• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Layed off - 7 years of fun times are over ....

ML237

On a prowl ...can't stop...lost my mind...up in sm
Well today I got a call that most of us employed dread. Yup after 7 years I was getting layed off :(

In retrospect it was a good 7 years that fulfilled all my dreams and reasons of coming to US, studying in college & finally culminating moving to a place I knew nothing about (Chicago).

I came here without nothing, knowing nobody & having no connections in the industry to make something out of myself and for that I am happy & fulfilled! :)

I knew this was coming for some years now as my profession (of Floor Trader at the derivatives exchange) is sort of a dying dinosaur that has been faced extinction since the introduction of the electronic trading. Needless to say I have been trying for the past 3 years to branch out to other correlated positions but alias nothing was found that would even marginally replace that drive & satisfaction I have experienced at the pits.

The days of the independent trader ("local" as they are called) are long gone overrun by the large corporations with unlimited pocket books and a strategy of driving you out of business with maximizing the profits through enormous volume (volatility as well) for minimal margins.

So yet another young dinosaur keels over replaced by a fucking computer program ... funny how they forgot that people made them big in the first place. :angry:

No worries no bitterness here just venting after all this is just a beginning of another exciting chapter in the journey that is my life. ;)

Ahh but I do lament the good times and the camaraderie I had with those guys that we shared daily through good/bad times for that I do feel a certain sadness.

Now I am toasting a drink and having a Habano in celebration of good times I/we had & the unknown yet exciting times ahead. :thumbs:

Thanks for allowing me to express myself.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I think in this day and age, most of us who have been in the workplace for a while have been through this. It's not easy, but it usually works itself out in the end.

Keep in mind that getting your next job is your new job. I'm sure you'll land on your feet, I just hope it's sooner rather than later. Best of luck to you while you search.

Milan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad news. I know it's little consolation but I've been through that as many of us have. Sign of the times. I'm glad that you can celebrate the good times and look forward to the future, whatever that may be. That in itself is a god sign.

I'll light one up for you my friend.

Wilkey

Sorry to hear about that Milan, however, I know that you will be back on your feet in no time. Just another chapter in the journey!

damm, sorry to hear about the job loss. take some time and enjoy some r&r is possible.

Yep, I got laid off from my first job out of college after seven years.

When I got out of college, I wanted nothing more in the world to work for Hamilton Standard div of UTC figuring I'd have a whole career there. I started there in 1985 and around 1987, the company turned to shit and it's STILL as bad of a place to work now as it was in 1992 when I was laid off.

Looking back, I'm glad I did get laid off because if they didn't make my decision for me, I'd still be there and probably be as miserable as ever so looking back, it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

Sad to hear about the floor traders becoming a thing of the past Milan. I've been interested in futures trading since the early 1990s and thought seriously about moving to Chicago and working at the CBOT or the CME since it looked like lots of fun.

Best of luck to you.... ;) :thumbs:

I'm wishing you the best towards finding the next step up on the ladder as soon as possible.

Shawn

I wish I could join in your celebration. Best of luck to you Milan.

Baron

Milan - I hope this doesn't mean you are going to leave Chicago. I'll miss you at the herf's - it's always great to see you...

Good luck, bro - and if there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

Take care!

George

Well, sorry to hear that Milan. Best of luck to ya and hope all goes well in this new transition in life. :)

Sorry to hear the news, but, most people I know who have had this happen say, in retrospect, that it was a positive thing. It ends up allowing them to explore other opportunities they may not normally have taken a chance on.

Good luck!

I hear you, man. The good news is that I lost the two jobs previous to this one. I'm convinced it was Karma's way of telling me to get off my ass and move. Both times, I landed a better, higher paying job. 7 years ago, I ran afoul of the red headed bitch from hell, aka the COO and got fired for cause. From there, I've risen to manage about 2 million dial ports nation wide. So, how many of you are still dialing into the Internet? I'm constantly scanning the horizon.

Take some time off, then hit the ground running. Don't stop till you have something that you want.

Sorry to hear this.

It sounds like you've got the necessary tools to move on and find an even better station in life.

Good luck to you!

DAMN! sorry to hear this bro, but don't forget, when one door closes another opens. just getting to know you in schaumburg tells me you'll be all right. keep a stiff upper lip and lead with your right. GOOD LUCK! :cool:

Good luck, Milan. Although, with your attitude, I don't think you'll need it.

Gregor

Thank you all for being kind with your thoughts of support and your positive insight. :love: Feel a bit better although I have to say the reality of the situation hasn't set in yet. ??? The good thing is that I will have more time to spend with you guys here plus I already ordered some cigars before all this perspired so I should be all set for a while (avoiding the spending $$$ on cigars guilt trip) :sign:

Besides having time for those morning cigar experiences I always wanted I'll hopefully get around doing all those reviews I was putting away. ;) :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about this Milan, however, you never know what fate has in store for you! Hopefully the horizon looks good!

Wow, Milan sorry to hear about this. I know that you will land on your feet, or atleast go home with a stripper afterwards. :whistling:

Hale

Sorry to hear that Milan, hang in there buddy, something better will pull through for you! :)

I'm sorry to hear this. Life has a way of working out, hang in there!