• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Left partially smoked cigar in my humidor....help

rdnkjdi

So yeah - I don't know what I was thinking. But I did it. And now - when I leave my humidor closed - it doesn't smell like wonderful fresh cigars. It smells like rained on, half way smoked and sun dried cigars X 3.

I've left the humidor open for a few days - and I can't smell it after a while. Until I leave it closed and then it comes back with a vengeance.

Any ideas?

The smell has seeped into the wood. I'm thinking that if it's a small humi then you might as well toss it.

The smell was probably absorbed into the grain of the wood.

Not sure what this would do, but you can always try and put your humi open in the sun and see if the wood grain allows the smell to gas out. Just make sure that you pull all your cigars out first. You might need to re-season after, but it might work.

Or, maybe it's time to look at a new humi.

...take the humidor to an open area, liberally apply kerosene, ignite with a wood match. Problem solved.... :p

BS aside, I'm afraid you're screwed....if the stench impinged itself into the wood, I'm not sure what you can do. You could try airing it out and maybe heating it up with a blow dryer to get it to outgas....but I'm afraid it's a goner.

Fill it with cedar shavings, put it outside (open) and let mother nature do her thing.........

I'd be afraid of the sun/heat warping the wood. I'd recommend drying the box out with a dessicant and just let it air out for a month/year/decade.

It's trash material unfortunately. We had someone give us a 150 count that had a similar story. We sanded it, and left it outside in the sun to air out, and after a little while the pungent odor went away. BUT the moment we rehumidified the humidor, the smell came right back, despite repeating the process over and over again!

Regardless of what we did to remove the smell, it never left. So dry it out until the smell has gone away and use it as a crap catcher, or for bands or cigar related tools.

Hopefully you're not talking about an aristocrat... ???

See threat about another guy making his humidor a cup.

Where on earth do you people COME from? Seriously!

This topic pops up every so often, and every time, I think . . . WTF? Are people really that clueless?

Bonfire kindling, man. Stop and think next time.

~Boar

Depending on how long you left the cigar in you humidor and how deep the odor has penetrated the wood, you could trying sanding the in side of the box down.

But as most has said it sounds like the odor has seeped deep into the wood.

Good Luck.

You could start deeply sniffing every full ashtray you come across. That way you won't even notice the faint smell of your humi, think outside the box! ;)

do what i am thinking of doing with one m humidors which i have been experimenting with,put coffee and chocolate and mint oil in there, buy a bunch of 1 dollar or 2 dollar cigars and make your own Java cigar.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=sp-ca27

this replaced my old humidor which i am experimenting with right now, and its a pretty ok humidor. what i am going to do for the top is take ceder wood from a cigar box and cover the window. and for added coolness I am going to stick cigars wrappers to the outside of the glass.

Fill it full of coffee beans and baking soda 50/50 mix. Let it sit closed up for a week or two. Then let it sit open in an area where it will get plenty of direct UV sunlight for several days. Lightly sand and re-season. The smell should be gone.

BIL made the same stupid mistake and said this did the trick for his.

If it was a $50 humidor I'd toss it. Unfortunately - it's this. (Except black). And I'm in love with it.

They were only there for a few days - I've alternated leaving it open\not open and it *seems* to have cleared up. I like the cedar shavings\coffee beans idea. I think I'm going to try that just to clear anything that's left up.

Oh wow.
For the sake of your sanity and your pocketbook, I hope you get this resolved.

Fill it full of coffee beans and baking soda 50/50 mix. Let it sit closed up for a week or two. Then let it sit open in an area where it will get plenty of direct UV sunlight for several days. Lightly sand and re-season. The smell should be gone.

Not sure if it will work, but this is what I was thinking.

Just realized I hadn't posted a follow up. The coffee beans + baking soda worked wonders. Good as new!