• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laying down bottle question...

slevy007

The Broke Smoker & 2006 Ash Standing Champion!
Hey everyone,

I have got a quick question... I have a Haier 55 botl compressor type fridge that just freed up. I was thinking about using it as a beer fridge, but would I be able to store beer horizontally on the shelving like wine bottles would lay? I only ask, because that seems that I would not be able to fit many bottles sitting upright..

Thanks in advance,
Steve

While everyone does it differently, Beer Advocate has a writeup about storing beer. Are these bottles corked or caped?

You have to think about oxygen exposure over time, on it's side you have a larger area exposed, whereas upright you only have a dime shaped area.

I've never laid a bottle down if I can help it, as most bottle conditioned beers should always be (aged) upright.

-Jimmy

What Jimmy said.

However, I use my wine fridge for beers I plan on drinking soon. As long as you don't plan on leaving them in there for long term to age it should be fine. Bottle conditioned beers like corked and caged Belgian's will leave sediment on the sides of the bottles sitting on the side instead of the bottom. You will have to be extra careful with the pour if you don't want it getting washed out into your glass.

What Jimmy said.

However, I use my wine fridge for beers I plan on drinking soon. As long as you don't plan on leaving them in there for long term to age it should be fine. Bottle conditioned beers like corked and caged Belgian's will leave sediment on the sides of the bottles sitting on the side instead of the bottom. You will have to be extra careful with the pour if you don't want it getting washed out into your glass.

Got ya. What do you consider drinking soon though?

Steve

What Jimmy said.

Got ya. What do you consider drinking soon though?

Steve

Within three to five months.