• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Latest sat image of Ivan

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
www.noaa.gov :(

Just checked out the latest loop and it looks like the eastern half of the storm is gonna track directly over the western half of Cuba.

Just how sturdy are tobacco plants? :(

psyktek said:
www.noaa.gov :(

Just checked out the latest loop and it looks like the eastern half of the storm is gonna track directly over the western half of Cuba.

Just how sturdy are tobacco plants? :(
I don't think they are THAT sturdy!! :(

Bill

i am pretty pissed about ivan moving west. i was hoping we would get hit hard. i need my car destroyed so i can get insurance money for it.

If you need insurance money for you auto, drive it into a wall. The rest of us here in Sunny Central Florida are gald that it's gonna hit land somewhere by the Panhandle at the Alabama / Louisanna border..... :) :thumbs: :)

I am very glad he swung west...Tampabay would be a madhouse...I am 5 mins from the water....and was not looking forward to a hit.

Ivan looks like it may still swing west and land in Alabama.

-P-

I feel sorry for those getting hit, but I'm very glad it changed paths. My poor mom has already been hit repeatedly, including being without power for a few days thanks to Frances, so I really wasn't looking forward to her getting hit by a third hurricaine in like 2 weeks.

JonB said:
i am pretty pissed about ivan moving west. i was hoping we would get hit hard. i need my car destroyed so i can get insurance money for it.
:lookup:

I'm biting my tongue...... :angry:

JonB said:
Well com'on over. You've got plenty of time to make it to the panhandle.

I'll even let you park in my driveway. But only on one condition, you stay with the car at all times.

Brent

PS - Don't forget your scuba gear

As the hurricane's western edge drenched fields in Cuba's Pinar del Rio province, 20-foot-tall waves still were slamming the sea wall at the port in George Town, Grand Cayman.

An Associated Press crew flew over the Cayman Islands Monday, surveying Grand Cayman, where houses had been reduced to piles of plywood. Officials said the airport in George Town was not functioning and planes were being turned away.

The only signs of activity on the ground were animals congregating on higher ground.

Devastation in JamaicaWalter AstradaAssociated Press"The island looks like a war zone," said Diana Uzzell, a business manager on Grand Cayman.

In Cuba, residents said they feared for their lives.

"Last night, the wind blew like it was the end of the world," said Odalys Lorenzo, a community official at a shelter in southwest Cuba.

Cuban state television reported waves up to 15 feet crashing onto the southern coast of the Isla de Juventud southwest of the main island.

Ivan swirled toward cropland that produces Cuba's famed cigars, :( a region still recovering from the effects last month of Hurricane Charley. About 1.3 million Cubans were evacuated from particularly vulnerable areas.

Ivan heads for Cuba’s western tipAs the storm drenches Cuba, it was also expected to deliver strong waves, rain and wind to Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula to the southwest. The island of Cozumel shut its airport, halted the arrival of cruise ships and prohibited all maritime navigation. Visitors to Cancun were advised not to stray from their hotels.

Definitely feel for the Florida brothers once again....

Hopefully, it will weaken but it looks pretty mean right now.

If this thing comes up the coast, we're in big trouble here in Va.! We can't take any more rain and high wind here, ground is saturated as it is.......the trees will start falling like dominoes!!

I'm looking forward to friggin winter personally! :D

I've been keeping an eye on the hurricanes. That is some bad **** and for it all to happen in one summer?? ?? ??

I heard on the news this morning that the tobacco fields in Cuba are taking an ass kickin' of epic proportions.

It'll be interesting to see the stance our gov't takes on aid to Cuba. Could be the opening that has been needed for the embargo to be lifted. I'm thinking this is an opportunity for Bush to save face and lift the embargo on humanitarian grounds, without getting into it with all of the neysayers. Helping Fidel and his 'evil regime' in the short term, may not make perfect sense, but the long term benefits are too numerous to calculate. Maybe every cloud DOES have a silver lining.

As for you Floridians..........I feel for you. Hang in there.

M. Gipson

Looks like Ivan is going to be bringing in Louisiana, Alabama, and Missisissippi into the mix this time... Heck, even Galveston/Houston might get some residual storms. ???

gawntrail said:
I've been keeping an eye on the hurricanes. That is some bad **** and for it all to happen in one summer?? ?? ??

I heard on the news this morning that the tobacco fields in Cuba are taking an ass kickin' of epic proportions.

It'll be interesting to see the stance our gov't takes on aid to Cuba. Could be the opening that has been needed for the embargo to be lifted. I'm thinking this is an opportunity for Bush to save face and lift the embargo on humanitarian grounds, without getting into it with all of the neysayers. Helping Fidel and his 'evil regime' in the short term, may not make perfect sense, but the long term benefits are too numerous to calculate. Maybe every cloud DOES have a silver lining.

M. Gipson
From CNN:

Castro reiterated that his island nation would not accept any money from the United States or other countries that "have imposed economic sanctions against Cuba."

"The United States can save itself the hypocrisy of trying to help Cuba out in this situation," he said.

MilesMingusMonk said:
gawntrail said:

M. Gipson
From CNN:

Castro reiterated that his island nation would not accept any money from the United States or other countries that "have imposed economic sanctions against Cuba."

"The United States can save itself the hypocrisy of trying to help Cuba out in this situation," he said.
M3,

Thanks for the update. I didn't know Castro had taken that stance.

I wonder what the Cuban people think of that. I guess we'll find out after they see that we've rebuilt the other affected nations, and they are still stacking plywood and trying to salvage bricks.

M. Gipson

Let's hope the hurrican gets down sized :thumbs: . I'm in MS, all you AL and FL panhandle fellas stay strong. And you crazy cajuns in the marsh be safe! :D

This is a busy Hurricane season.
Ivan is a strong storm. Good luck to all who are in it's way
Floridas not done yet ???
look here

Bill

wam79 said:
This is a busy Hurricane season.
Ivan is a strong storm. Good luck to all who are in it's way
Floridas not done yet ???
look here

Bill
Man, there's no rest this season. Jeanne? Let's hope it gets carried east out into the North Atlantic.

gawntrail said:
Could be the opening that has been needed for the embargo to be lifted. I'm thinking this is an opportunity for Bush to save face and lift the embargo on humanitarian grounds, without getting into it with all of the neysayers. Helping Fidel and his 'evil regime' in the short term, may not make perfect sense, but the long term benefits are too numerous to calculate. Maybe every cloud DOES have a silver lining.
Never gonna happen. And thankfully so. Benefits? Yep there are a few. But to lift the embargo on the last pompous, blatant dictatorial regime in the Western hemisphere is completely contrary to our current focus. Call it communist if you want. It's been a dictatorship since the Russian missile fields shut down.