• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lets Play Walmart Bingo

.......but be careful with the comments posts guys. There might be some members out there who love their full figured wives interracial children the way they are. Wouldn't want to be offensive now, would we. ;)

Taken from a post earlier....... tweaked a bit to make it just as relevant here.

When someone picks out the one about race, though, as in "oh shit, he said something about race" that just looks stupid.

So I guess I look stupid then. Just for a point of reference, does that make my kid look stupid too? I just want to know how I'm supposed to take it.

I'm not adding to the drama anymore. I laughed at the stupid joke.

You added plenty, John. You said I look stupid because I took exception to it. You can't answer my other question?

I have a horse in this race, and I took offense to it not only on a personal basis, but as an insult to this board.

I don't think this is the kind of thing we want visitors to look at and judge us from. It is racist, not just with skin color, but with someone who may have lost an eye, someone than can not walk, etc...

How about if that person who doesn't have a limb lost it due to serving their country to protect our rights. Would you want him to feel the stares and wondering if someone is playing "Wal-Mart Bingo"?

Yes, it's a joke, but to some it's not funny. Some of the choices on the card or not chosen by people, but the just what life dealt them. Do you teach you're kids to play "Wal-Mart Bingo"?

Rich

bigwhiteash, thank you for making this a better thread and showing what can be funny.

I normally don't post on these kind of threads, but this one is to far, even for this newbie.

No one here is really "playing" this. I'm sorry for calling you stupid, Tom. I know how this can be offensive (more than just the race line). I still get a chuckle out of this but if you think I'm treating anyone different when I myself shop at Walmart, you're incorrect.

Is there a handbook I can get somewhere that tells me which stereotypes are just jokes and which ones are offensive? There must be something that's off limits, but I'm finding it harder to figure it out.

Go ahead and call me hyper-sensitive (there are times I may be), but it wouldn't hurt for a little more sensitivity to be on display here out of respect for others.

You are hyper-sensitive.

One thing I notice about that card, a long with the racist tone, is that it's unavoidably classist. With as varied of a population as we have here on the board, not to mention the countless people who find us every day through google and whatnot, it's definitely not appropriate, in my opinion. I'm sure it was posted as a joke, but you gotta think about the audience before you post things like this.

You don't really want to go too far down this 'PC' road mate. Cause when we get to the end, the only jokes we could tell would go something like this:

One day/night, a non-disclosed event transpired that may/may not have been amusing. Bystanders shared a laugh/respectful conversation at the closing of said event. No animals were harmed in the making of this joke/sentence.

You don't really want to go too far down this 'PC' road mate. Cause when we get to the end, the only jokes we could tell would go something like this:

One day/night, a non-disclosed event transpired that may/may not have been amusing. Bystanders shared a laugh/respectful conversation at the closing of said event. No animals were harmed in the making of this joke/sentence.

Mac, there's a difference between being politically correct and being inappropriate in the place and time. Would this be funny amongst a group of friends? Maybe. Would it be acceptable in a school? Probably not. You have to know your audience, this kind of thing isn't what you'd want someone to see when they're trying to assess what type of community we are. All in my opinion, of course.

I suppose you're right. Let's just go all out, shall we? No holds barred, unabashed, boorish, rude, crude, racist, class warfare, misogynistic, anti-wahtever religion, political, base humor and stereotypical denigration of everyone. That's not a real good way to attract quality people to a site. This stuff reflects on the whole site.

You may not mind the tone it sets, and I respect that. However, there are many different types of people from many different backgrounds here and to alienate people based on something as easily avoidable as offensive humor does not reflect well on a site that asserts its "membership at CP is among the friendliest" (taken from the CP homepage).

We have a precedent in place.

See my kids? Are you laughing at my kids? Then there is an issue. To allow even the slightest hint of racism is no different than coming right out and saying it. So in short, I too am offended and so is the rest of my family.

I guess we can't all be as uber laid-back as I am, I suppose. (wow... there really isn't a way to say that without sounding like a douche... oh well).

Hmmm.. I reckon I treat this place too much like a group of friends over the public forum it clearly is. While I may not change my ways because of this realisation, thankfully my humour is more absurdist and not really derogatory. Lucky for me I guess.

