My children and my wife.

- Author Unknown

Sent to all firefighters.

This is another reason why I hate southern California, these fires destroy thousands of dollars every year around this time.

I hope everything goes well bro,

This was the view on Saturday, long before the fire got close to the desert and it looked worse then than it does now that the fire has reached the desert. Now the smoke is basically obscuring everything so you can't see much.

station.jpg

I took these from my office a few minutes ago. Sorry it is a crappy cell phone camera and the closest thing to a panorama shot I can get.

This is the view looking south. The smoke plumes on the right(west edge of the fire)in the first photo are from the vicinity of the town of Acton. The Mt. Wilson area would be left of the billboard in the foreground and about 20 miles distant as the crow flies. The far left of the last photo would be looking towards the ski areas of Wrightwood which is about 40 to 50 miles. The fire is not even close to Wrightwood but this gives you an idea of the smoke the aerial tankers are dealing with which is preventing them for attacking the fire anywhere other than the far west and south leading edges.

station4.jpg
station6.jpg
station13.jpg

Last I heard Mt. Wilson is at risk. If the fire reaches the antennas, FM/AM and over the air signals will go down. Hopefully they get this fire contained soon, however I'm still hearing Sept 8 as the containment date.

An Air quality warning was just issued here in Colorado due to your smoke. On the bright side, the sunset and the moon last night were awesome to see.

Couresy of NASA, this image was taken Sunday. It's apparently currently twice this size:

500x_lafiresspace.jpg

Larger image here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/fires/main/usa/cafires_20090901.html

There are some pretty dramatic time lapse videos on Youtube of this fire. News reports now saying they've determined it was human caused.