• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Layed off - 7 years of fun times are over ....

Milan,

Sorry to hear this. I hope you'll be able to turn this for something bigger and better. Good luck and best wishes!

tone-ny said:
I'm sorry to hear this. Life has a way of working out, hang in there!
[snapback]297064[/snapback]​

Yeah - there's always that role in The Soprano's you've been putting off... :laugh:

ggiese said:
tone-ny said:

Yeah - there's always that role in The Soprano's you've been putting off... :laugh:
[snapback]297108[/snapback]​

I can only get you a real mob job :whistling:

ggiese said:
Milan - I hope this doesn't mean you are going to leave Chicago. I'll miss you at the herf's - it's always great to see you...

Good luck, bro - and if there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

Take care!

George
[snapback]296508[/snapback]​

No worries George not planning on leaving Chicago yet, although I'm considering all my options so who knows! ??? Either way I'll have plenty of time to make a few more HERF's even perhaps help organize one finally! :laugh: Also thanks for the offer G you (and other good BOTL) are already doing enough just for being here for me. Cheers! :thumbs:

gtphale said:
Wow, Milan sorry to hear about this. I know that you will land on your feet, or atleast go home with a stripper afterwards. :whistling:
Hale
[snapback]297052[/snapback]​

No worries Hale this was coming for some time now. As for me landing on my feet perhaps not possible if the stripper is involved! ;) :sign:

ML237 said:
Yup after 7 years I was getting layed off  :( 
[snapback]296482[/snapback]​

Milan

Sorry to hear, at least you have friends here to commiserate with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Chuck

Lopaka said:
Sorry to hear about this Milan, however, you never know what fate has in store for you! Hopefully the horizon looks good!
[snapback]297026[/snapback]​

Thanks Lopaka I'm looking forward to what fate throws my way! :whistling:

natejustice said:
Sorry to hear that Milan, hang in there buddy, something better will pull through for you! :)
[snapback]297063[/snapback]​

Thanks Nate making my own way from now on so it can't be that bad! ;)

siriusstoogie said:
Milan,
Sorry to hear this. I hope you'll be able to turn this for something bigger and better. Good luck and best wishes!
[snapback]297107[/snapback]​

Thanks Sirius for the well wishings looking forward to ch.ch.ch..changes :p

ggiese said:
tone-ny said:

[snapback]297108[/snapback]​

You mean Furio's old role
ep43_furio_carm.jpg
? :p

Nah I'll pass on that, Carmela isn't my type! :sign:

tone-ny said:
I can only get you a real mob job :whistling:
[snapback]297115[/snapback]​

Tone you mean like this? ;)
furio.jpg

Much appreciated, but let's just say Forgetaboutit ;-)
renaissancefed01d.jpg

besides me and Uncle Junior already have a gig down here in Windy City! :p
sopranos_l.jpg

Milan,

I use to day trade Nasdaq stocks in a large room and it was great for a few years. All the guys were fun and the environment was vibrant (probably similar to a pit but not quite as good). Then the opportunities started to dry up when the stock markets went to decimalisation and we started making less and less coin. I left day trading and started to trade my own capital. It was very difficult at first but over the years I made myself profitable and I now enjoy it so much more than day trading. You can make more money and have more personal free time.

ML237 said:
Well today I got a call that most of us employed dread. Yup after 7 years I was getting layed off :(

In retrospect it was a good 7 years that fulfilled all my dreams and reasons of coming to US, studying in college & finally culminating moving to a place I knew nothing about (Chicago).

I came here without nothing, knowing nobody & having no connections in the industry to make something out of myself and for that I am happy & fulfilled! :)

I knew this was coming for some years now as my profession (of Floor Trader at the derivatives exchange) is sort of a dying dinosaur that has been faced extinction since the introduction of the electronic trading. Needless to say I have been trying for the past 3 years to branch out to other correlated positions but alias nothing was found that would even marginally replace that drive & satisfaction I have experienced at the pits.

The days of the independent trader ("local" as they are called) are long gone overrun by the large corporations with unlimited pocket books and a strategy of driving you out of business with maximizing the profits through enormous volume (volatility as well) for minimal margins.

So yet another young dinosaur keels over replaced by a fucking computer program ... funny how they forgot that people made them big in the first place. :angry:

No worries no bitterness here just venting after all this is just a beginning of another exciting chapter in the journey that is my life. ;)

Ahh but I do lament the good times and the camaraderie I had with those guys that we shared daily through good/bad times for that I do feel a certain sadness.