Wow people love drama it was a joke card that pokes fun at everyone White, multi racial and all that’s what makes it funny. As for people who are offended I am sorry but there is a lot of stuff posted on here that is just as offensive. I know a few people who will not join cause of the links to NSFW pics. So it is not ok to poke fun at everyone (as the card did it did not pick on one race it made fun of everyone) but it is perfectly ok to exploited young women for our old man enjoyment (not that I care I enjoy them :) ) but what I am saying is not everyone will think a joke is funny just like not like everyone will think other stuff we post is appropriate. I have removed the walmart card just to stop the drama. And I’m really kind of sad that we have nothing better to do then just let it go. rp

ohh and for the record
my first wife was Mexican we have one child together so am I a racist cause I thought it was funny
my grandmother has to ride the scooters when she goes to walmart cause she cant walk
my brothers wife has a tramp stamp

hell I can almost get a bingo at a family reunion! rp

Wow people love drama it was a joke card that pokes fun at everyone White, multi racial and all that’s what makes it funny. As for people who are offended I am sorry but there is a lot of stuff posted on here that is just as offensive. I know a few people who will not join cause of the links to NSFW pics. So it is not ok to poke fun at everyone (as the card did it did not pick on one race it made fun of everyone) but it is perfectly ok to exploited young women for our old man enjoyment (not that I care I enjoy them :) ) but what I am saying is not everyone will think a joke is funny just like not like everyone will think other stuff we post is appropriate. I have removed the walmart card just to stop the drama. And I’m really kind of sad that we have nothing better to do then just let it go. rp

ohh and for the record
my first wife was Mexican we have one child together so am I a racist cause I thought it was funny
my grandmother has to ride the scooters when she goes to walmart cause she cant walk

Don't stress too much mate, I know where you were coming from. Good point about the NSFW stuff too. Different strokes for different folks I guess. My biggest beef with this whole discussion is the ambiguity of what is acceptable and what is not. The line here is damn blurry.

There have been many times I wanted to have a bit of a dig at someone, all in fun mind you, and hesitated because I know someone is going to take offence somehow. Different culture maybe? Most Australian humour is dry and self-depreciating as much as it is sarcastic towards others.

But I guess while your post doesn't bother me, it bothered a few people. Shame when you have to hold your tongue when it comes to a bit of a joke. Man, is my tongue going to get dry...

ohh and for the record

Don't stress too much mate, I know where you were coming from. Good point about the NSFW stuff too. Different strokes for different folks I guess. My biggest beef with this whole discussion is the ambiguity of what is acceptable and what is not. The line here is damn blurry.

There have been many times I wanted to have a bit of a dig at someone, all in fun mind you, and hesitated because I know someone is going to take offence somehow. Different culture maybe? Most Australian humour is dry and self-depreciating as much as it is sarcastic towards others.

But I guess while your post doesn't bother me, it bothered a few people. Shame when you have to hold your tongue when it comes to a bit of a joke. Man, is my tongue going to get dry...

What you're not getting is the subject of venue.

Only a comedienne on stage can successfully walk into a room full of strangers and joke about whatever they feel like. There are aspects of that card that individually, readers of this thread found funny, amusing, ironic, etc. There are aspects of that card that many of us found objectionable, hurtful, personally insulting, etc. This place is essentially a room full of strangers, and should be treated as such when it comes to humor.

The same reasons for not discussing politics and religion apply. Those discussions and humor directed at groups (as opposed to individuals) should be kept for private audiences.

Our Constitution does not guarantee that we won't be offended. I know where my line is. While this one tickled it, mostly because I grew up with these people, I shook it off and moved on without pissing in anyones cornflakes. I reckon that if this crossed your line, you should say something. Pet, the moment someone raised an issue, you should have RETRACTED IT (n/m, I see you did).
John, I thought you were a prick in this thread. Does your command offer any sensitivity training?

John, I thought you were a prick in this thread. Does your command offer any sensitivity training?
Think what you want. I thought it was silly someone was offended by a single square instead of the whole nature of the joke.