Now I am toasting a drink and having a Habano in celebration of good times I/we had & the unknown yet exciting times ahead. :thumbs:

Thanks for allowing me to express myself.
[snapback]296482[/snapback]​

I feel for ya buddy. It's not a good thing to lose your job. I know a few people who live in trailer parks right now because they lost their high paying cushy jobs. Some of them work at 7 Eleven for $9.00 per hour. The first thing that you have to do is to cut back on your expenses. Then try to find some work like working in fast food or in retail. It will take some time, but you will eventually move up to store manager and make $12 to $14 an hour. Give it some time. Things will work out for you.

jabba said:
Milan,

I use to day trade Nasdaq stocks in a large room and it was great for a few years. All the guys were fun and the environment was vibrant (probably similar to a pit but not quite as good). Then the opportunities started to dry up when the stock markets went to decimalisation and we started making less and less coin. I left day trading and started to trade my own capital. It was very difficult at first but over the years I made myself profitable and I now enjoy it so much more than day trading. You can make more money and have more personal free time.

[snapback]297234[/snapback]​

Hey Jabba I know exactly what you saying bro! Decimalisation just killed the B/A spread and made it that much harder to make competitive markets for locals. Those bigger capitalization market players just proceeded in providing huge yet so much thiner markets that would provide random whiplashes that would make us smaller guys "puke" their position every so often and then just to watch them come back and sigh in disgust. :angry2:

Hey but that is all part of efficient market and ever changing evolving market conditions these days, right?! So you either find your niche and adapt or stay at status quo and become extinct. The good thing is, as you stated, is finding your way, getting the fun back realizing a profitable strategy of trading your position. The good thing is I'm still young and will hopefully be able to find my way just as you did.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. :)

Wayno said:
I feel for ya buddy. It's not a good thing to lose your job. I know a few people who live in trailer parks right now because they lost their high paying cushy jobs. Some of them work at 7 Eleven for $9.00 per hour. The first thing that you have to do is to cut back on your expenses. Then try to find some work like working in fast food or in retail. It will take some time, but you will eventually move up to store manager and make $12 to $14 an hour. Give it some time. Things will work out for you.
[snapback]297341[/snapback]​

Thanks Wayno for your "enthusiastic advice", but no offense to you (or any of your trailer park buddies) I'm shooting I bit higher then a job in retail/fast food even if it is a highly coveted managerial position. ;) :whistling:

Milan,
I got faith in you brother!
You'll be up and running in no time.
If you don't mind moving to NY/CT I can see if my buddy's firm is hiring. He is a derivitives trader...
-Rob

Damn Milan..

Sorry to hear about this.
If you need anything dont hesitate to ask.

ffopusxff said:
Good luck, and hope things turn around.
[snapback]298057[/snapback]​

Thanks bro as they say shit happens ;-)

rob300c said:
Milan,
I got faith in you brother!
You'll be up and running in no time.
If you don't mind moving to NY/CT I can see if my buddy's firm is hiring. He is a derivitives trader...
-Rob
[snapback]298321[/snapback]​

Thank you Rob for your kind offer and well wishes. Right now I'll be taking some time off and honestly rethinking at what direction I want to take my next carrier move. There were many opportunities and ideas I have been passing by due to current commitments and right now I'm all about rethinking some of them and seeing if there is a right fir for me. In the mean time I'll be spending my time smoking some nice cigars & hanging with you fine BOTL.

alexgtp said:
Damn Milan..

Sorry to hear about this.
If you need anything dont hesitate to ask.
[snapback]298329[/snapback]​

Thanks bro I'll figure something out. If I do need a ride or some nice cigars I'll make sure I give you a ring :p :sign:

ML237 said:
Wayno said:
[snapback]297341[/snapback]​

Thanks Wayno for your "enthusiastic advice", but no offense to you (or any of your trailer park buddies) I'm shooting I bit higher then a job in retail/fast food even if it is a highly coveted managerial position. ;) :whistling:
[snapback]298049[/snapback]​

I wish you all the luck in finding your dream job. All that I know is that the job market is really bad and there are not too many jobs out there that pay well anymore. Most of the 4.6 million new jobs that were created since September 11th are mostly all in the service sector of the American economy and most of them pay shit. I thought that you already knew this. The only jobs that pay well are the ones in biotech and some of the high tech computer jobs. The rest of the jobs that are out there pay low wages.